Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mystery solved? "Anonymous industry source" reveals unpaid royalties as reason for BG:EE takedown

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Atari; Baldur's Gate; Beamdog

Last month, we learned that due to unspecified "contractual issues" with Atari, former Bioware developer Trent Oster and his company, Beamdog, had been forbidden from independently selling Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and from developing its sequel. Today, a newspost at GameBanshee seems to finally set the record straight on why exactly this occurred. I quote:

Two weeks ago we reported that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition was pulled at Atari's request, and also noted that Atari was selling the title on Steam themselves. Now that we have been contacted by an industry source that requested to remain anonymous, we might know why.​

Apparently Beamdog hasn't paid Atari the royalties that they were owed, which led the publisher to ask them to pull the title from their services, and delay both Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition's patch and the release of the sequel's remastering.​

However it has to be noted that the circumstances surrounding this aren't clear at all. Something like Atari informally telling Beamdog that they could delay payment is hardly out of the realm of possibilities, but right now we have no elements to assume that, and this amounts to pure speculation.​

We contacted both Atari and Beamdog to comment on this. While, as of this posting, Atari hasn't gotten back to us, Beamdog president Trent Oster reiterated that they're working with Atari to resolve this dispute, though he wouldn't confirm or deny whether what we heard from our source is true.​

We'll let you know if we hear more news, and I'm certain I echo the sentiments of the GameBanshee staff at large when I say my hope is that this gets resolved sooner rather than later.​

Tsk tsk, Beamdog. I certainly hope this was all a big misunderstanding and not an attempt to make an easy buck off of a dying publisher.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Reading the title, i thought that "Anonymous industry source" was something out of 4chan.

anyway, i'll agree that
I'm certain I echo the sentiments of the GameBanshee Codex staff at large when I say my hope is that this gets resolved sooner rather than later later rather than sooner.

possibly never

tindrli

Arcane
ehem. i come from the third world country and i have never heard about term pay royalities :? can anyone explain what is that ??

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ehem. i come from the third world country and i have never heard about term pay royalities :? can anyone explain what is that ??

Beamdog weren't paying Atari the percentage they owed off of each copy of BG:EE they sold.

Diablo169

Arcane
Reaction on the official forums is awsome

For now I take this information with 10^oo grains of salt, Beamdog has proved many times that it cares for their fans more than any company out there.

:what:

Stabwound

Arcane
As much as I want them to crash and burn, I see this as being pretty unlikely or some kind of misunderstanding. They had a contract for BG2:EE and I doubt they'd fuck it up by pulling a stunt like this.

Maybe there's some sort of butthurt from Beamdog about Atari selling the game directly themselves through Steam and other sources, because it was supposed to be a Beamdog exclusive. Who knows?

tindrli

Arcane
got it.. i wonder.. does anyone knows how much atari wanted?? what is usual amount if such think exist anyway?? 1 %, 2 %??

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19702/gamebanshee-update-on-current-situation

You are my hero...you put it well together. This is a very good example of what is happening in my home country right now (Egypt), how rumors and speculations, and a horrible nasty deceiving media can do. Create conflicts, civilians deaths, chaos, unrest, illegally overthrowing an innocent leader and so on.

:(

The Muslim Brotherhood supports BG:EE
andhaira.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
For now I take this information with 10^oo grains of salt, Beamdog has proved many times that it cares for their fans more than any company out there.

So, does anyone know what they actually did to become known as so caring?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

So, does anyone know what they actually did to become known as so caring?

fanbois
fanbois are retarded by definition
anything they say is probably not true

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm certain I echo the sentiments of the GameBanshee staff at large when I say my hope is that this gets resolved sooner rather than later.

Good to see you still hold the torch of decline high, GB :salute:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Reaction on the official forums is awsome

Most companies have the same automated software that generates such replies. FanBot, I think it's called.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom