Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Italian Torment Interviews: Chris Avellone and Kevin Saunders

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Torment: Tides of Numenera

For some reason, the official Italian Torment: Tides of Numenera blog does some of the best interviews about the game. Today they published an excellent one with Chris Avellone, who is in full professional mode and has some interesting things to say. Here's an excerpt:

Hi Chris, you were the lead designer di Planescape: Torment and the guy who wrote a huge part of that game. Even if your role in T:ToN development is smaller, part of your job now consists in reviewing various design docs and giving advice to the other Torment developers. Is there any particular area of Tides of Numenera that has taken advantage of your feedbacks, something where players can clearly recognize your signature? And on the other hand, what’s the feature designed by another guy of the team that appealed you the most?

I
’ve been part of intense story reviews with Colin McComb, Adam Heine, Kevin Saunders, and Nathan Long on Torment, and given hours of feedback on the story structure, plot direction, and questions about player agency – that said, the story is very much from Colin’s mind, he was open to a sounding board for a variety of concepts.

So what appealed to me at first glance? Oddly enough: the combat tie-in to the protagonist’s dilemma. And the reasons surrounding the player’s initial quandary, which I’d be happy to elaborate more on once the game is released and people have had a chance to play it. What I like about Colin is he really likes digging in deep with motivations for NPCs and then laying out the quest and backdrop permutations that result naturally from asking a lot of questions about how the NPC would handle the situation if he had years upon years to tackle it.

You are well known for the memorable characters you wrote for pretty much every game you’ve worked on. You’ve also stated many times that themes and game systems should play a role in the writing process of an RPG, especially when it comes to companion design. Can you tell us how these elements influence your work both in Torment and Pillars of Eternity?

I laid out some companion specs for design based on 15+ years doing it, and those same principles were re-examined for Torment as well, with one exception: Kevin and I agreed that there may be Torment characters that don’t serve a game mechanic function as long as their narrative presence is strong (which is fine). Although, that didn’t stop me from trying to suggest new ways to make those narrative-based characters still contribute to the game mechanics.

Is there anything else you want to add on the companion topic? Maybe a concrete sample (either from Torment or from Pillars of Eternity)? Probably you don’t want to give away too much too early, but there’s no harm in trying.

The companion for Torment was born out of reading the others – I wanted to make a character whose fit, in terms of the RPG mechanics, with the others (ex: what party role was missing that would be needed to round out the party?), and also someone that would be fun and interesting in a party banter situation, as well as with the player.

So the first thought after reading through the companions was – wow, we have a grim bunch. Like, really grim. You feel sad and terrible after reading most of them, although there’s bright points of light (the Toy, for example, and Pat Rothfuss’s character, who is great, and also Nathan Long’s character, which fulfills another important role I’ll get to once revealed). In the end, I recognized one important companion signpost in Torment lies in characters like Morte and Nordom – one provides humor naturally in irreverence, the other provides humor in being a fish out of water. The companion I’m doing in Torment is another take on adding some levity to the situation, whether intended to or not. I’ve played him in a few Numenera tabletop sessions, and so far, he adds a lot of… energy… to encounters. Plus, he’ll be a lot of fun to write, and I think he’ll lead to some interesting adventure possibilities.
The Italian Torment blog also did an equally awesome interview with Kevin Saunders last month, which for some reason I didn't post back then. Well, better late than never:

Hi Kevin, my fist question is about exploration. In his last Kickstarter Update, Montgomery Markland wrote about world-map gameplay in Wasteland 2. Can we expect something similar in Torment: Tides of Numenera or is the game’s focus far too different? Broadly speaking, do you think free-roaming adds to RPG’s formula?

First, thanks for your well thought-out questions! I think world maps such as Wasteland 2’s can be a great gameplay feature, but they do affect the game’s pacing and type of experience it creates. Broadly speaking, I do think free-roaming is beneficial to RPGs and, for the amount of effort they require, a world map can add much gameplay and depth. I initially dreamt of a world map component for Torment, but over time it’s come to feel like it might not mesh with our vision for this game. We will see.

I really love the idea behind “Crises”, but I’m curious to know how exactly are you guys planning to handle them? Mainly trough text - in choose-your-own-adventure fashion - or through “normal” gameplay? Will they incorporate puzzle-solving elements, instant death events and other challenges? What are the pros and the cons of Crises compared to a more “system-oriented” approach to non-lethal gameplay ( i.e. stealth/hacking in Deus Ex/Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines)?

Crises occur in the framework of normal gameplay, but are separate from exploration or conversation gameplay, much like real-time exploration is separate from combat in some classic RPGs. For example, we expect for the interface and some of your options to change when you’re in a Crisis (e.g., we may find that different game camera options are best for Crisis gameplay than for when you’re exploring the world). They won’t be choose-your-own-adventure style; text will be a part of them, but in the same way as it is throughout the rest of the game, with you potentially engaging in (limited duration) conversations and examining items in the environment. I think it’s accurate to say that Crises will include puzzle-solving elements. We won’t blindside players with unpredictable instant death, but you’ll pay the consequences if you’re careless.

The main reasons we are looking at this approach (as compared to the approach in the examples you give) have to do with compartmentalizing these experiences, which provides benefits such as:
  1. We can safely create the environments throughout all of the parts of the game that don’t have Crises even while we’re still iterating on Crisis design. So we can take the time necessary to flesh out our Crises and best understand what they require from their environments without putting the rest of environment creation on hold. This is especially important because we expect iteration on our 2D prerendered environments to be more challenging than for a 3D game.
  2. We can consider more extreme abilities and reactivity (i.e., choice and consequences).
  3. This approach allows us to handcraft the major encounters, simultaneously blending non-combat elements into them. We promised early that our encounters would be thoughtful and strategic, and Crises allow us to live up to that promise.
The primary potential disadvantage is that the Crises (and thus combat) will feel less seamless. This affects the pacing of the game in ways that could be either good or bad depending upon the specifics. But we do risk some loss of immersion.

Speaking of character development, while I was reading the Numenera Corebook, Focus struck me as the most defining trait of your character’s build (seriously, some of them give you X-men-like superpowers). Since Foci greatly impact character development, do you think it’s wise to tie them to the alignment system in Torment? As a rule, are you positive about the idea of mixing role-play and character development elements?

A very insightful question. In fact, while we did say previously that we’d tie foci to your Legacy, over the last months, we have been rethinking that idea for the reason you imply. We have come up with more ways for the Tides (and Legacies) to have narrative relevance and plan to keep them more detached from the core gameplay systems. We want players to make their narrative choices based upon what they want to do, not what powers they want to harness.

Narrative is definitely one of the highlights of Planescape: Torment (and Mask of the Betrayer as well). The Nameless One’s is a journey you won’t forget, but is also a pretty linear one. I mean, there’s A LOT of room for reactivity and unusual interactions, but you have to visit the principal locations in a certain order, meet certain characters and (SPOILER ALERT!!!) ultimately die. How linear will Tides of Numenera be in comparison, and what’s your thoughts on non-linearity in story-driven RPGs?

We expect Torment: Tides of Numenera to be similar to Planescape: Torment in terms of linearity. We’ll have room for exploration and self-direction, but particular story points will be gated by narrative events that must occur to move the story along. I do think that non-linearity can work well in a story-driven RPG, but that it does affect the nature of the story that is told.
As linear as PS:T, huh? I remember them saying it would be less linear at one point, but I guess we can't really complain.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
False Messiah said:
If the story can be accomplished visually or with audio, I prefer it. By audio, I don’t mean dialogue that’s voiced, or even spoken audio logs, but SFX in the environment. I feel BioShock and Halflife have it right in presenting a story to the player – and allow them to participate in piecing together the experience through the arrangement of props and visuals.

:flamesaw:

DIALOGUE TREES ÜBER ALLES!
TEXT DESCRIPTIONS MUST FLOW!

Rake

Arcane
False Messiah said:
If the story can be accomplished visually or with audio, I prefer it. By audio, I don’t mean dialogue that’s voiced, or even spoken audio logs, but SFX in the environment. I feel BioShock and Halflife have it right in presenting a story to the player – and allow them to participate in piecing together the experience through the arrangement of props and visuals.

:flamesaw:

DIALOGUE TREES ÜBER ALLES!
TEXT DESCRIPTIONS MUST FLOW!
354350b52516993176798122fd5fe50b8ab78bd52a19c374ac210b2f3fc0be54.jpg

hiver

About the world map.

I dont think there is a need to have an interactive world map like in the same way W2 does. But it sure would be nice to travel over a world map and have some random encounters or to "discover" some small area or a leftover from the past ages.

btw, the italian blog does a good interview because it IS NOT a "game media" hype monetization scam.

-

What I like about Colin is he really likes digging in deep with motivations for NPCs and then laying out the quest and backdrop permutations that result naturally from asking a lot of questions about how the NPC would handle the situation if he had years upon years to tackle it.
Colin is better then Avellone.

You heard it here first.

If the story can be accomplished visually or with audio, I prefer it. By audio, I don’t mean dialogue that’s voiced, or even spoken audio logs, but SFX in the environment.
The decline of Avellone.

(he is right about half life though, but thats another kind of meat altogether)

Last edited by a moderator:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Avellone loves environmental story telling. This has been know for years. System Shock is like his more favorite game ever.

hiver

I know... i just cant miss an opportunity to berate someone who was codex god of writing and whatnot for so long.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Avellone loves environmental story telling. This has been know for years. System Shock is like his more favorite game ever.

He also loves doing text-driven storytelling. We're talking about the same dude who did Christine in Dead Money.

Avellone is a complicated man who loves and hates many things.

eremita

Savant
Fuck all of you. There's a great potential for non-violent interactions in CRPGs.

Chris's reference to Inglourious Basterds with regard to more non-combat conflicts is spot-on. Any game has yet to create such tension that entirely revolves around so much perception, observation, deception, bluffing. I would love an RPG that had at most maybe only 20 combat encounters but otherwise full of such non-combat conflicts that demand creative and involving tactical input from the player the way combat does.

hiver

Thats only possible if the combat is absolutely deadly when it happens - as it is in Inglorious basterds or other such movies that created moments of extremely high stakes and tension.
And as we know, ...

Fuck all of you. There's a great potential for non-violent interactions in CRPGs.
nobody said anything against that, young Fry... how about cutting back on slurm a bit?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A very insightful question. In fact, while we did say previously that we’d tie foci to your Legacy, over the last months, we have been rethinking that idea for the reason you imply. We have come up with more ways for the Tides (and Legacies) to have narrative relevance and plan to keep them more detached from the core gameplay systems. We want players to make their narrative choices based upon what they want to do, not what powers they want to harness.

I don't think Torment can become more than the sum of its parts with that kind of compartmentalization. It will still be a great game, but not the cohesive experience it could be.

It's light-aligned Jedi using Force Lightning all over again.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That is the opposite of compartmentalization, dumbass.

I'm not an expert on the Numenera system, but a cursory glance at google says 'foci' refers to combat style.

More detached. As in, less integrated, keeping separate. That's what it means to compartmentalize something. In this case, to stop your alignment from affecting combat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't think Torment can become more than the sum of its parts with that kind of compartmentalization. It will still be a great game, but not the cohesive experience it could be.

I'd be more concerned if PS:T hadn't done pretty much the same thing. Don't remember any good/evil or lawful/chaotic exclusive abilities. Of course, AD&D was pretty low on abilities altogether.

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned if PS:T hadn't done pretty much the same thing. Don't remember any good/evil or lawful/chaotic exclusive abilities. Of course, AD&D was pretty low on abilities altogether.

This. Alignment/morality/character decisions should affect how other characters react to you, not whether you get to cast magic missile of holiness v magic missile of evil.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There were exclusive options available. Which I think people liked.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There were exclusive options available. Which I think people liked.

Yeah, but not much if anything related to core character development mechanics.

To say I was 'concerned' would be putting it strongly. Mildly disappointed, quickly got over.

Its not a "big deal" and won't stand in the way of it being a good (or great) game, but in real life a person's "alignment" would probably affect their combat style.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
That is the opposite of compartmentalization, dumbass.

I'm not an expert on the Numenera system, but a cursory glance at google says 'foci' refers to combat style.

More detached. As in, less integrated, keeping separate. That's what it means to compartmentalize something. In this case, to stop your alignment from affecting combat.

Detached from the mechanics, meaning that we didn't want, for example, only Red-Silver Tides to have access to the Force Lightning (note: we are not having Force Lightning). We wanted to make the Foci available narratively, not mechanically, so we detached them from the Tides & Legacy system and reattached them to the story. Now if you want Force Lightning, you need to meet the people who can introduce it to you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom