Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Wizards of the Coast say the Planescape setting is available for licensing

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Obsidian Entertainment; Planescape; Project Eternity; Torment: Tides of Numenera; Wizards of the Coast

Eurogamer's Robert Purchese has done some research on the matter of the Planescape license. He reports:

For months I believed Wizards of the Coast had, for whatever reason, declined use of the Planescape Dungeons & Dragons licence for another video game.​

Colin McComb, key member of the Planescape: Torment team, reached out to Wizards of the Coast about reviving Planescape: Torment game. But it "yielded no fruit", he told me.​

Brian Fargo, inXile boss, was "rebuffed" by Wizards of the Coast when he asked the same sort of thing.​

With Planescape apparently off the table, Fargo contented himself with the Torment IP and hired Colin McComb to make a Torment-like successor but built on a different, new, role-playing system called Numenera. The game's called Torment: Tides of Numenera.​

Planescape being off the table may have also affected Obsidian's decision to Kickstart a new IP in Project Eternity rather than pursue something Planescape.​

It turns out, however, Wizards of the Coast wasn't against the idea of licensing Planescape at all - or so it told me.​

"We would absolutely consider licensing out Planescape, or any of our other great D&D IPs, if we were approached with a proposal," Wizards of the Coast told us through its presumably bushy beard.​

"We often get proposals and are actively pursuing opportunities to make great digital D&D experiences.​

"Brian [Fargo] suggested Baldur's Gate 3 had proven difficult in the past before we regained our digital rights, so, that probably didn't help the situation."​

Of course, it's too late now for this to change anything, since both inXile and Obsidian are committed to other settings. Furthermore, as the article shows, neither of them really wanted to license a D&D setting anyway.

So, will somebody else step up and license the Planescape setting? In before Overhaul Games' Planescape: Trentment.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Time to make dreams come true:

in7tzn.jpg

161gojo.jpg

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
shit guys
instead of raising money because DarkUnderlord needs coke and hookers, or to buy stupid memorabilia, let's raise some REAL money to get the sequel to Project Eternity to be in Sigil. I'd fucking spend 200 bucks for that game (if the first PE is good, of course)

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
HEY MAYBE THE NEW BLACK ISLE STUDIOS COULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT HUH GUYS? HUH?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The main problem I see with this is, even if InXile were to license Planescape from WotC, the latter would probably still have creative control over the game, which would suck like it always does.

Angthoron

Arcane
Planescape: Origins, the story of Lady of Pain, by BioWare.

Can't wait to be covered in blood and grabbing collars for renegade points.
A tragic tale of a homosexual female in a harsh patriarchal world of male (and subservient heterosexual female) gods.
How can a bunch of weasels be homosexual?
Why does a troglodyte wear a hat? This, and many other questions will be revealed in the epic tale of the Lady.

Young Lady of Pain will be voiced by Felicia Day, older Lady of Pain by Jennifer Hale.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Overhaul did do a port for Interplay, with MDK2. So why not merge Overhaul into BIS, combine the genius of Trent Oster and whoever is still at Interplay now, and make a direct PS:T sequel, since all the IP things (characters and locations) are Hasbro's too. Call it Planescape: Anguish, the continued travails of TNO. Nothing's stopping them.

The main problem I see with this is, even if InXile were to license Planescape from WotC, the latter would probably still have creative control over the game, which would suck like it always does.
Yeah. Licensing big products for Kickstarter projects never made much sense to me as an idea. The license kills the freedom Kickstarter implies.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Overhaul did do a port for Interplay, with MDK2. So why not merge Overhaul into BIS, combine the genius of Trent Oster and whoever is still at Interplay now, and make a direct PS:T sequel, since all the IP things (characters and locations) are Hasbro's too. Call it Planescape: Anguish, the continued travails of TNO. Nothing's stopping them.

come on, man, i was just joking, don't scare me like that, that's not funny.

Indranys

Savant

A tragic tale of a homosexual female in a harsh patriarchal world of male (and subservient heterosexual female) gods.
Why does a troglodyte wear a hat? This, and many other questions will be revealed in the epic tale of the Lady.

Young Lady of Pain will be voiced by Felicia Day, older Lady of Pain by Jennifer Hale.

And she will be day one DLC.
"Lady of Pain as additional companion, purchase The Blade Romancer DLC now! Feel love like never before! Only in Origin"

Angthoron

Arcane

"Lady of Pain as additional companion, purchase The Blade Romancer DLC now! Feel love like never before! Only in Origin"
Ah, not quite. She will be day-1 DLC, but she's not an additional companion. She's the protagonist. BioWare's fresh new foray into innovation of the genre! Play without the protagonist if you wish, or buy the optional content for $19.99!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Ah, not quite. She will be day-1 DLC, but she's not an additional companion. She's the protagonist. BioWare's fresh new foray into innovation of the genre! Play without the protagonist if you wish, or buy the optional content for $19.99!
Buy? Rent, for 19.99/week.

Also: Hello, St. Toxic

Angthoron

Arcane

Buy? Rent, for 19.99/week.

An F2P episodic adventure with premium sub-based content?! I think we're on to some proper next-gen industry gold here, comrade.

getter77

Augur
Shame that the rights management nonsense is such a convoluted mess when trying to get things from the P&P space and such happening otherwise---though at least Planescape is in less of a limbo than the likes of Birthright, as I think the latter recently had some sort of relevant "lapse" and now reverts to god knows who to sit on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom