Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #14: Campaign closes at $1.84mil, physical adepts now in

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun Returns

Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter campaign has just closed! Kickstarter and Paypal pledges combined, it looks like it has just reached around $1.9mil in funding, meaning Physical Adepts are now in. Overall, it has definitely turned out to be another "old school" video game success story after the DoubleFine and Wasteland 2 Kickstarters, thanks to Shadowrun's and Jordan Weisman's reputation no doubt.

Hopefully, with this kind of money, the Shadowrun Returns team will be able to bring us a full-fledged tactical Shadowrun RPG, which would've naturally been impossible had they only gotten the $400k they initially asked for.

Personally, I'm eagerly looking forward to future design updates!

EDIT. Another update is up, and there is now a dedicated Shadowrun Returns website and forum:

Update #14: "We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we Wang?"

Including PayPal, our final total is $1,895,772!!!

A-freaking-mazing! Wowsers! Bibbidy-bobbidy-boo!

We are so happy to be associated with such a wonderful community.

Backers, we'll hold our Second City Survey soon and contact you for your Swag info!

For now, we're heading over to Shadowrun.com and our new forums!

See you on the other side!

Love,
HBS​

Alright, I'm off to http://www.shadowrun.com!

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I am not as confident about this one as I am about DFA and Wasteland 2 but I eventually caved in and gave 30 kwa jewgold.Damn you kickstarter

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
They should hire that guy RC, he probably made like a third of the comments there.
Also:
RC about 5 hours ago
I used to be a Dragon like you, but then I got bit in the knee by a kitten.
That's what i said (jokingly) on the last update news
Well now he is a moderator on the Shadowrun forum. Yippie fucking yay :decline:

Man, if they fuck this up, they are dead to me. That RC guy was annoying, I don't get it why they made him a moderator. Especial with Skyturd memes. :(
Probably because they are going to decline RPG genre silly. But hopefully not. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Well according to their own FAQ, they shouldn't decline the rpg genre:

What is Shadowrun Returns?

Shadowrun Returns is a new Shadowrun project from Jordan Weisman, the creator of Shadowrun. A rich 2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat, Shadowrun Returns is not only going to make some old geeks (like us) very happy but it will introduce new players to a dynamic gaming universe that is beloved around the world.
But the greatness doesn’t end there: Jordan and Cliffhanger have agreed to collaborate on creating cross overs from both games, so you will get the best possible Shadowrun experience all of us can deliver.

It would be pretty ironic, if I gave my money to the decline, instead of fighting against it... But considering how many retards are on the W2 forums, and that game was actually intended for lovers of good old crpg from some better times, I wouldn't be surprised if there are even more on Shadowrun forums, and they shift the game to a turd. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. At least now, with kickstarter, there is some hope, just a few months back, I was sure I'll never play a proper crpg again.

It's a bit lame that they couldn't answer our interview, or at least say something, maybe we're not their "target audience".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I really can't see anything "full-fledged" about a RPG made in fewer than nine months regardless of how much budget they have, though I'm hoping for the Shadowrun equivalent of Knights of the Chalice, something entertaining despite its bad setting, system, and narrow scope. If it turns out bad then I just paid quite a lot for a flash drive, a shirt I'll never ever wear, and bad fiction I'll probably enjoy ripping apart.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
that lady in the pink shirt :oops:

ps: At least it's turn based, and I hope that the Shadowrun pnp fans don't have the same herp derp stats are outdated mechanics in rpgs mindset

probably going to get quite a few of the older console players who think just that though

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I didn't back it, but I'll check it out some time after release. Considering everyone here devoured Skyrim, how bad can it be? If it's a refined RPG-like JA:BiA, it should be incline enough.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Given that a lot of the backers are probably TRU BROs from the Dumpshock forums they'll hopefully keep HBS on a tight leash.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh forgot about it...Was going to enter at the lowest tier just to be in it but fuck it. I'll have to wait and see. At least it means that now I can offer more to my Eisenwald bros, those impoverished oppressed Belarussian larpers need all the help they can get!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
new update here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/217943?ref=activity

the tl/dr version:

There is now a http://www.shadowrun.com/ for everything Shadowrun (including this project)

The Backer’s Survey to determine which city becomes our second location should go out sometime next week. We’ve been listening and a few cities are rising to the top but you still have time to discuss your favorites and why. Don’t worry about lobbying us—talk amongst yourselves! Your (thoughtful, respectful) debates are the best way for us to learn from you.

I'd still like to see either Denver or London.

new update here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/217943?ref=activity

the tl/dr version:

There is now a http://www.shadowrun.com/ for everything Shadowrun (including this project)

The Backer’s Survey to determine which city becomes our second location should go out sometime next week. We’ve been listening and a few cities are rising to the top but you still have time to discuss your favorites and why. Don’t worry about lobbying us—talk amongst yourselves! Your (thoughtful, respectful) debates are the best way for us to learn from you.

Since I'm not well versed in shadowrun lore, can you tell me why not some european city? Do they suck in shadowrun lore? Or Tokyo?

kazgar

Arcane
In a way you want something as far removed as Seattle (game and stylewise) as possible, but doing that would probably cause the creation of a whole lot more art assets which screw with the projects timeline. Though more art assets/stuff would be awesome when the mission builder kicks in.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jaesun said:

Since I'm not well versed in shadowrun lore, can you tell me why not some european city? Do they suck in shadowrun lore? Or Tokyo?

I really really need to go get my damn book out of storage. :/ But this is what I vaguely remember:

Denver: The Native Americans Indians held this city/state.

London: Something about super elven Eco Terrorists.

My brian is a little rusty on remembering this stuff...

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I hope not. If they did Berlin they would certainly do it all wrong. The way I understand it Shadowrun is a game about underground culture and in Berlin that should be about Turks, Yugos, Kiffer, Punker, Hartzer, many other sorts of things that no one at HBS will have ever heard of.

Or does, for example, anyone know what the "Kottie" is?

Morkar Left

The lore for Berlin is already written for the p&p rpg. I haven't really sneaked into it but basically they are pulling a "Mauer" - analogy with corporates on one side of the wall and anarchists on the other side.

For Shadowrun lore I recommend the 6th World Almanach and the p&p core rules of course (20th anniversary edition for 4th edition, but it's the year 2070+) The computergame will take place around 2050 - important if you are interested in the matrix because at 2063 (?) the matrix gets wireless.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I was there just yesterday :smug:

But do you really think they'll do any other city that they don't live in "right"?

I don't really know any of the SR lore. I'd simply go for the city with the most interesting setup.
Denver, London, Berlin all sounded fine to me.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I was there just yesterday :smug:

But do you really think they'll do any other city that they don't live in "right"?

I don't really know any of the SR lore. I'd simply go for the city with the most interesting setup.
Denver, London, Berlin all sounded fine to me.

Yes but if they do a city wrong, it should be one I don't know. Logical isn't it? Alter, ey.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Update, backers can now vote! Still wondering which one to vote for hmmm....

Update #16: Survey Away!

As promised, we sent our Second City Survey via email to our Kickstarter and PayPal backers today. We thought everyone would like to see which cities appeared on the list!

(Note that this list is in alphabetical order.)

Berlin
Berlin has seen many wars in its history and the Awakened World did not spare it. The EuroWars left it crushed yet again, but like a phoenix it continues to rise from the ashes. While the more modern western half turned to the corps, the more volatile eastern residents voted with their Molotov cocktails that anarchy was the way to go. The result is that Berlin is a dynamic dichotomy; home to many of Europe’s top corps, including the great dragon Lofwyr’s Seader-Krupp and Daimler-Benz, and home to Europe’s biggest collection of fixers, data thieves and gangs. Every runner considers it a badge of honor to run the streets of Berlin.

Chicago
In the early 2050s, Chicago was your typical massive American sprawl. At least it was until anarchists blew up the Sears Tower. The falling debris destroyed blocks’ worth of buildings crushing thousands of people. No one has rebuilt any of it in the years since; the ghosts of the dead are said to haunt the area, and the increasing presence of ghouls there earned it the name “Shattergraves.” The rest of the Loop was likewise left to rot, and eventually become fully controlled by the Mafia. And don’t even get us started on the bugs, more and more of these magical entities that see humanity as a good place to lay their eggs seem to appear there.

Denver
The Treaty of Denver balkanized this city and now 6 countries control of parts of this sprawl. In an arrangement that made almost nobody happy, the new “owners” decided to wall off their sections from each other. That turned Denver into a smuggler’s paradise and a shadowrunner’s secret love…so many borders, so much valuable goods to sneak across them ... who could ask for anything more? And if that wasn’t enough to get a runner’s blood going, Denver is home to the Nexus. Known as the Denver Data Haven, it is the North American hub of information, and data exchange. And remember children, knowledge is power.

Hong Kong
Hong Kong finds itself now as an independent city/state in 2050. Both ancient and modern Hong Kong seems to be at peace on the same island. It’s corporate sponsored City Center rivals any in the world for splendor and corporate intrigue. All the megcorps are there as well as all smaller ones that love to think they can play with the big boys (and maybe even steal a secret or two). Yet, just outside the city center you will find ancient temples and shrines. Each one situated on the many dragon lines that cross the island. Dragon lines are mysterious and powerful paths of magic that the monks claim hold the secrets of the great dragons themselves. Protecting the monks and running the underworld are the mysterious syndicate called the Triads – gangs that control their island, protect their secret masters and really really hate the Yakuza.

London
Buckingham Palace, the West End, the Tube, the Castles, Big Ben…it all screams welcome to London, but in 2050 London is not the sparkling jewel it once was. Sure you get those sunny days that allow you to walk the cobblestones of history. But now, the fog and rain are toxic, forcing the creation of the West End Underplex - a thriving city that tries to keep the mood and feel of London artificially alive underneath the acid washed old city. London is a nightmare which contains the bright palaces and friendly pubs as well as the ghetto of lost humanity called “the squeeze” but all of it is under the very heavy thumb of the city's Lord Protector.

More Seattle
Seattle is the home city of the Shadowrun Universe and where the game will be initially set. One option for the game’s “second city” is to add MORE depth to Seattle. Specifically we could add the following: a bigger chunk of the Renraku Arcology (remember it is home to 100,000 employees), a larger version of the Ork Underground, it’s an entire world beneath the streets of the Seattle metroplex, and Council Island where we can show the Native American Tribes flexing their newfound magical and military muscles.

The survey will be open through Tuesday, May 15th 11:59pm PST and we'll announce the results later next week.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom