Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Vote on how Chris Avellone will LP Arcanum!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura; Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

One of Project Eternity's fundraising stretch goals was the promise that, if the fundraiser hit 4 million dollars, Chris Avellone would finally sit down and play Arcanum. Specifically, the copy of Arcanum that we on the Codex so generously bought for him on GOG! That target was reached, but since then we hadn't heard anything more about this important issue. Until today, when Adam Brennecke posted this on the Obsidian forums:

Chris Avellone is playing Arcanum to raise funds for the $4.0 million dollar stretch goal you helped us reach for Project Eternity. It's installed and he’s ready to start playing – we here at Obsidian wanted to know how you’d like it played!
  • Let's Play Document/Blog
  • 10 minute Let's Play Youtube video bites
  • Streamed on Twitch
  • Format doesn’t matter to me, just enjoy it.
The poll will close on Wednesday (1/23/13) at 6:00PM Pacific Time. Thanks for you feedback!
You heard the man - go forth and vote! Remember, if you don't vote, you're voting for the popamole.

Tags: Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura; Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

One of Project Eternity's fundraising stretch goals was the promise that, if the fundraiser hit 4 million dollars, Chris Avellone would finally sit down and play Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Specifically, the copy of Arcanum that we on the Codex so generously bought for him on GOG! That target was reached, but since then we hadn't heard anything more about this important issue. Until today, when Adam Brennecke posted this on the Obsidian forums:

Chris Avellone is playing Arcanum to raise funds for the $4.0 million dollar stretch goal you helped us reach for Project Eternity. It's installed and he’s ready to start playing – we here at Obsidian wanted to know how you’d like it played!​
  • Let's Play Document/Blog
  • 10 minute Let's Play Youtube video bites
  • Streamed on Twitch
  • Format doesn’t matter to me, just enjoy it.
The poll will close on Wednesday (1/23/13) at 6:00PM Pacific Time. Thanks for you feedback!

You heard the man - go forth and vote! Remember, if you don't vote, you're voting for the popamole.

I just want him to enjoy it, and get good ideas from it, since it's his first time.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
We need :rubbing hands in anticipation: emote.

Oh wait, I can rub this. :bounce:

I want to hear his majestic voice and be able to see that shit on the phone, so I vote for YouTube LP.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Voted for the jewtubes; that way he can comment and talk about ideas he likes for PE.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
More low-hanging fruit news, especially since the youtube option has been the most popular by far. M:

The people who want a document are such bores. That would take up so much more of his time and he'd probably abandon it after a couple of updates or get very sparse with the details. The livestream would be boring in another direction; watching another person play something like Arcanum for hours? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Twitch stream is the best option...you can watch and communicate with him in real time, plus twitch can record videos so it's the best of both worlds. Fucking obsidrones.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
Twitch stream is the best option...you can watch and communicate with him in real time, plus twitch can record videos so it's the best of both worlds. Fucking obsidrones.

Absolutely Not!
I want him to play it without any external influences.

Do you think he should play it with Drog's patch?

Murk

Arcane
Ideally, he'd just play it to enjoy it. If there's constant eyes on him it might detract from the enjoyment and the additional hassle of streaming/recording/commentating might not be that fun.

Now, if he decides he ENJOYS doing a proper LP then more power to the guy.

Erebus

Arcane
I'd like him to play with Harm right from the beginning.

Because, let's face it, Arcanum is much less of a pain in the ass when you have the spells that make combat easy.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
you can watch and communicate with him in real time

...together with hundreds of the world's most retarded people spamming inane shit.
Yeah, now that I think of it...

But he better do it unedited.

I'd like him to play with Harm right from the beginning.

Because, let's face it, Arcanum is much less of a pain in the ass when you have the spells that make combat easy.
Why would you want it to be less of a pain? :M

gromit

Arcane
I can't believe video is winning. Well, yes, yes I can; but still!

Who really wants to sit and watch a video of a text-heavy game, punctuated by Arcanum's trademark "nothing special" combat? Sounds like a recipe for him trying too hard to entertain us, and not himself. Conversely, the C&C and interweaving narratives are perfectly suited for after-action reports.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I can't believe video is winning. Well, yes, yes I can; but still!

Who really wants to sit and watch a video of a text-heavy game, punctuated by Arcanum's trademark "nothing special" combat? Sounds like a recipe for him trying too hard to entertain us, and not himself. Conversely, the C&C and interweaving narratives are perfectly suited for after-action reports.
We want to see his face as he suffers through Arcanum's overall mediocrity.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Since he is going to make an LP... Obviously a written LP. The man is a writer for fuck's sake, let him write his fabulous walls of text !

:rpgcodex:

Video LPs are next-gen popamole, and streaming of course is the shittiest idea as MCA isn't going to enjoy the game.

gromit

Arcane
We want to see his face as he suffers through Arcanum's overall mediocrity.
Strongly doubt it. If nothing else, it's an incredibly "academically" interesting -- unlike most mediocre games, it actually has enough going on / going for it, that even its failures are thought-provoking. You want to figure it out and fix it, rather than chuck the whole thing in the rubbish -- as you would "Bulletpoint Action-Adventure" or "FPS Not Noticeably Different From the Last Umpteen #384739."

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Having to log onto the Obsidian forums to vote on something RPGCodex put forth? The poll should be here. It's an insult really.

Esquilax

Arcane
Since he is going to make an LP... Obviously a written LP. The man is a writer for fuck's sake, let him write his fabulous walls of text !

Video LPs are next-gen popamole, and streaming of course is the shittiest idea as MCA isn't going to enjoy the game.

Indeed, I demand a completely LARPy Let's Play with screenshots. Oh, and he has to play as a brilliant Half-Ogre gentleman/gunslinger with the Miracle Operation trait. That would rock.

We need :rubbing hands in anticipation: emote.

Oh wait, I can rub this. :bounce:

I want to hear his majestic voice and be able to see that shit on the phone, so I vote for YouTube LP.

ibsLyZnVT4OtSp.gif

Deleted member 7219

No videos, no extra work on Chris's part - I want him to play Arcanum for fun, blog on it, and then go back to making great games.

Cassidy

Arcane

Besides, that would give the opportunity for someone to ask Avellone's permission to repost it in the Codex Playground.

I hope he'll be as entertained doing it as I was doing a LP of Alpha Protocol.

:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom