Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ ---

Do you think there should be an option for turning InGame Jokes on/off?

• Yes.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • No.

Votes: 35 76.1%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It was mentioned a few posts ago.

Then again we got the Crazy Wasteland of whatever the fuck it was ; a trait for FO:NV that enables "funny" references and wacky shit. You prefer your game world to be serious and believable? Dont pick that.

Thing is that WW just removed a few select jokes/references. Which shows the problem with the "toggle" proposed by OP: how do you define which jokes should stay regardless of the selected option? What is "appropriate for the setting"? The developers sit on a table to throw the "inappropriate" jokes into a pile and the lore-ok jokes into the other? I can't think of a more lifeless way to tackle humour in a game.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
An overload of not all that good in-game jokes kind of ruined FO2 for me. There is a little here and there, but they went a little overboard in that game. Of course, I never saw a lot of the in-game jokes in FO1, having used Luck as a dump stat until I read more on the game. The jokes in FO1 were fresh (the descriptions of kangaroo bones, and the like.) However, I think FO2 the humor may have distracted a little too much from the the story. That didn't stop me from playing the game 5x, just that it seemed the jokes pulled at the fabric of the story more than in FO1.

Stompa

Arcane
Other than the quite rare two encounters of Arthur and the search for Holy Hand Grenade i dont think Fallout 2 crack in-jokes that often.

You sure? 'Cause I'm replaying it at the moment and constantly tripping on some shit like Cassidy referencing Preacher, Tragic the Gathering cards and some nerd ghoul liking them, robot in Clamath quoting Terminator, talking molerat named Brain, etc., etc.

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont know, you watch too much of that shit? You remind me of Sinophiles I know. They can quote Chinese historical events and names right back at me for any texts they lay eyes on. ANd they are not even chinese.

PLay more, read more, and wider, goddamnit!

EDIT: it's not to disparage you or them. Cause I used to be a mild case of Sinophile, then a mild case of Nihonphile. Now that I play more western games and read more us novels, I get a mild case of Kwanophile. Horrible affliction, I know.

oscar

Arcane
Real world pop culture references are virtually never funny. Lowest common denominator Family Guy humour.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I liked the rant, but I am fine with playing the game as the developer intended(tm).

Although I still get the shivers thinking about that Star Trek shuttle in Fallout 2.

zwanzig_zwoelf

There were some jokes and references in Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, but they didn't destroy the overall atmosphere. In fact, they kinda added to it.
For example, prisoners discussing Sigmund Freud, or Riddick makes some jokes about
Jones sucking Abbot's cock.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I love Monty Python jokes and all kinds of external/pop culture puns and references. It's a great 1980s tradition. Bring on the terrible puns, I say!

I also generally dislike video games that take themselves too seriously.

Severian Silk

I liked the jokes in F01 well enough. The crashed whale, tardis, Seinfeld parody, etc.. I agree that FO2 "tried too hard" (in general IMO).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Other than the quite rare two encounters of Arthur and the search for Holy Hand Grenade i dont think Fallout 2 crack in-jokes that often.

Bitch you crazy.

I was gonna say something similar, but loclongquan at least stated his case: He doesn't know western pop culture that well.

Fallout 2 was released 15 years ago, and over 400 (pop) culture references have been found in it. (The internet likes to call them "shout-outs" nowadays.) That's a huge number that makes other joke-heavy games like Duke Nukem 3D, Blood and Serious Sam pale in comparison. Fallout 1 had its share, but there they at least tried to make them fit in with the setting, with only the South Park reference being out of line by most accounts.

In fact, I've been keeping an eye on games that are heavy on the humour to see if any of them could ever beat Fallout 2. I'm going to say that it took Dungeons of Dredmor to finally accomplish that.

(When DOES the first Fallout 2 "shout-out" occur, anyway? You're hit with a slew of them in Klamath, but are there any in Arroyo? Can't remember.)

Severian Silk said:
I liked the jokes in F01 well enough. The crashed whale, tardis, Seinfeld parody, etc.. I agree that FO2 "tried too hard" (in general IMO).

While I don't remember a Seinfeld joke in either Fallout game, the crashed whale was in Fallout 2.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Jokes work well with good writing, they become obnoxious when shitty writers use them to try to cover their bad writing...

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Voted Yes the more victimization and powah to player the better; although its bad game which takes herself too seriously and F02 gained by not being all grim-dark all the time.

and what comrade Mondblut have said. :bro:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Do you think there should be an option for turning InGame Jokes on/off?

-Yes !

...but only if there's also an option for turning all in game seriousness on/off.

92.gif

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
God damnit. I hate in game jokes, especially when I'm fucking playing a medieval adventure and all I want is to be totally immersed into the lore and shit when suddenly a shitty joke about Olympics or golf hits me in the nuts and wakes me up from my sweet reverie. I mean what the fuck writers? You think you are witty and smart and that those little jokes flying around the office will fit just fine into a game I AM PLAYING? No you stupid fucks, no, for fucks sake NO!
I mean, I can taste a little subtle joke about modern days as long as it's subtler than a pixie's fart, but when you are doing an adventure/rpg game CLEARLY set in FANTASY lore/times and NOT A PARODY GAME OF SORTS like one adventure I played some time ago with a wizard in a tower who watched Super Bowl (which I don't get because I'm a sophisticated european) then you DON'T MAKE JOKES about anything related to modern times.
Sure, name characters after developers, I don't mind. Put a little story here and there that has context for you and your people and maybe later in an interview tell us all about it, but DON'T SPOIL MY GAME WITH YOUR SHITTY JOKES!

Yes Heroine's Quest, I am talking about you.
Mumblemore, really? Harry Potter references? Asking witches/seers about who will win the 2014 Olympics? Talking about golf in the forest? And I'm just somewhere at the beggining of the game. Who knows how many more await the unwary gamer!

I wish there was an option in a game where you could disable those modern world references. I think the only purpose of these little jokes make devs feel like there are connected to the game and they feel so sure about the quality of their game that a little reference here and there won't ruin the experience of the game. That and they get to brag to others.

I think one of the Gothics had something like a sign on a hill where there was a list of devs, but I'm not sure. Anyway, that shit works because the ratio of modern reference to game lore is like 0.001 to 100.

Spill your beans about the subject.

sup Drog

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
I dont know, you watch too much of that shit? You remind me of Sinophiles I know. They can quote Chinese historical events and names right back at me for any texts they lay eyes on. ANd they are not even chinese.

PLay more, read more, and wider, goddamnit!

EDIT: it's not to disparage you or them. Cause I used to be a mild case of Sinophile, then a mild case of Nihonphile. Now that I play more western games and read more us novels, I get a mild case of Kwanophile. Horrible affliction, I know.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2_cultural_references

There is thin line between not being knowledgeable about a subject and being dense and you, my friend seem closer to second one.

Depends on the tone the game sets. Though for one thing, I have nothing against referencing a movie or what have you if it is actually relevant to the situation. I don't understand those who think otherwise. And people in Real Life make cheesy and dumb quips all the time, so those are fine so long as you aren't overtly trying to shove jokes in.

Fallout was a tongue in cheek game from the beginning. Getting butthurt over FO2 is hilarious to me.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like it when the game reminds you that you're still playing a game. Indie devs are good at this while big devs hide this as easter eggs and go full retard with imersiveness.

Murk

Arcane
Best part of Baldur's Gate was finding Peter North.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

There is thin line between not being knowledgeable about a subject and being dense and you, my friend seem closer to second one.

*skims through wiki entry*

It's missing quite a few things, like the Vice President being a spoof of Dan Quayle, the appearance of Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, that the Enclave expedition to the Military Base was named Captain Pickhard and that Laddie the dog is Lassie, to name but a few. The only one I had not heard of before was the John Wayne reference in Earl Marion.

This list is better.

laclongquan

Arcane

*skims through wiki entry*

It's missing quite a few things, like the Vice President being a spoof of Dan Quayle, the appearance of Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, that the Enclave expedition to the Military Base was named Captain Pickhard and that Laddie the dog is Lassie, to name but a few. The only one I had not heard of before was the John Wayne reference in Earl Marion.

This list is better.

I am impressed that the game writers had that much time to reference these shits.

I am especially impressed that fans seem to catch them all...

I am slightly impressed that I can get 10% of them. Mang, talk about obscure shits nerds speak to each other~

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom