Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Why Boston Doesn't Belong in Fallout 4 @ California Literary Review

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Fallout; Fallout 3; Fallout 4

California Literary Review has put up the first part of their video game blog post on the Fallout setting, how it is "a tale of the frontier," and why Boston, rumored to be the setting for Fallout 4, is the wrong kind of place for this essentially "Western" game series to go to. Have a taste:

Sure, on the surface Fallout seems like sci-fi and is thus defined by its unique technology. Technology derived from the McCarthy-era fifties, a time of atomic science that barely understood the effects of radiation. Of computer science that couldn’t fathom miniaturization. Of the unchecked optimism of The Jetsons dashed against the Cold War thermonuclear horror of The Day After and Them!

If taken at face value, the physical setting of any particular game wouldn’t seem to matter so much as the retro robots, archaically advanced laser pistols, or giant fire-breathing mutant ants. You could theoretically put a Fallout game in England, Tokyo, or Brazil if that’s all that mattered. I’ve heard such arguments before.

[...] All the hallmarks of the Western are there. Thirstily wandering along at a calculated pace in the waste, sleeping under the stars in the wilderness, taking the role of the unknown gunman who wanders into town to solves everyone’s problems with a hail of gunfire before drifting out like a tumbleweed, the reintroduction of tribal culture set apart from homesteaders on the fringes of societies where law is thin and it’s best to travel with a gun on your belt even if you’d prefer never to use it. Arguably (and that’s exactly what I’m doing) this gameplay is as important, if not more important than the tools used or enemies fought.

More than most games, Fallout captures the nature of rugged individualism idolized in the Westerns of old. It’s a tale of the frontier. Only it’s a new frontier built atop a forgotten history.

American history.

Not only is every Fallout set in the U.S., but 3 of the 5 officially recognized Fallout games (no one cares about BoS [Brotherhood of Steel], as it was a PoS) take place in familiar Western settings. The first was set in Southern California, with some bleed through into Mexico and Arizona. The second, as my travels reminded me, in the Northern California region bleeding through to Southern Oregon and Western Nevada. New Vegas, well that one should be obvious.

The two that weren’t, Fallout 3 and Tactics, are also the two most controversial amongst hardcore Fallout fans, and I think it’s because (aside from the fact that they marked major gameplay departures) they lacked a bit of this Western magic.

Because the wild west isn’t just about big open spaces and lawlessness. You can do that anywhere thanks to the atomic fire provided by Fallout‘s backstory. No, it’s also about the culture of unique spirituality and quirky insanity that thrives in the Southwest of the U.S. like nowhere else.​

Click here to read it in full.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Not only is every Fallout set in the U.S., but 3 of the 5 officially recognized Fallout games (no one cares about BoS [Brotherhood of Steel], as it was a PoS)

:balance:disagrees.

sigma1932

Augur
Provided it doesn't conflict with Shadowrun all that much (I doubt it would, but still), Seattle would make more sense than any place on the east coast, deep south, or midwest... establish another major base of operations on the way to re-exploring Alaska before crossing over to asia.

Also, I'm pretty sure Tactics is as much an unwanted red-headed stepchild of the series as FO3, and the Fallout Universe is really mostly about FO1, 2, and NV. I agree though, Toad Howard and Pete Swines don't really give a fuck about any of that... they'll just dump the next game in whatever location is "kewl".

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The two that weren’t, Fallout 3 and Tactics, are also the two most controversial amongst hardcore Fallout fans, and I think it’s because (aside from the fact that they marked major gameplay departures) they lacked a bit of this Western magic.
I think inane writing is the main reason why 'hardcore Fallout fans' find F3 'controversial'. Gameplay aspects such as level scaling did not help either.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Fallout games usually take place in areas that are familiar to the people making them. Bethesda trying to set it in a place where none of them have ever been will likely wind up more disastrous than usual.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The two genres most dominant in Fallout – Post-Apocalypse and Western – are rather the same thing in a lot of ways. The frontier life is almost indistinguishable from living in a shattered civilization, apart from the technology available. Fallout is simply a Western epic but with lasers, and a well made one at that (unlike certain Favreau helmed projects).

But while the Frontier Westerns are about the freedom of new lands and the promise of a new life found within wild borders, post-apocalyptic tales most often dwell in the anarchy of old lands and the slow death of the last among them. Fallout, in attempting to be the post-apocalypse with a sense of humor, had to find a way to coexist between these two extremes. It’s through the Southwestern setting, and all that came with it, that I feel Fallout found its true identity, it’s true balance.

The heart of the desert, a place centered on the nothingness of empty space and the total freedom the player has to choose in this void. There is no major history to decay, for the place is timeless; there is no culture to lose, for the people are ongoing.

:salute:

Hollywood

Educated
I still had more fun with Tactics than with Fallout 3 or even New Vegas...

I had fun but not in contrast to the rest of the Fallout series. Tactics was going for a style and form of of gameplay closer in nature to its namesake. The game had the potential to far better than it was and you see it in some of the design decisions, such as large but still focused levels rather than open-world exploration, multiple ways of entry (something which was, admittedly, lacking in the Black Isle era Fallouts), the ability to use vehicles and effectively so in the larger levels as well as a real-time combat system which provided some dynamicism to the oft-stale combat of previous Fallout combat (aimed shot, critical, kill, aimed shot, miss, hit, reload).

The idea to retain the majority of the SPECIAL system was a bad idea and uselessness of certain skills such Energy Weapons until horribly late into the game detracted severely from the tactical nature of the gameplay design. The inability to choose a starting faction (such as a choice between an up-and-coming Raider clan, a fledgeling tribe, settlers or even a Super Mutant remnant army) also strayed deeply from the Fallout doctrine of player choice. New Vegas was the first game to offer the player the serious choice of joining and allying with any number of factions rather than just gaining favour with the noteable individuals within each. The realisation of that concept felt wasted up until New Vegas -- something that could have been with Tactics.

Oddly, it's rare to see someone else who enjoyed the game, even with its flaws. What's your take on Tactics, feli?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

Oddly, it's rare to see someone else who enjoyed the game, even with its flaws. What's your take on Tactics, feli?
I love Tactical games, so taking Fallout into that genre was great for me. And they nailed the "Fallout feel" very well, the levels felt like a natural evolution from stuff like raiding the Sierra Army Base in F2, and this time with a full player controlled squad.

Surelly it failed in some points, but the ambition was there; like how the multiplayer allows you to make your character any race, like Super Mutant, Deathclaw, Robots or even a Dog. What bothers most people is how the dialog, choices and non-combat approachs are almost non-existant on a game with 'Fallout' on its name, but I always saw it as a spin-off, more of "Fallout meets X-COM" than "Fallout without choice". And I had tons of fun with it, especially trying to solo.

If Black Isle had made the real Fallout 3 or Van Buren after Tactics, they could have each continued their way nicelly, but since Tactics was "the last Fallout game" for almost a decade, it's shortcomings as a "true Fallout game" become much more apparent. The spin-off "became the sequel", for there was no sequel.

That said, the whole concept of fighting "against nature" and giant mutant lizards in Tactics 2 sounded pretty retarded, perhaps is for the best it weas canned...

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That is a shockingly insightful post. I have nothing against Boston as a setting, per se, but Fallout belongs in the west.

Hollywood

Educated

I love Tactical games, so taking Fallout into that genre was great for me. And they nailed the "Fallout feel" very well, the levels felt like a natural evolution from stuff like raiding the Sierra Army Base in F2, and this time with a full player controlled squad.

Surelly it failed in some points, but the ambition was there; like how the multiplayer allows you to make your character any race, like Super Mutant, Deathclaw, Robots or even a Dog. What bothers most people is how the dialog, choices and non-combat approachs are almost non-existant on a game with 'Fallout' on its name, but I always saw it as a spin-off, more of "Fallout meets X-COM" than "Fallout without choice". And I had tons of fun with it, especially trying to solo.

If Black Isle had made the real Fallout 3 or Van Buren after Tactics, they could have each continued their way nicelly, but since Tactics was "the last Fallout game" for almost a decade, it's shortcomings as a "true Fallout game" become much more apparent. The spin-off "became the sequel", for there was no sequel.

I agree.

That said, the whole concept of fighting "against nature" and giant mutant lizards in Tactics 2 sounded pretty retarded, perhaps is for the best it weas canned...

Wait, what?

DraQ

Arcane
I love Tactical games, so taking Fallout into that genre was great for me. And they nailed the "Fallout feel" very well
The problem is that they didn't. Was Tactics simply a tactical game set in FO universe, with FO items, lore, factions, and quirks, it would have been ok even without much C&C or dialogue. The problem was that it wasn't. It took nearly every element and replaced it with superficially similar, but hollow counterpart. Instead of quirky, comic-y Fallout firearms and other weapons it had boring RL stuff. Instead of BoS it had some bland WW-2/Sci Fi/Rome mashup. Instead of retro, but rather functional PAs it had Instead of cohesive campaign it had rotation of monsters of the week - raiders, beastmasters, super mutants, robots. Finally it didn't really have the usual PA grit, because combination of mission driven gameplay and single responsibility completely trustworthy chain of command isolated the player from pretty much any darker undertones the game might have - you were just popping impersonal moles as ordered, amusingly for a military-like tactical game, player was never involved in any actual conflict in FoT.

So it's not that it didn't play like Fallout, because it actually played quite well.
It's just that it didn't feel like Fallout.
Not one iota.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I was talking on the gameplay aspect, that's why I mentioned Sierra Army Base. Raiding it was fun, but I always got pissed at my companions being so retarded I had to leave them behind, but Tactics solved that and gave me more similar battles.

lol Bethesda's Fallout.

No matter what the location it will still be shit.

That's really ignoring a lot of Bethesda's work in Fallout 3. While the environment may have been shit, it was also covered in a piss filter. I expect Fallout 4 to encompass the full range of excretory functions.

Luzur

Good Sir
Boston? only cities i remember reading about semi-surviving the war was Seattle, Las Vegas, Denver, Pittsburgh, Reno and Ogden (New Kaanan), the rest should have been just craters, crackling radiation and melted metal, but ive never seen so much intact (and locked/boarded up strangely enough) nuclear ruins as in Bethesdas Fallout series.

Phelot

Arcane
Oh LOL! Boston? "GET IN DA CAH YE QWEAR!"

No doubt they'll simply have to make it a desert even though it makes absolutely no sense since, as we all know, deserts are what make Fallout Fallout :lol:

It'd be nice if they would try something different this round since they got the whole "We need to make this as much like FO as possible so lets overdo it on the 50's theme"

Maybe try another country and for fucks sake don't add mutants and ghouls and other shit that doesn't make sense. My bet is on the Enclave still being around and it's been what like 500 years since the war and yet still we'll play as some asshole coming out of the vault?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I sincerely hope that Bethesda continues to keep their Failouts as far away from the original setting as possible.
That makes it easier to forget that there ever were any Fallout games outside of 1, 2 and NV.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Will mutant Curt Schilling be in it? Boston is a pretty generic choice. I like the city. Lived there for two years but seems like there would be much better choices for interesting locales like New Orleans or Miami or whatever.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Why set it in Boston? Boston is boring. They should instead set it in Waterville, Maine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom