Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo talks to Rock Paper Shotgun about the Wasteland 2 beta

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

As you've probably noticed, it's nearly December and the Wasteland 2 beta hasn't been released yet. The latest news, according to Brian Fargo's Twitter feed, is that it's going to be released in about 2.5 weeks. The guys at Rock Paper Shotgun decided to contact him for more details. Here's what the man had to say:

RPS: What, specifically, caused you to take longer than you initially expected? Were there any major sticking points, or was it just a general polish type of thing?

Fargo: There is no one particular thing that pushed us out this last 6 weeks, we just wanted to have the minimum number of systems in place so that our backers could have a reasonable play experience. To achieve that we needed to have 95% of the final game’s systems working but of course the good news is that we now have most of the underpinnings complete. We certainly did have some technical issues in that we are pushing what Unity can accomplish and their 64 bit version isn’t ready yet.

I expect a good 6-10 hours of [beta] gameplay for a non speed run approach.

A game of this size has a lot of moving parts which has the inevitable breaking of code when checking a fix in for an issue. I still have a long list of things I’d like to see done but it’s time to get it out and work with the fans on shaping it from here. It’s certainly a tightrope we walk between releasing it to ravenous backers who want to see it and us wanting to make sure it’s in a form we’re proud of.

RPS: How much of the game are you planning to include in the early beta? Which areas, systems, and elements of progression?

Fargo: We are going to give away a part of the Arizona area for players to explore. I’d rather not spoil which areas they are but I expect a good 6-10 hours of gameplay for a non speed run approach. There is a lot to do, and it is a virtual impossibility to see some major events in a single play through, as some are mutually exclusive. In addition, you are likely to miss some nice moments as we don’t guide you strictly on what you do. Of course this sets its up for some nice re-playability.

RPS: Have you had to cut anything from the beta in the interest of time? If so, will it make its way back in before the testing phase ends?

Fargo: There are some skills that we have not implemented – like Silent Move and Salvaging for example – and we intend to increase the size of the beta as time goes by. We will continually update Wasteland 2 with new areas, skills and options and players will get to experience seeing the current levels get an added boost of reactivity and choice based on the feedback and observations of play. We will have a relatively short roll out to our beta backers so we can get it into the people’s hands who paid early for it.

Our plan was always to make Arizona be the beta test bed but for us to keep Los Angeles for the final release so the gamers can still be surprised and to minimize spoilers. There might be a few other features and surprises that the players are going to quite like too.
No stealth and salvaging, huh? I do hope those features are functional and accounted for in inXile's own internal build. By the way, have you seen these two new screenshots yet?

I think that raider has been spending too much time with his dogs.

hiver

Stealth never really worked in fallouts either. They better simply scrape it completely. And salvaging too. Who needs that many item "parts" anyway? Youll get plenty of stuff just the same. Its just bloat.

Repressed Homosexual
A few months left and the systems are not all implemented. Seems to me that they are scrambling due to lack of time. I think the game will end up being underdeveloped and seriously unbalanced, like Expeditions. Kickstarter development cycles do not allow for enough time and resources to make mid-sized games.

Tigranes

Arcane
Coming up soon: bunch of Codexers who either don't know or have forgotten how betas, game development and feature development work. OMG ITS NOT WORKING KICKSTARTER FAIL RAPE FARGO

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fargo delays the game to an indeterminate release date, then delays the beta for two months, and people think he's "scrambling" and running out of money? :lol:

Disgruntled

Savant
A few months left and the systems are not all implemented. Seems to me that they are scrambling due to lack of time. I think the game will end up being underdeveloped and seriously unbalanced, like Expeditions. Kickstarter development cycles do not allow for enough time and resources to make mid-sized games.

Expeditions turned out pretty good for its budget. But it doesnt make me optimistic for Wasteland 2.
I could forgive W2 looking like it was made in the 90s, but not when its backend gameplay leaves me in doubt as well.

In hindsight id probably ask them to make a mod overhaul instead. Seems like they do not have enough time and money to build a classic crpg from scratch.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher

Expeditions turned out pretty good for its budget. But it doesnt make me optimistic for Wasteland 2.
I could forgive W2 looking like it was made in the 90s, but not when its backend gameplay leaves me in doubt as well.

In hindsight id probably ask them to make a mod overhaul instead. Seems like they do not have enough time and money to build a classic crpg from scratch.

Its common knowledge by now that new tech + new team is a recipe for disaster. Wasteland 2 looks like a promising foundation but I doubt it'll be anything more than that. Be hyped for Torment instead, full production on that game will start after inxile's RPG team has gelled and gotten experienced with the unity engine.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Coming up soon: bunch of Codexers who either don't know or have forgotten how betas, game development and feature development work. OMG ITS NOT WORKING KICKSTARTER FAIL RAPE FARGO
Betas are supposed to be feature complete ^_^

Smedstad: possibly right

BTW here's another prediction: Larian's Divinity: Original Sin beta will be feature complete. It kinda has to be considering they're releasing it in early January and they have to have the gold master out by late Jan-early Feb. Larian, more competent than inXile. Amazing.

imweasel

Just because the external (backer) beta has content cut out, does not mean that the internal beta is not feature complete. Fargo said during the Kickstarter (or sometime shortly after that) that the backer beta will not be feature and content complete.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just because the external (backer) beta has content cut out, does not mean that the internal beta is not feature complete. Fargo said during the Kickstarter (or sometime shortly after that) that the backer beta will not be feature and content complete.

There are some skills that we have not implemented – like Silent Move and Salvaging for example

imweasel

Check your comprehension skills. He is talking about the backer beta, not the internal beta. Right in the next sentence Fargo says that they will continually add more content (skills, maps, etc.) to the backer beta.

We will continually update Wasteland 2 with new areas, skills and options [...]

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
10546_500.jpg

Damn grids.

They look like shit.

Zeriel

Arcane

Smedstad: possibly right

BTW here's another prediction: Larian's Divinity: Original Sin beta will be feature complete. It kinda has to be considering they're releasing it in early January and they have to have the gold master out by late Jan-early Feb. Larian, more competent than inXile. Amazing.

How is that surprising? Larian has survived as a mid-tier developer for over a decade, verging into AAA territory at times, without giving up their independence. inXile barely survived with mobile/shovelware, and only is back as a developer worth mentioning because of Kickstarter nostalgia pity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
"Barely survived"? I don't think inXile has ever edged close to being shut down in the same way that Obsidian was back in 2011. They did have to lay off everybody after Hunted but that was considered par for the course.

Zeriel

Arcane
"Lay everybody off and not develope actual games anyone cares about" is the very definition of "barely survived" in the gaming industry, as far as I'm concerned. Unless you set the bar at Herve & Interplay levels of dysfunction.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
"Lay everybody off and not develope actual games anyone cares about" is the very definition of "barely survived" in the gaming industry, as far as I'm concerned. Unless you set the bar at Herve & Interplay levels of dysfunction.

*shrug* Larian wasn't particularly active between Beyond Divinity and Divinity 2 either. During that time they also did pre-KS inXile type shit. They did make an impressive comeback on their own. D:OS has been in development for a pretty long time - they had a functioning prototype when Wasteland 2 was still in preproduction, so since 2011 at least. It's not really fair to compare them.

Last edited:
Screenshots look awesome. Caught a spelling error but don't care. Glad their taking their time and I am still optimistic. No complaints and looking forward to Beta. :thumbsup:

Seerix

Arbiter
Beta? More like a fucking demo version and they just don't want to admit it. Pretty silly because people would love to hear: "Hey guys, we're making a demo of Wasteland 2 for you, it has over six hours of gameplay!" instead of all this talk talk talk.

Demos aren't feature complete either. So, wanna be sneaky? Buy the full game. :troll:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Where are the days where we had 10 pages of discussions about action points number style instead on this?

whitepony

Educated
Being more of a story fag in general, I love a game with tactical TB (JA and KOTC amongst the best IMO). I would so much welcome a JA combat in the Fallout setting. Looks like W2 is not going to be that fancied game but I still hope it'll be a big_to_huge incline.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

It was meant to look like late 90-ties games; Iso perspective + 2D feel...
Carry on newfag. :hero:

LeJosh

Savant
Is this the Really Pretty Graphics 'dex or Role Playing Game 'dex because the lines between the two are getting blurrier each day.

Is font style that important? Blur can be turned off (thank god) and I presume other "post-processing" effects can be turned off and I'll bet that this game is better looking in motion rather than screenshots. As far as 3D games go that is. 2D is still be superior. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom