Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows Q&A on CGM

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows; J.E. Sawyer; Midway Games

<a href=http://www.cgonline.com/content/view/603/2/>Computer Games Magazine</a> has a Question & Answer feature with the developer of Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, Josh E. Sawyer on his upcoming RPG remake of the classic Gauntlet game.
<br>
<blockquote>Computer Games - In addition to the basic gameplay, will Seven Sorrows have and winks and nods to previous games in the Gauntlet series?
<br>
<br>
Josh Sawyer - Definitely. The most obvious will be the inclusion of the “narrator voice”, which is a tradition going back to the very first Gauntlet. We don’t use food in to regain health in Seven Sorrows, but most of the old lines (and some new ones) will be in our action-oriented advance mode. The gameplay elements include things like generators, Death, super attacks (which we call “class skills”), and so on.
<br>
<br>
Computer Games - What can you tell us about the storyline for the game?
<br>
<br>
Josh Sawyer - The story starts about two centuries after four immortal heroes conspired to assassinate the all-conquering Emperor Yupanqui of the Urcointi Empire. The magical tree to which they were crucified mysteriously collapses, setting them free. They seek out the emperor only to find that he has used magic to prolong his life. Wracked with guilt over seven acts of cruelty, the emperor is attempting to merge himself with the energy of the world to bring back his murdered lover. The main problem with this is that it might tear the world apart. The heroes then set out to undo the sorrows of the emperor to stop him. Along the way, each of the heroes has to come to terms with their own past as they return home.</blockquote>
<br>
Check out the interview for full descriptions of the game's four original classes and the two new ones: the Lancer and the Tragedian.

taks

Liturgist
interesting... i didn't realize they were dubbing it "rpg-action." i figured purely action. i also originally had gotten the impression JE was getting away from rpg style games... guess not.

taks

taks

Liturgist
that's a tough call, exitium... like it or not, DW has been releasing games for 20 years. JE has only minor parts in a few released games, and one major role in a rather bland, and rushed, attempt at a AAA title (IWD2). most everything JE has worked on got canned before release. the only thing we really have to go on are the ideas he's posted in his short (relatively) career, particularly those for TBH and FO3 (both canned, btw). to his credit, he is very open and modest, and does have good ideas. i'd like to see his work in action before singing his praises, however.

taks

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I liked Icewind Dale more than W&W. Does that answer your question?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom