Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Atari; Baldur's Gate; beamdog

The countdown on baldursgate.com is over and here's the big reveal...

Atari Reveals Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition for Summer 2012

Gauww.png

Here's a cut from the press release:

Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur’s Gate developers. Relive the most epic story ever told.

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements. The greatest roleplaying game of all time, enhanced.​

So that's BG1 and BG2 being re-worked. With expansions, as clarified by Trent Oster on Twitter.

Update
I figured I'd deliver some more information from Trent's twitter feed.

Yes, Infinity Enhanced is based off the latest Throne of Bhall codebase.

We're very interested in supporting the modding community and hopefully kicking off even more mods.​

On when we'll get to see this "Infinity Enhanced":

We'll be rolling screens out in the future. Same place, Same time next week. Hopefully less server fires.​

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Website will probably be dead for the next hour or so... but there's this

Trent Oster@TrentOster
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We all know how good "enchanced editions with content from the original team" end up....right, Chrono Trigger DS? Fucking decline.

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm reading up and looking at videos of MKD2 compared to MKD2 HD. It looks like they went off of the original game and source, but updated the models and 2D graphics, made it widescreen etc. Unfortunately, they also changed up the difficulty of the game, from what I'm reading.

The only real good thing about this is that they're using the Infinity Engine and not making it a turdy flash game.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is a good idea...

I am conflicted on one side i fell like being angry and raging about nothing to get my kkk. On the other i am in awe of Atari doing something smart.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I really have no idea of how this will turn out. :decline: is most likely, but this week has been so full of :incline: from the Wasteland 2 Kickstart that maybe some of it will rub off on BG enhanced?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have a feeling that your characters won't die anymore, just fall unconscious and revive at full health after a fight, HP automatically regenerate and spells don't have to be memorized. Also the games will be (even more) linear now and every line of dialogue is voiced.

Morkar Left

Let's see and wait. Personally I doubt that it's worth the effort with all the enhanced content mods already provide. Not to mention the improvements will probably include no death of partymembers and the like. And I'm pretty sure it will have DRM on it anyway. Something I don't have to bother with the originals. But yeah, let them try, why not. There is a small chance it could be worthwhile. Vogel does it for years already.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I have a feeling that your characters won't die anymore, just fall unconscious and revive at full health after a fight, HP automatically regenerate and spells don't have to be memorized. Also the games will be (even more) linear now and every line of dialogue is voiced.

Highly unlikely. They probably have fucked it up somehow, but with limited resources available the damage has to be contained.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
... a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements.​

"Modern improvements"

Pretty sure that's an oxymoron when it comes to RPG design. My marketing bullshit siren is a-blazin'.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Don't know what they plan to "enhance" but if you can play the games without issues and lots of workarounds on modern OS's like Win7 and with modern graphic cards I'm happy.

TripJack

Hedonist
WILL THERE BE IRENICUS ROMANCE I HOPE SO
:dance::dance::dance:
COME ON DAVID WARNER STICK YOUR TONGUE UP MY BUM OH YEA

Eyeball

Arcane
The only real good thing about this is that they're using the Infinity Engine and not making it a turdy flash game.
I'd take the turdiest of turdy flash games over another Infinity Engine game. I have been incapable of replaying Baldur's Gate due to the sheer shittiness and faggotassery of this awful game engine for an otherwise pretty good role playing game series. Maybe an "overhaul" of the engine will make it more playable, but it will probably just add more SHIIIINE to the graphics to get todays kids to buy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom