Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Chaos Chronicles Dev Blog Update

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Chaos Chronicles; Coreplay

The developers at CorePlay continue to update their Chaos Chronicles blog. Have a look:

There used to be a time when pretty much every role-playing and strategy game out there was turn-based. That was partially due to technological restrictions but also due to the fact that these games were derived from pen & paper rpgs and board games which are both usually ‘turn-based’.

In the early nineties, Dune created the RTS genre (at least on the PC, because Herzog Zwei was Sega exklusive) or, as some would say, changed strategy games to be real-time instead of turn-based. At the same time games like Ultima Underworld did the same for the RPG genre. In both genres the change usually implied the change from boards to analogous movement. And interestingly, in the RPG genre, it also implied a change from character parties towards single character games.

Yes, Dungeon Master and its imitators, i.e. ‘the subgenre of dungeon crawlers’ (revived by the great Grimrock) had a little headstart compared to the rest of the RPG genre and, yes, real-time-with-pause-RPGs revived character parties, but that didn’t change what happened next: With real time combat being new and exciting and turn-based being (or being said to be) old and boring developers ceased to make turn-based games. Not because all devs were morons but rather simply because no one – including gamers – was interested in turn-based games any more at that time. But even if we (and hopefully you RPG vets out there) are eager to see turn-based combat revived, we have also gotten used to the amenities of real-time, regarding, e.g., the exploration of the game world. For us that meant that we would have to feature both real-time and grid movement.

CC_grid_2.jpg

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Waidaminute, you left out the most important/controversial part

As far as gameplay is concerned, there are still some open questions. E.g. a player moving his party around in exploration mode has little control over the dynamic movement of the party following him. However when a combat starts the characters’ positions suddenly become relevant as characters are simply placed on the closest board field. The resulting lack of influence you have in your party’s initial positioning is cool for surprise combats but might be annoying for a combat you already expect. We considered manual placing of the chars but found it too immersion-breaking. Depending on our polishing prioritization we might leave this as it is, but as always we appreciate your opinion or suggestions.

1. What does exploration mode mean? Is it the realtime movement on a map or the Worldmap view?
2. Assuming the former: does the above imply that you can't move characters individually? If so that sucks, I urge you to reconsider. (e.g. what are the implications for sneaking?)
3. Either way, please allow the player to define a formation.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Waidaminute, you left out the most important/controversial part

As far as gameplay is concerned, there are still some open questions. E.g. a player moving his party around in exploration mode has little control over the dynamic movement of the party following him. However when a combat starts the characters’ positions suddenly become relevant as characters are simply placed on the closest board field. The resulting lack of influence you have in your party’s initial positioning is cool for surprise combats but might be annoying for a combat you already expect. We considered manual placing of the chars but found it too immersion-breaking. Depending on our polishing prioritization we might leave this as it is, but as always we appreciate your opinion or suggestions.

1. What does exploration mode mean? Is it the realtime movement on a map or the Worldmap view?
2. Assuming the former: does the above imply that you can't move characters individually? If so that sucks, I urge you to reconsider. (e.g. what are the implications for sneaking?)
3. Either way, please allow the player to define a formation.

They were referring to the real-time movement within the maps.

If you remember Dragon Age, it tended to fuck up the party members positions each time you saw a cut-scene. This is the same issue. The options are:
1) The party members will teleport each time a fight will start. Auto-arrange option is the most retarded option (breaks experience continuity and any pre-fight strategy).
2) Manually place party members each time a fight will start. This is less retarded, but more annoying (also more exploitable).
3) Leave the party member on the same position as before the fight. The right option.

Dorateen

Arcane
It also sounds like the party will be moving as group, during exploration. Not ideal, but maybe there is time for that to be corrected.

I kind of like the idea of placing party members pre-fight, if the implication is that combat takes place on a separte battle map. Reminds me of HoMM. Very tactical.

Dorateen

Arcane
I would not say it is problem. However, I prefer to have characters able to disengage from the rest of the party and scout ahead, set up ambushes, explore different parts of a dungeon, etc.

Like the IE games, or even ToEE.

Severian Silk

I don't think your party will be moving "together" like in KotC or Anachronox. I think it will be standard movement, i.e. where only the characters you've selected will move per each movement order.

Shannow

Waster of Time
So Pong and Space Invaders were turn based because of technological limitations? You never stop learning...

Anyway, I'd make it toggable. 3 Options:
1. Get to place characters for "expected" combat situations and when you get the enemy flat-footed. Characters are set as is when you are surprized or flat-footed.
2. Always place characters (with restrictions when flat-footed/surprized).
2. Characters are always set.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom