Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #6: Campaign passes $1mil, 13 days to go

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Jordan Weisman; Shadowrun Returns

In the latest Kickstarter news, Jordan Weisman's and Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun Returns has gathered more than $1mil in donations already, and update #6, in which Jordan talks about what's next, has been put up:

Apart from more content, as a special "thank you," if $1.5M is reached, backers will receive an exclusive quest line tying the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games together. With 13 days to go, you can still support the project here!

Deleted member 7219

So what's the Codex view? I haven't played any of the previous games but judging from what I've seen on Wikipedia, and that video, Weisman didn't have any control over them. Not familiar with the original PnP game either.

Anyway, I've pledged $15 on the strength of his personality alone. Seems like a likeable guy and he said all the right things.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Anyway, I've pledged $15 on the strength of his personality alone. Seems like a likeable guy and he said all the right things.
Like Hitler?

My experience with the franchise comes purely from the Genesis game (physical copy) and playing the SNES one on an emulator. Those games were good enough for me to throw some money at this. The fact that they went "multiplayer? lol no" was a huge plus as well.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The backers' exclusive mission seems to generate a lot of drama on the kickstarter page. Many don't want the now traditional marketing ploy: "buy here and get this exclusive weapon". Can't say I blame them.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's not buying power, since you're actually paying less than retail value with a $15 pledge, albeit with a slight risk attached. The console games were both pretty good, so I think I'll go with the $30 tier. I'm not entirely on board yet, but I'm getting close.

The backers' exclusive mission seems to generate a lot of drama on the kickstarter page. Many don't want the now traditional marketing ploy: "buy here and get this exclusive weapon". Can't say I blame them.
That's why I didn't send them any money yet. Pay 15$ extra for exclusive ability, pay 30$ on top of that to get docwagon license. Same shit on higher tiers but tied to mission editor. Seriously?

jewboy

Arbiter
I never played the console games, but the setting seems interesting and it's going to be a turn based cRPG. So I'm intrigued. What worries me is the graphics. I don't want to back the game if they are going to be using cartoon/comic book false color rendering. The concept art looks a bit comic book-ish and has me worried. Especially if they are going for a Blade Runner vibe. On the kickstarter page I didn't notice any mention of the graphics at all. For a graphical game that is quite an omission. Has he mentioned his plans for that at all? Maybe in an interview? I can only assume it will be isometric and not direct top down or first person, but I really have no idea if he is going to go for a cartoonish look or not.

Gregz

Arcane
So what's the Codex view? I haven't played any of the previous games but judging from what I've seen on Wikipedia, and that video, Weisman didn't have any control over them. Not familiar with the original PnP game either.

Shadowrun is srs business.

I love the high fantasy setting, but it's been played to death. The console Shadowrun games were fun, but a deeper PnP based Shadowrun cRPG would be awesome. Wasteland and Shadowrun are very compelling non-high fantasy RPG settings with excellent pedigree. Wasteland is good to go; Shadowrun still needs help and is very worthy of funding.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
FASA was one of my favourite rpg studios. I loved both Shadowrun and Earthdawn. I always dreamed of a crpg version of the latter.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The thing is they've already gotten most of the money from generous people who want to support this and don't care about exclusive missions, and now they want to try and incentivize it for the fence sitters, the people who would otherwise wait till it's out, or the scumbags who need extras and day 1 dlc. It's not like making the exclusive mission itself will require $500,000, it goes to making the whole game better.
Anyway I'm in for $15 and may up it (ooh usb dogtags) if some preliminary design work is released and is pleasing.

It seems like a potentionally great game, but i'm still worried about the art style (i'm not a gfx whore though, but imagine a jrpg or facebook style?) and the depth of the game.

Sure combat is turn based, but so is a jrpg

It seems like a potentionally great game, but i'm still worried about the art style (i'm not a gfx whore though, but imagine a jrpg or facebook style?) and the depth of the game.

Well on their kickstarter page it explicitly says they won't use facebook style graphics.

Well on their kickstarter page it explicitly says they won't use facebook style graphics.

Got a link for that?

"A graphically rich 2D turn-based single player game" is the only thing i've read about the style so far.

I still want some concept art, and talk about the technical side of things before i make up my mind.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
FUCK YOUTURD! I cannot get one FUCKING MINUTE of this video to load!

Either way, thank you guys for funding, I am waiting for more info, but the world sounds intriguing, and I never played the originals, but was kind of wishing for another Shadowrun game just so I could see what it was about, true to the setting.

LordDenton

Augur

That, plus the fact that it's going to be tailored around iPads and other tablets. From what I've heard this could very well be as deep as a Facebook game. After all, many Facebook game ads mention "depth and immersion". I mean, even crap like Puzzle Quest might qualify as a "story driven RPG".

I know it's funded and a game will be created, but at this point I think there is good possibility that I will not be able to enjoy that that game.

After all, many Facebook game ads mention "depth and immersion". I mean, even crap like Puzzle Quest might qualify as a "story driven RPG".

Exactly. Right now most of what we got are buzz words which are relative, where as Fargo is talking about the game mechanics already.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Guys, Weisman said he wanted to do an X-Com like game, albeit with an RPG bend. I don't see how we could end up with a puzzle quest or a JRPG...

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Anyway I'm in for $15 and may up it (ooh usb dogtags) if some preliminary design work is released and is pleasing.

Did they say anywhere now many Megapulses worth of matrix paydata I can store on the dog tag?

Guys sorry, I can't find it anymore, but I could swear it said somewhere on the kickstarter page it will be a rich 2d graphic game not like facebook games. I'll also wait to find out more about the game before pledging and I don't like excessive ingame backer gameplay changes too. If people bitch about wasteland 2 changes that have nothing with gameplay, then what about this game, and we know even less about this project. We'll see. The guy seems likeable, but I will need more info.

Also, is there any way to see how much paypal donactions shadowrun got? I can't see it anywhere and I'm wondering why?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I also begin to think, they seem to not get it.

A lot of people are sitting on the fence for this, wanting to get over with this and pledge, but what they need to set their money in motion is not exclusive content, and also no videos of Jordan saying wow! for the 10th time, but 1-2 pages with facts.

What will the "mission" structure entail, compared to an RPG like e.g. Fallout?
Describe us how a game made for tablets is going to look on the PC?
Can you give a graphic example of the art style you have considered so far?

Plus the answers to the other questions, which we could already answer here by digging in personal mails and the wording of individual phrases.

I also begin to think, they seem to not get it.

A lot of people are sitting on the fence for this, wanting to get over with this and pledge, but what they need to set their money in motion is not exclusive content, and also no videos of Jordan saying wow! for the 10th time, but 1-2 pages with facts.

What will the "mission" structure entail, compared to an RPG like e.g. Fallout?
Describe us how a game made for tablets is going to look on the PC?
Can you give a graphic example of the art style you have considered so far?

Plus the answers to the other questions, which we could already answer here by digging in personal mails and the wording of single phrases.

I had hoped we'll have some Codex interview with relevant questions to answer us all that. Maybe we still will after Wasteland 2 kickstarter ends, so we can focus on (maybe) the next best thing on the kickstarter.

Wish the Codex would do an interview, adressing some of those issues a lot of us got.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom