Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Barkley 2 and Dead State Presentations at PAX Prime

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Barkley 2: Revenge of Cuchulainn; Brian Mitsoda; Dead State; DoubleBear Productions; Eric Shumaker; Oscar Velzi; Tales of Game's

IMBLOGO031.png
dead_state_logo_v2.png

Two games of Codexian interest made an appearance at the Indie Megabooth at PAX Prime yesterday - Barkley 2 and Dead State. Both games received short presentations on PAX's Livestream, which you can watch at Twitch.TV here and here (warning: extremely annoying hosts). The presentations are about 11-12 minutes long each and include gameplay demonstrations showing off the games' combat, dialogue, etc. The biggest news from the presentations, however, is that both games have been delayed into 2014.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think chef has a bit more meat on his bones. That McJordan sauce is really panning out.

Last edited:

Jashiin

Arcane
Is there a summary somewhere ? I really can't handle dumb annoying hosts anymore.

Repressed Homosexual
I'm not sure it was that much a good choice to make it a real-time single-player action RPG. From the demo it looks like you will always face very few enemies on screen at the same time anyway and I doubt enemies such as bosses have more elaborate combat patterns.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm going to disagree with HHR because I find the gameplay evokes a hybrid feel seldom seen today. Brainlord was one of my favs on Snes, and it was a perfect blend of action, puzzle/ platformer, and rpg. Can't wait to see more!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
And I'm p. sure there will be more enemies and more hectic battles, they should have used more of the cyberkobold mobs in this demo.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The AI and combat are things we're still working on. We didn't show any items or class abilities in the video - every class, and there are dozens, has abilities it can do that add some tactical depth and variety to combat. Some more dramatically alter the game than others. We're working really hard to make this a game where combat is not about running backwards and shooting, because that sucks, and we've got some very good ideas but combat is probably the least developed part of the game right now.

The first boss you can possibly fight in this game, and it's optional, is a room. So figure that one out.

Also yeah, I've gained about 10 pounds since I started working on Barkley! I need to start running again or I'm going to end up on that diabetes island from the first game.

Oh yeah and we talked to our host before the show and he was a very nice guy. PAX is exhausting and he'd been at it for 4 days so he was dying, kind of like we were. He knew the first game, I don't think he should be expected to know every single dumb indie game that exists.

Last edited:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Everything looks pretty good IMHO, especially the transparency about where all the money goes. Props/drinks/brofists.....

keppj0nes

Educated
Barkley looks so good. Really interested in the good size dialogs and side quests. Sucks it wont be out until next year.

Murk

Arcane
Posted in other thread but also just to say: game looks great. I love the art style, love the music. The dialog looks just as good if not better than the first too. Definitely stoked to explore the game.

Micmu

Magister
[Preview]?! More like [Vapourware], amirite? : troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom