Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Open World of The Witcher 3: Return of the Super Potato Brothers

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game Informer's series of Witcher 3 interviews continues. This time, the Tomaszkiewicz brothers are back to talk about the game's open world, and how it will compare with other open world games. Did you know that they could have implemented horse riding in The Witcher 2?

The gist of the video is that The Witcher 3's open world will be "like Skyrim but less generic". The brothers make a point of emphasizing that the minor sidequests Geralt encounters while on the road will be just as non-generic as the main quest. It's nice that they recognize that Fallout: New Vegas has already done what they're trying to do. CD Projekt believe they can do an even better job, though. Their intention is to develop open world creation as one of the company's core competencies, with Cyberpunk 2077 directly building on the lessons learned during the development of The Witcher 3.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
They didn't mention Two Worlds 1/2 from their fellow potato developers? Probably jealous both these outsold their own games.

BobtheTree

Savant
I like how scathing there comments are on other open world games. Makes it sound like they're actually planning to make quests and content in the open world instead of just a bunch of busywork like most open world games. Now, whether or not they deliver remains to be seen.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Yeah, he is right about the generic-ness of Skyrim but at the same time the feeling of the world.
Interesting.
I wonder how they will combine story and open world.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Although you could technically go anywhere on the map once you got a boat, with the way areas opened up gradually in Two Worlds 2, combined with the utter pointlessness of exploring the countryside, I'd almost hesitate to call it an open world game.

In my opinion, Gothic 2 is the ultimate model to follow for designing an open world game. Meaning, custom loot placement so that you actually can find cool stuff when you explore carefully, rather than just random chest of junk #34485. And of course, using meat gates rather than any sort of scaling to create a sense of danger and excitement during exploration. Honestly, it's not that hard. It's a wonder how badly Bethesda manages to fuck it up.

Indranys

Savant
It's just another promotion talk to generate hype.
"Trust us, it's gonna be awesome! Witcher 3 WILL have horse riding and this and that..."
As if CDPR Brothers are becoming Bethesda themselves.
I'll see the final product and Codex review before judge the game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Everyone likes open-world games, so we should go that direction
: x honesty.

To counter some scepticism, I think it's fair that they should try something new after making two games. If I'd be a developer, I would't want to stamp one TES after another. And they even went that far to pick up a completely new setting for them, cyberpunk, to create new title. So I can only say that the fate of the : x is truly... intriguing.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know this is just a wishful thinking... but it would be awesome if The Witcher 3 turned to be The Witcher (1) with better combat and open world full of quests and outsold Bethesda's Skyrim making Todd and Pete rage that some company from eastern european country no one cares about is more successful than them after so many years of building fanbase.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nothing has changed. All is as it was written. Bioware is dying. Beware the dawn...of the Skyrim Age.

Kahlis

Cipher
I know this is just a wishful thinking... but it would be awesome if The Witcher 3 turned to be The Witcher (1) with better combat and open world full of quests and outsold Bethesda's Skyrim making Todd and Pete rage that some company from eastern european country no one cares about is more successful than them after so many years of building fanbase.
We can only hope. But I fear that TW3 is going to be more open world in the sense that something like Assassin's Creed is, and less like TES. Most NPCs, buildings, etc. will probably continue to be window dressing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They didn't mention Two Worlds 1/2 from their fellow potato developers? Probably jealous both these outsold their own games.
Yes, in your dreams probably. Two Worlds 1 sold better, that's true, but Witcher 2 blow Two Worlds 2 out of the water.

Indranys

Savant

Amen to that.
But imagine if the CDPR Brothers are actually Todd and Pete in disguise. After Witcher 3 sold like hotcakes, suddenly CDPR and Bethesda merge into RED Bethesda Projekt.
And thus the new Empire reign supreme as the ultimate ruler of RPG universe.
Then Todd and Pete, entitled as The Twin Emperors, brofist each other as they hunt every Codexer and fellow CRPG Guardians.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Outselling them seems not very likely considering they're not level-scaling the world nor are they letting you customize your character as much as Skyrim allows (that includes appearance and playstyle). That's fine and all, but it narrows the appeal. Cyberpunk might be a contender.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Outselling them seems not very likely considering they're not level-scaling the world nor are they letting you customize your character as much as Skyrim allows (that includes appearance and playstyle). That's fine and all, but it narrows the appeal. Cyberpunk might be a contender.
but cyberpunk is not a fantasy...

so yeah, neither is going to outsell "the best game ever "skyrim, it will remain in my dreams only :(

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like how scathing there comments are on other open world games. Makes it sound like they're actually planning to make quests and content in the open world instead of just a bunch of busywork like most open world games. Now, whether or not they deliver remains to be seen.

Pretty much.

I don't mind busywork as much as many others here if it gives me good reason to check out a new cave or dungeon and said dungeon delving is fun. That said proper quest design is always better than shit errand quest design. Anything is better than random loot delivery in the last few Bioware games. "Oh thanks for my horn of semen, I dropped it somewhere and forgot, glad you found it, here is ten million gold."

Personally, I think the Witcher 2's town quest was not that bad. If they mean a bigger version of such format by "open-world," then, I wouldn't find many issues with that. Also, even during the development of the Witcher 2, they were talking of ecosystem among wilderness.

That said, big budget games need much more people to buy them, which pushes people here into the realm of the minority even further. Naturally, my interests are almost exclusively on low-budget projects now. W3, or whatsoever, is not a big deal.

mondblut

Arcane
Anything is better than random loot delivery in the last few Bioware games. "Oh thanks for my horn of semen, I dropped it somewhere and forgot, glad you found it, here is ten million gold."

You have just described the entire Might & Magic franchise. Methinks the random loot delivery is not the root of the problem in modern RPGs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You have just described the entire Might & Magic franchise. Methinks the random loot delivery is not the root of the problem in modern RPGs.

Well, different expectations in 2013 after the IE games, Fallouts and etc. Also I'm not the biggest M&M fan, candies or RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom