Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Blackguards released on Steam Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Blackguards; Daedalic Entertainment

Surprise! Blackguards, Daedalic's turn-based tactical RPG set in the world of The Dark Eye, just came out on Steam Early Access, a day before originally planned. Here's the game's teaser video:

A FAQ on the game's store page explains what you'll get if you purchase it now. Here's an excerpt:

Cards on the table! What's in the game right now?

Starting with the early access on November 6th the game will contain the first of five chapters. We will add the following chapters with periodical updates as more and more content gets integrated. Our goal is to release a new chapter roughly every two weeks until the final release.

The first chapter of the game contains:
  • more than 50 battle maps
  • 11 quest chains
  • 3 playable character classes (Warrior, Mage, Hunter)
  • lots of items
  • 10 to 12 hours of gameplay
What are you still working on?

As the game is still in development, not everything in the game is highly polished or implemented yet. Here is a list on what is subject to change during the Early Access phase:
  • Content: New game chapters will be added
  • Balancing: Difficulty, ability values and effects, map layouts etc. will vary
  • Overall polishing: We're enhancing the overall feeling of the game
  • Technical issues: There may occur minor bugs, we're improving stability with each update
How can I participate in the development process?

That's simple. Just play and (hopefully) enjoy the game. Then give us feedback on what you liked and what you disliked so far. You may also make suggestions on what you would change or like to see in the game - just remember that the game already is feature complete. That means that we simply cannot add major features or turn the game 180 degrees around. We would also like if you report bugs as they turn up, so that our development team can fix them in the next regular update.
There's a timetable for those new game chapters:

The Early Access Version includes:
  • First chapter at start
  • Second chapter end of November
  • Third chapter mid of December
  • Fourth chapter end of December
  • Fifth chapter end of January
The game is available at various price points, as the press release from last week explains:

Daedalic Entertainment offers several packages for those interested in Early Access. In every case, players will secure access to the final version of Blackguards, by paying a lower price than they would if they purchased the game after its official release.

Additionally, they have the opportunity to purchase exclusive extras that will only be available before the official release: For $24.99/£18.99/€24.99, players receive the Standard Early Access Edition of Blackguards, including all chapters for PC at their earliest availability, and the full PC & Mac version of the game after the official release. For $34.99/£26.99/€34.99, players receive the Blackguards Early Access Deluxe Edition, additionally including an approx. 150 page artbook, as well as developer interview videos and six exclusive wallpapers.

Priced $49.99/£29.99/€49.99, the Blackguards Early Access Contributor Edition additionally includes an appearance of a buyer’s name within the game’s credits, as well as the first Blackguards DLC and a copy of the The Dark Eye point & click adventure Chains of Satinav for free.
Time to find out whether this game is good, then.

Lhynn

Arcane
And here some people completly gave up on 2013.+M

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Just looking at the screenshots, the game doesn't seem interesting to me. Nothing about it makes it seem like a game I'd want to play. I'll wait and hear what other people are saying about it before I decide if I'll buy it or not.

Monty

Arcane
For $34.99/£26.99/€34.99, players receive the Blackguards Early Access Deluxe Edition, additionally including an approx. 150 page artbook, as well as developer interview videos and six exclusive wallpapers.

Priced $49.99/£29.99/€49.99, the Blackguards Early Access Contributor Edition additionally includes an appearance of a buyer’s name within the game’s credits, as well as the first Blackguards DLC and a copy of the The Dark Eye point & click adventure Chains of Satinav for free.

I guess they mean £39.99 for the contributor edition or it doesn't make much sense

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just looking at the screenshots, the game doesn't seem interesting to me. Nothing about it makes it seem like a game I'd want to play. I'll wait and hear what other people are saying about it before I decide if I'll buy it or not.

Whoops, thanks for reminding me. Added teaser video to OP.

For $34.99/£26.99/€34.99, players receive the Blackguards Early Access Deluxe Edition, additionally including an approx. 150 page artbook, as well as developer interview videos and six exclusive wallpapers.

I guess they mean £39.99 for the contributor edition or it doesn't make much sense

Nope, it's 29.99. http://store.steampowered.com/app/249650/?cc=uk

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Contributor Edition purchased.

Oh yeah. It's DSA baby. What can I say. I was gonna get my name on a DSA product some day, one way or another.

My body is ready
KQOYOiB.gif

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, thank god Blackguards Early Access appeared to prove them wrong.
Brother None seems to be hyped :bounce:.
Either way, looks like it has a lot of potential, like most RPGs do before they fuck it up i guess. Im going to give it a shot, it will either give me joy or something to complain about, so win/win.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I approve of how the character system is presented for the most part, particularly how the relevant derived statistics are highlighted when selecting an attribute.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
heh, this plays like incubation with more stuff to do between fights. neat.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I approve of how the character system is presented for the most part, particularly how the relevant derived statistics are highlighted when selecting an attribute.

*tzzzzz* calling Infinitron

Roguey just said something positive about a non-Sawyer RPG, launch code RED. I repeat: Launch code RED.

Grunker out *tzzzzzzz*

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's the kind of GUI functionality Josh would request. As I've said, Joshliness is next to godliness.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Heh, considering how the game uses APs to level up everything, from attributes to weapon skills, talents and spells, it's very easy to fuck up your build and end up with a shitty character... couple that with no random encounters for characters to over-level a battle if they suck, and you'll have a game where many (bad) players will get stuck and forced to re-roll.

So no, Sawyer probably wouldn't approve of this game's character system. You're losing your touch Roguey.

Josh is an athiest Roguey. I am not sure he would approve of your elevation of him next to godliness.

Heh, considering how the game uses APs to level up everything, from attributes to weapon skills, talents and spells, it's very easy to fuck up your build and end up with a shitty character... couple that with no random encounters for characters to over-level a battle if they suck, and you'll have a game where many (bad) players will get stuck and forced to re-roll.

So no, Sawyer probably wouldn't approve of this game's character system. You're losing your touch Roguey.

:lol:

oscar

Arcane

But is the combat difficult enough for having a shitty character to actually matter?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But is the combat difficult enough for having a shitty character to actually matter?
YES! :D

The game have some nasty battles, especially the side-quests, and sometimes will force you into a sequence of battles without any healing or re-stocking.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

iceburn.gif

sometimes will force you into a sequence of battles without any healing or re-stocking.

Can't wait for this shit. Sounds infinitely better than the rest of the DA-games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I was referring to presentation, not the character system itself. Since it's based on a P&P game it's obviously junk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom