Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dead State Needs You

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

<p>The gang at DoubleBear is <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2268.0.html" target="_blank">looking for budding Prosperians</a> to help get <a href="http://www.doublebearproductions.com/?page_id=7" target="_blank"><strong>Dead State</strong></a> out the door.</p>
<blockquote>So, here&rsquo;s the pitch &ndash; are you a modder looking to work on an original title? Are you new to the game industry and looking to get professional credit on your resume? Are you an experienced game developer looking to work on a zombie RPG in your spare time because you&rsquo;ve always wanted to play one? We are looking for folks like you.<br /><br />Now, a few things about the project. We have very little funding &ndash; work on the project ranges from contribution for credit in the game to payment after the project comes out (for the long-term members of the team). This is not likely to change, so this is NOT a full-time job with a salary, though if the game does well enough (and we like your work) it could lead to paid work on future projects.<br /><br />We&rsquo;re not expecting full-time hours &ndash; attitude, efficiency, and reliability are key. We&rsquo;re looking for team members that can complete tasks they&rsquo;ve agreed to take on within a reasonable amount of time and communicate their progress to the leads. Professional discretion about your work is expected. Working well with the team is a must.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br /><br />For programmers:<br />We are primarily looking for someone with game programming/scripting background. Knowledge of Torque 3D and TorqueScript is highly preferable. You will be working with the Lead Programmer and Project Lead on most of your tasks.<br /><br />Tools Programmer - Developing tools to make implementation of content easier. GUI work a big plus.<br /><br />Examples of tool duties:<br />-Script Editor<br />-Journal Editor<br />-Loot Container tool<br />-Art implementation and lighting tools<br /><br />Scripting Programmer - The scripting programmer uses the engine's scripting language to create scripts for dialogue (a lot of these), for events/event triggers, time passage, tracking stats, and bark text.<br /><br />Examples of Scripting:<br />-Global dialogue flags<br />-Combat triggers<br />-Quest update triggers<br />-Scene triggers<br />-XP/item rewards</blockquote>
<p><br /><em>No thanks to villain of the story</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Murk

Arcane
Hello.

I am a nameless and faceless person who, through years of unemployment and a failed social life, has garnered more posts than any person should.

I have no technical skills whatsoever, am completely unaware of what is actually required to participate in such a project, and am guaranteeing you that I will be neither motivated nor patient enough to actually get through this project from start to finish, even as dead weight.

I am however a good writer. I have been told so by my high school and/or community college professor.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Andhaira

Arcane
Why isn't Vaultweller helping them? Does he think he is too good for indie titles?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It's because VaultDweller already does 2 jobs. His day job and then AoD. I'm pretty sure he would pick Dead State as his third job but unfortunately he's a lazy fucker and wants to sleep at least 3 hours a day.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Maybe they need to outsource to India and Pakistan if they're really desperate.

Zak

Educated
Drog should help them! Like, seriously.

Do it Drog, use your powers for good!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Recommend they recruit Cleve Blakemore.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'd sign up for scripting but I have a Codex to upgrade. And another site I need to finish. Plus another one on the list after that. Then there are three projects of my own that I need to manage plus another two I fiddle with from time to time, not to mention building epic shit in Minecraft...

I could pretend to be doing work on it for about eight years though. I have prior experience in this field.

Bulba

Learned
DarkUnderlord said:
I'd sign up for scripting but I have a Codex to upgrade. And another site I need to finish. Plus another one on the list after that. Then there are three projects of my own that I need to manage plus another two I fiddle with from time to time, not to mention building epic shit in Minecraft...

I could pretend to be doing work on it for about eight years though. I have prior experience in this field.

What a coincidence - I am also an exellent pretender. We should form a company called "Pretenders" LTD and charge indie game developers money for our work. When they go bust we can always say "Oh well shit happens", if they don't we can hire someone else to do the work.

tindrli

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:

seems to me like a definition for LAZINES!!!!!!

Wait, what is this? He goes and posts something like this after the other day posting things about how he will pick and choose those who review his game, and only from those who behave in a completely professional way?

The hypocrisy here is rather irritating

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
RK47 said:
Maybe they need to outsource to India and Pakistan if they're really desperate.
And have the game filled with inanity? No, the price is too high.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Gakkone said:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2268.msg73564.html#msg73564

So which one of you is this?

I feel sorry for them if it's actually Prosper.

Whoever posted that is shit at pretending to be prosper.

At least do some homework on your subject you are pretending to be.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
indie companies posting job openings with rather detailed requirements are unprofessional? how's the weather in bizarro world, trollwad?

curry

Arcane
So, did I get this right: someone should work for them for free and then they'll just take the profit like real Jews?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
work for credits or payment after release is standard practice with small self-funded projects. also the most futile one.

Wunderpurps

Educated
SuicideBunny said:
indie companies posting job openings with rather detailed requirements are unprofessional? how's the weather in bizarro world, trollwad?

It's not unproffessional it's delusional. That's a list of several years of work, all of which has to be completed before the affected parts can even be started (so dialog and quests done so far, if any, must be thrown out). Delusional State is a much better name for this project.

I had a lot of hopes for this project but seeing that post it's obvious that while Brian may be a good writer he has no fucking idea what it takes to make software.

I thought that they had all the tools made before even starting, from the AOD project. If AOD is just scripting every bit of every quest and every dialog no fucking wonder it never gets any closer to completion, and neither will dead state if that's the case. I've done loads of work like that and a simple conversation is hours and hours and hours. Add in complex interaction like the people here expect in a game and it goes from 10 hours for a small dialog to 100 hours.

So obviously you can't realistically do things that way, but if he's been working on it 3 years and just now realizes he needs tools then POOF vaporware. Which also makes me wonder WTF AOD has been doing all this time, aside from 5000 mockup GUIs.

This is reality calling, you are about 15% done with this project not 85%.

The unprofessional part is where you attention whore your project for three years then you go on a tirade about dickheads who want to review your game not measuring up to your standards of professionalism. Which at first made me think hey maybe this guy really will be done next year like he says and he is such hot shirt, but then when he turns around and makes this post it's comedic gold. Oh, I see, he'll never ever be finishing.

Basically he's saying I MADE SOME ART AND WROTE SOME STUFF. PLZ DO ALL THE ACTUAL WORK FOR ME FOR FREE NOW. There's a million projects saying the same thing on game sites (and none of them ever get done, either) but most of them are teenagers. When it comes from a grown man who's worked on a real game before it's hard to tell whether to laugh or cry.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
So.. they expect you to work for free while THEY get paid for it and take most of the credit for your work while you get a 'pat on the shoulder'. LMFAO

MCA
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1803421

Davaris said:
They should use their name to raise money. If some unknown can raise $10,000, the guy that wrote VtMB should be able to do a lot better.

Lifeless Planet Trailer 1
http://vimeo.com/27842764

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dav ... dventure-g

I agree. There are more indie projects that manage to find financial support from a faceless nameless audiance of wishful fans but a few things common to nearly most of them is:

Presentation. They make gameplay videos, show things in action. Things that tickle potential audiances who could want a project live.

Rapid feature updates.

Transparency, Public Alpha or Open/Closed Betas. They let people in and let them talk about the all the good and bad things about the game. So people know it's going somewhere. That developers are open to criticism and discussion about design. That if you donate, you won't just guess "well, I wonder what's been happening with those guys".

Difficulty with AoD and DS is they intend to be conventional commercial games, ie. none of the above apply. Granted, VD has been VERY transparent and open to discussion but almost always, things had to come to a certain point for him to start doing that. At one point, he's "the game's almost complete, we're polishing, not taking design suggestions at this point" and a few weeks later, he'll be revising entire systems and taking a lot of pointers from the community. Or the interface revisions. A simple thread about GUI suggestions cascaded into a major overhaul that ultimately led to the entire game getting a graphical overhaul. And yet, we're still hearing the same "the game's almost complete, we're polishing".

Perhaps, Brian & Annie should take a few pointers from the amateur indie scene instead of following the traditional method. That latter just doesn't lend itself well for an upstart indie project. It has taken an awful lot of time for VD to get AoD to its current state and he is the first to admit he has had an oversight regarding time. It can't get any better for Mitsodas with DS. I don't see DS coming out before 2014 (if they are lucky) following the current closed model.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom