Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone's Tripped Out Russian Interview

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; Kickstarter; Obsidian Entertainment

A Russian game designer named Anti Danilevski recently interviewed Chris Avellone for his blog. He has thoughtfully made the original English version of the interview available at Gamasutra. This is definitely one of MCA's stranger interviews, covering such topics as his religious beliefs, lifestyle and daily regimen, as well as the usual gamut of game industry, game design and Kickstarter-related questions. It's a must-read for all hardcore Avellone fans. Here's an excerpt:

Steve Jobs used LSD and made an iPhone. Do you think different psychotropic substances are truly extending or opening the mind, or is it just a beautiful theory that doesn’t help in creativity at all?

I don’t know. I mostly see the damage they cause. To explain – in the past, I’ve seen frequent cannabis users be unable to focus or worse, drift down very long irrelevant tangents even when not using, and it bleeds into critiques, design, and more. At the same time, so I don’t come across as a hypocrite here, I frequently consume tons of caffeine to motivate myself, which often does the same thing, so... yeah.

I use a number of different methods for creativity that don’t involve substances, if you’re interested. They are:
  • Working out with a writing pad nearby. Once the endorphins hit, it can help with brainstorming.
  • Going to see some other art form – an art gallery, a theater production, or even reading a magazine or book outside your comfort zone to spark your imagination.
  • Go read interesting history. Or any history. I got this one from an old colleague of mine, Scott Bennie, because frankly, there’s so much crazy shit that’s happened in the real world, you don’t need sci-fi to make interesting quest seeds and NPC personalities.
  • Going to a boring lecture with a sketchpad. This caused me to design almost all my dungeons and adventures when I was in college - some of my classes were so dull, my sketchbook and my imagination were my only escape.
There’s more, but that’s a few bits to throw out there.

Double usefulness from the education. Not bad! And when you make games, do you think about those three questions that I've asked above? Do you feel that we are responsible for what we are doing now, for what we deliver to our players?

I think about death, and about personality themes and how the player might be challenged to think about them. For example, Planescape: Torment is very much about regret and what can cause one’s behavior to change – and the game mechanics are designed to reinforce that with the alignment shifts based on your choices. More recently, Fallout: New Vegas explored letting go of one’s obsessions in order to grow (and begin again) in Dead Money in the companions, the narrative arc, and the player. In Old World Blues, it was nostalgia, the dangers of living in the past, and our responsibility to the present – most of the NPCs in Old World Blues never stop to consider how to apply what they’ve done to make the world a better place, nor do they care. The player is in a unique perspective to question this throughout the adventure.

We had a big discussion earlier – who IS a good game designer. How do you see it? Is it a rare thing, or anyone can be a game designer and no special talents is required? One more thing about good game designers: what the most important perks they should have? May those perks be trained somehow?

I combined these two questions because they have a lot of similarities.

So - there’s traits to being a game designer that don’t require formal training. And some that are. If I were to break down the natural elements:
  • The ability to want to entertain others before yourself. Designers recognize they are providing a service to their player, and they do what they can to make them feel good about playing the experience they’ve designed.
  • To step outside yourself and take note of what other people find fun. This ties into the point above, but the willingness to listen and watch to see what makes others happy, and then craft an experience based on that is important.
  • A willingness to do research in your own genre and love of your own genre of games – and a willingness to push the envelope in that space to see what else can be achieved.
  • This is very true of large teams, but the ability to communicate via text, via art, via a prototype, or in person why an idea is fun, inspire others, and sell them on an idea... and carry that energy into the design itself.
  • This is part of the trend above, but recognize the execution of an idea is important, not just the idea itself. If someone told me they had an idea for a man who dressed up like a bat and fights crime, that might sound pretty stupid at first... but it all depends on the execution. Give ideas a chance, don’t discount them at first mention, try and imagine how they could work.
  • Give critiques, not trash talk, there’s a huge difference. “Opening doors in your game sucks” vs. “I’m used to the A button being the action button in most games I’ve played, so the fact it’s assigned to the B button in your game to open doors is something that seemed counter-intuitive to me.”
  • Scope yourself. You can’t do everything you want with a game. Know when to hold back and know that the game can be much better for NOT including everything and the kitchen sink in the design.
There are more elements: the ability to critique and analyze designs, training yourself in other disciplines (environment art, animation, scripting, UI), playing your own work, constantly researching new tools, challenging your ideas with others... often, some of the best design ideas come out of debating and arguing those same ideas, and some of the worst ideas justifiably die the same way.
Not quoted - Chris' assertion that Dear Esther is a "non-game". Problem, indie hipsters? I was also amused by his little comment about Oblivion.

Name

Cipher
So MCA believes after death we are going to end up in a sci-fi movie by Scientologists instead of an open-world sandbox fantasy RPG?

Not quoted - Chris' assertion that Dear Esther is a "non-game". Problem, indie hipsters? I was also amused by his little comment about Oblivion.

Ironic of you to say that because developers of Dear Esther are part of a movement "not-a-movement" that literally call their games "non-games" (or "not-games") and even have a manifesto "not-a-manifesto".

http://notgames.org/blog/2010/03/19/not-a-manifesto

Last edited:

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Working out with a writing pad nearby. Once the endorphins hit, it can help with brainstorming.

That explains a lot. Yesterday and today I was half joking with the people in the gym that after I do a heavy workout set my IQ temporarily drops by at least 100 points and they confirmed it happened to them as well. Now I have an idea how Alpha Protocol came into existence.

Athelas

Arcane
Working out with a writing pad nearby. Once the endorphins hit, it can help with brainstorming.

That explains a lot. Yesterday and today I was half joking with the people in the gym that after I do a heavy workout set my IQ temporarily drops by at least 100 points and they confirmed it happened to them as well. Now I have an idea how Alpha Protocol came into existence.
What was wrong with Alpha Protocol's writing? That's assuming Avellone came up with the idea for the game and wrote it, which I'm not even sure about.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problems with Alpha Protocol are way too big to blame on one single man, and even so, it's unlikely that MCA was that man.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera

What was wrong with Alpha Protocol's writing? That's assuming Avellone came up with the idea for the game and wrote it, which I'm not even sure about.

There is nothing wrong with writing, but almost everything else from the dialogue system, character system, combat, level design and the minigames to the significance of the role of combat (in the context of it being abysmal as it was) in the game was horrible (I have already elaborated on all that in the original thread related to that game). Chris Avellone was the Lead Designer, so he bears a lot of responsibility for bad design.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Watched a Stephen King lecture a coupe of months ago. Someone asked him about carrying notepads around, in case inspiration strikes. He said, Congratulations, all you will have is a book full of bad ideas. He explained, good ideas will bug you for years, while bad ones are soon forgotten.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I wouldn't know as I don't play his games. lol

Just thought I'd mention SK's advice, because his idea was so simple and it made a lot of sense to me.

Athelas

Arcane

There is nothing wrong with writing, but almost everything else from the dialogue system, character system, combat, level design and the minigames to the significance of the role of combat (in the context of it being abysmal as it was) in the game was horrible (I have already elaborated on all that in the original thread related to that game). Chris Avellone was the Lead Designer, so he bears a lot of responsibility for bad design.
I think you're confusing Lead Designer with Project Director, it's the latter that oversees a project (i.e. Josh Sawyer was project director on New Vegas).

EDIT: Found an interview that goes into more detail: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/n...ris-avellone-game-designer-fallout-new-vegas/
It was a concept developed by our CEO, Feargus Urquhart and our tech director, Chris Jones. They proposed an espionage-style Jason Bourne RPG where you could play as a spy. SEGA wanted an RPG for their line-up and to build a franchise around, so they signed it up and put it on the roster. From that point on, it entered production. It didn’t have a Project Lead or a Lead Designer for a chunk of its early inception and production, and then at the two year mark, Chris Parker became Project Director and I volunteered to become Lead Designer on it in the absence of a Lead Designer. SEGA also participated in the design (not so much the narrative) and they also dictated the marketing and release schedule for the title as well.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wouldn't know as I don't play his games. lol

Just thought I'd mention SK's advice, because his idea was so simple and it made a lot of sense to me.
I don't know. It's not guaranteed that a person will remember their good ideas.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I think you're confusing Lead Designer with Project Director, it's the latter that oversees a project (i.e. Josh Sawyer was project director on New Vegas).

Are you saying that lead designer does not have an effect on design decisions?
You might want to read the above interview quote.

You should overthink what you wrote. He's right. Regarding Design (and that INCLUDES system, area and otherwise design) Avellone had the main oversight. The Project Director "mainly" oversees the entire project including production and so on.

Josh Sawyer was also Lead Designer on New Vegas by the way. Lead System Designer as well so he pretty much oversaw himself.

That aside, Avellone has NEVER been known for great system design.

So why the FUCK are you even discussing this?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Also AP suffered from lots of things and what we saw in the game was for a large part repurposed material from a previous iteration. So, it probably would have been shit anyways at the point Avellone and Parker came in.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Re:AP, Avellone wrote the majority of the words in AP himself starting in 2008 (they stopped working on it late-2009), and it would have been better had Brian Mitsoda not wasted their time with two bad iterations (it went into development early 2006).

That said, at least two different former Obsidian employees say the finished product is streets ahead of Mitsoda's efforts.

Gameplay stuff wasn't his thing to handle, that's all on a bunch of other people, including Sega.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I don't know. It's not guaranteed that a person will remember their good ideas.

Something I've noticed about successful artists, they all have a different process, like superstitious athletes and soldiers have their lucky charms and rituals. In the case of SK, he's such a creative power house, he probably doesn't worry about that kind of thing.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Re:AP, Avellone wrote the majority of the words in AP himself starting in 2008 (they stopped working on it late-2009), and it would have been better had Brian Mitsoda not wasted their time with two bad iterations (it went into development early 2006).

That said, at least two different former Obsidian employees say the finished product is streets ahead of Mitsoda's efforts.

When did they decide to change AP from a serious spy thriller to a comedy? Makes me wonder if Mitsoda doesn't do funny.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Avellone said:
Give critiques, not trash talk, there’s a huge difference.
Seems sort of relevant here on the Codex as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom