Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Paper Sorcerer Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Paper Sorcerer; UltraRunawayGames

Paper Sorcerer, a Kickstarter-funded game inspired by Wizardry 4 and Shadowgate, has been finally released today. All those who pre-ordered it should have received a download link in their inbox, as I did this morning.

Paper Sorcerer is a stylish single player turn based RPG focused on strategy, party-building, and environmental puzzles. Fight with the skills and spells you've learned in a battle system that emphasizes strategy over grinding. Assemble a party of monsters and dark creatures to fight alongside you. Explore and solve environmental puzzles to unlock secret paths and find extra loot! A double-sided adventure, an RPG with adventure game elements.​

The game's also up for purchase for $5 or 3,83€ (Windows, Mac or Linux) over at the Ultra Runaway Games website: www.ultrarunaway.com

This will of course be overshadowed by the Grimoire Super Demo release, but it's still nice to know Cleve isn't the only person who continues to be inspired by Wizardry too. I haven't yet had the chance to give the final version of Paper Sorcerer a try, so I can't really offer any impressions. The early demo that I tried a few months ago was a bit too simplistic though.

Thanks to Marquess Cornwallis for reminding me to post about this.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Awesome. I missed the boat on contributing to this game but have had my eye on it for a while. It looks fantastic and I'll check it out soon.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I'm sure it's a playable game, but releasing it so close to the Grimoire demo will absolutely murder its sales numbers.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm sure it's a playable game, but releasing it so close to the Grimoire demo will absolutely murder its sales numbers.
Codexers aside, does anybody know what Grimoire is at all? I don't think Grimoire will have an effect on anything.

Mortmal

Arcane
145 mo estimated download time 53 min..... They could have allowed us a little more bandwith .

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Awesome! Somehow I missed the KS campaign and never heard of this before but it looks pretty sweet! Payment is processing right now.

skyst

Augur
This looks great. I also completely missed it on Kickstarter, unfortunately. Anyone have some first impressions?

LeJosh

Savant
Make a save right at the start, I died and you can't skip the intro movie.

There are 4 difficulty levels, easy normal hard and 1980s. Trying out 80s mode and I got steamrolled by the first guy, 4hp left and my minion died after fighting the guard then you have to fight 3 of them... that's what killed me.

You get to pick a minion and there's a lot, I'll edit this post when I see them again.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Never heard of it, but watching the video I'm impressed with the style. Another proof of "necessity begets ingenuity", showing how even low budget fundings can produce polished products.

V_K

Arcane
Completed two first major areas ("Blocks" as the game calls them) and so far it's been a pretty fun blobber, though more of a Lands of Lore than Wizardry kind - i.e. not too deep but with loads of character. Wizardry influence is largely contained to the premise (evil wizard escapes a prison with the help of his summons) and overall game structure (dungeon + menu-based town).
Its strongest points so far has been unique art style, equally unique setting (an enchanted book that serves as a prison for various villains), and good level design (though levels themselves are rather small). Weakest point - a somewhat JRPGish character system (level-ups are automatic, but you can customize your characters with additional training in town). Combat is decent, with a large arsenal of different combat skills providing for different tactics, but nothing exceptional.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Weakest point - a somewhat JRPGish character system (level-ups are automatic, but you can customize your characters with additional training in town).

Sounds like more customization than the actual Wizardry 4 had. :M

(Automatic level-ups were actually there in Wizardry 1-5 already and are by no means "JRPGish". They were also random which was actually really cool!)

What about puzzles and secrets? I remember the demo area that I played being basically a corridor devoid of any puzzles or tricky situations whatsoever.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
What about puzzles and secrets? I remember the demo area that I played being basically a corridor devoid of any puzzles or tricky situations whatsoever.
So far - some secret doors, one to three inventory puzzles (depending on what you count as such), all strictly optional and none too hard. Block 3 is promised to have some illusionary walls, let's see how it turns out.

Repressed Homosexual
Not interested in this, this is just a complete eyesore, I certainly will never stare at this for hours on end. What was he thinking? It's like the FPS from ex-Monolith guys, only the Monolith guys had enough sense to remove it.

skyst

Augur
Not interested in this, this is just a complete eyesore, I certainly will never stare at this for hours on end. What was he thinking? It's like the FPS from ex-Monolith guys, only the Monolith guys had enough sense to remove it.

Funny, it's the art direction that initially drew me in. Something about the hand drawn style and party attack animations make me all hot and bothered. Download just finished - eating lunch then having at it! :bounce:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

On the one hand, I completely understand where you are coming from as I thought the same thing when I saw it was all in beige. On the other hand, speaking as someone who played for hours on the old black and white gameboys etc, I think I could get used to it if the RPG systems are interesting enough.

V_K

Arcane
Block 3 is promised to have some illusionary walls, let's see how it turns out.
Nope, false intelligence. Secret doors do get a bit more tricky though.

I thought the same thing when I saw it was all in beige
Not all, some levels have bluish hue instead :cool:.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom