Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Baldur's Gate is Game Developers' All-time Favorite

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Baldur's Gate; BioWare

<p>Over 1000 game developers voted BG for their all-time favorite game, <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-08-game-devs-favourite-is-baldurs-gate" target="_blank">reports Eurogamer</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>A 1000 developers have voted Baldur's Gate as their favourite all-time game, the World Gaming Executives network has announced.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>BioWare's seminal RPG beat the Diablo series (second) and the Curse of Monkey Island series (third) to the crown.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Shadow of the Colossus (fourth), the Mass Effect series (fifth), Batman: Arkham Asylum (sixth), StarCraft (seventh), The Legend of Zelda (eighth), EverQuest (ninth) and Devil May Cry (10th) followed.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>From 11 to 20, the list read: Tomb Raider series (11th), BioShock (12th), Metal Gear Solid (13th), World of Warcraft (14th), Deus Ex (15th), Super Mario series (16th), Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (17th), Silent Hill (18th), Assassin's Creed (19th), Deadspace (20th).</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Weird list.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105619-baldurs-gate-is-game-developers-all-time-favorite.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Wyrmlord

Arcane
There is a special magazine for video game development company Executives alone?

It is a weird list, because 1000 people were polled. So you are going to have many different people with many different tastes all voting together, until the final product is least expected.

However, I am surprised that gaming executives have tastes not too far from the general gaming consumer. I imagine a GameSpot or GameSpy poll of their readers would not produce a list that looks any different.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
And you guys thought that they all love Fallout and PST and never funded making of such a game just because of money :lol: ?

Repressed Homosexual
My take is that game developers are aging and are largely becoming jaded with gaming, so of course they will prefer more mainstream, streamlined title. You see this over and over when you ask developers what they favorite titles are. None of them tend to prefer games that are more complex/hardcore. One just has to remember Tim Cain picking Oblivion as his favorite RPG of the 2000s.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Humanity has risen! said:
One just has to remember Tim Cain picking Oblivion as his favorite RPG of the 2000s.

You've never heard of politics?

Wunderpurps

Educated
When he posts as Prosper he can tell the truths. If he wants to be employed he has to be more politic in what he says as Tim Cain.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've played 10 out of those 20 top games/series, liked 4, loved 2 and pretty much hated the rest. Oh well, at least AAA developers come up with completely original ideas and don't just try to emulate what clicked with them and the reviewers right? ... Right? :(

juggernaut

Educated
Humanity has risen! said:
My take is that game developers are aging and are largely becoming jaded with gaming, so of course they will prefer more mainstream, streamlined title. You see this over and over when you ask developers what they favorite titles are. None of them tend to prefer games that are more complex/hardcore. One just has to remember Tim Cain picking Oblivion as his favorite RPG of the 2000s.

Hmm, my take was that this list makes developers look about 17 years old :/ Dead Space, Assassin's Creed, Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect in an ALL TIME list from adults? I was expecting some 80's arcade games or something from middle aged devs, maybe they are further down the list. Another thing I don't understand is why Bioshock keeps popping up in these things. I guess it was earth-shattering to someone whose first fps was Halo, but I (foolishly) expect more from people who should know better.
Lastly,

the Curse of Monkey Island series

:x

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Wyrmlord said:
However, I am surprised that gaming executives have tastes not too far from the general gaming consumer. I imagine a GameSpot or GameSpy poll of their readers would not produce a list that looks any different.

Oh you "imagine". I doubt that.

-Gamespy Top 8:
1)Doom
2)Half-Life
3)Warcraft II
4)Civilization II
5)Starcraft
6)Quake
7)Diablo
8)The Legend of Zelda

-Empire:
1)Super Mario World
2)Final Fantasy VII
3)World of Warcraft
4)Call of Duty 4
5)Civilization IV
6)Street Fighter II
7)Doom
8)Ocarina of Time

-Unikgamer:
1)Ocarina of Time
2)Mass Effect 2
3)Half-Life 2
4)Final Fantasy VII
5)Fallout 3
6)Super Mario World
7)Resident Evil 4
8)Portal

-Moby Games:
1)Tetris
2)Ocarina of Time
3)Soulcalibur
4)Super Mario Bros 3
5)Metroid Prime
6)Resident Evil 4
7)Twilight Princess
8)Super Mario Galaxy

-IGN:Editor's Choice
1)Super Mario Bros
2)Tetris
3)Civilization II
4)Ocarina of Time
5)Super Mario
6)Half-Life 2
7)Super Metroid
8)A Link to the Past

-IGN:Reader's Choice:
1)Ocarina of Time
2)Chrono Trigger
3)Soulcalibur
4)A Link to the Past
5)Snake Eater
6)Super Metroid
7)Goldeneye 007
8)Metal Gear Solid

-Game Informer:
1)The Legend of Zelda
2)Super Mario Bros
3)Tetris
4)GTA III
5)Half-Life 2
6)Doom
7)Metroid
8)Final Fantasy VI

-E.G.M.:
1)Super Mario Bros
2)Pac-Man
3)Street Fighter II
4)Tetris
5)The Legend of Zelda
6)Super Mario
7)Space Invaders
8)Ocarina of Time

-Old-Wizard:
1)A Link to the Past
2)Super Mario Bros
3)Chrono Trigger
4)Super Metroid
5)Symphony of the Night
6)Final Fantasy VI
7)Secret of Mana
8)Super Mario Kart

-Guiness World Records:
1)Super Mario Kart
2)Tetris
3)GTA III
4)Super Mario World
5)Ocarina of Time
6)Halo
7)Resident Evil IV
8)Final Fantasy XII

-Gamerankings:
1)Ocarina of Time
2)Super Mario Galaxy
3)Super Mario Galaxy 2
4)GTA IV
5)Soulcalibur
6)Uncharted 2
7)Metroid Prime
8)Tekken 3

-Metacritic:
1)GTA IV
2)Super Mario Galaxy
3)Super Mario Galaxy 2
4)GTA III
5)Half-Life 2
6)Bioshock
7)Uncharted 2
8)Metroid Prime

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Rivmusique said:
I've played 10 out of those 20 top games/series, liked 4, loved 2 and pretty much hated the rest. Oh well, at least AAA developers come up with completely original ideas and don't just try to emulate what clicked with them and the reviewers right? ... Right? :(

I can't even name that many. I can, with a stretch, name 7.

Yeah, "all time" polls are retarded, film at 11.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Awor Szurkrarz said:
And you guys thought that they all love Fallout and PST and never funded making of such a game just because of money :lol: ?

Well they like Baldur's Gate which for all its creakiness actually is a RPG based on ancient PnP rules, so why don't they make more like it with obvious improvements of course? TOEE isn't radically different in presentation and style after all, so if all the dev's were making a game like this I'm sure there'd be room for more TOEE style offshoots.

I'd say most of the older PC devs picked BG as they are from that era of influence, with the newer ones picking the crap on offer these days. That's the big tragedy here, that Mass Effect, CoD and Bioshock feature prominently as developer favs. With such influences there can be no bright future.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
commie said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

Well they like Baldur's Gate which for all its creakiness actually is a RPG based on ancient PnP rules, so why don't they make more like it with obvious improvements of course? TOEE isn't radically different in presentation and style after all, so if all the dev's were making a game like this I'm sure there'd be room for more ToEE style offshoots.
Baldur's Gate is the game which started the whole "TB is outdated" madness. ToEE was attacked for not being RTwP.
Baldur's Gate a linear epic storyfag game, while ToEE has the whole mutliple endings and multiple paths things going on.
Baldur's Gate has lots of pre-made "companions", while ToEE is about creating one's own party (though it's quite playable when played like Baldur's Gate).
Baldur's Gate has very limited stat influence on dialogue options while ToEE has a full Fallout-style stat-based dialogue.

They are very different as games.

And to be honest, despite the mechanical shittiness of BG and it general backwardness, I kinda managed to get into it back then after getting access to a character editor. It has nice atmosphere and the whole child of a bad god thing was original enough at that time.
When it comes to ToEE, I admire its mechanics and general design, but I never found it really engaging. My basic reaction to ToEE is - damn... Hommlet again? No thanks.
I think that Troika really missed some important people from the Fallout team.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Over 1000 developers are wrong. The list is at least halfway solid though.

commie said:
Well they like Baldur's Gate which for all its creakiness actually is a RPG based on ancient PnP rules, so why don't they make more like it with obvious improvements of course?
Same answer as always, they don't make games for themselves.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Re: Baldur's Gate is Game Developers' All-time Favorite

It's not entirely clear from the article, but I think they are combining votes for BG1 and BG2 in that result. Notice that a lot of other full series are listed.

This would make a lot more sense. Baldur's gate is kind of boring and empty, but BG2 is one of the best RPGs ever made and it hit the sweet spot of being able to appeal to both serious RPG fans and casualfags.

TOEE looks similar, but TOEE is spoiled by constant amateur design errors. The difference in quality control and craftsmanship between TOEE and BG2 is night and day, despite TOEE having better mechanics.

TOEE devs just copied a P&P module, without properly adjusting it to the format. Only a rookie DM would do that, but these professional game designers did it. Hommlet is literally 3 hours of tedium on an unspoiled playthrough, in a game that is supposedly a dungeon crawler. What a recipe for turning people off!

Meanwhile, in BG2 a lot more attention was paid to pacing things out properly and things generally move along very smoothly.

I could keep going but I need to leave.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I think it's a mistake to assume that all the people polled are fellow veteran hobbyists who have followed gaming from hallowed 80s and remember installing from diskettes fondly or whatever

they could very well be BA dudes who kinda dig some halo and madden once in a while with their bros

a lot of the top games are games for people who didn't like games so I can't say I'm very surprised

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
That's a respectable list IMO. If I would have bothered with consoles post-nintentdo64 maybe my list would have looked about the same.

MMXI

Arcane
The funny thing is that Baldur's Gate is the least embarrassing game on that list.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
tards in the comments asking for it be released on PSN :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom