Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

stabby

Learned
Do pardon the itty bitty bumping of this thread, but stabby's a damn cheapskate and has a couple of bucks to spare for some turn-based goodies (okay, I'm kind of being hopeful on the 'good' part of that.)

At the moment I'm seeing that Eador: Genesis & Disciples II are on the cheap, but I am completely unaware of both series in general so I'm unsure which one to pick up. As much as I would like to avoid ending this with a 'Which is better and why?' sort of comment, one really can't resist veering away from the classics... so, thoughts?

Cadmus

Arcane
Do pardon the itty bitty bumping of this thread, but stabby's a damn cheapskate and has a couple of bucks to spare for some turn-based goodies (okay, I'm kind of being hopeful on the 'good' part of that.)

At the moment I'm seeing that Eador: Genesis & Disciples II are on the cheap, but I am completely unaware of both series in general so I'm unsure which one to pick up. As much as I would like to avoid ending this with a 'Which is better and why?' sort of comment, one really can't resist veering away from the classics... so, thoughts?

Disciples II is in my opinion the best looking game of all time. Beautiful art and art direction, moody music and the presentation is just top notch. The gameplay is shallow which works because the game doesn't get tedious as fast as the similar titles. It's not strategically or tactically demanding, you can turn off your brain while playing it and just enjoy the atmosphere. The campaigns will last tens of hours so in any case you'll get your money's worth. I'm a fan so...

No idea what Eador is.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What does the Codex think about Divine Divinity, Divinity II and Beyond Divinity?
First one is cool, might get really repetitive in some parts and the combat isn't great (Diablo like but worse), still, decent game because of some really creative NPC and ambient interactions. Think on it as a rudimentary prototype for DoS. Very playable.

Div Div 2, it is more actiony than DivDiv 1, Larian just abused their sheer creativity with this game. At first, you can be put off by the spiked shoulder pauldrons and generic fantasy look but play at least past the first village and you will have hours of fun. Unless you have zero tolerance to the combat system that is a bit floaty and kinda simplistic.

Beyond Divinity, KILL WITH FIRE. You have two protagonists, a dark knight bound to the soul of a human, and the edgy interactions between them are kinda cool, the problem is that the rest of the game isn't.

Cadmus

Arcane
What does the Codex think about Divine Divinity, Divinity II and Beyond Divinity?
First one is cool, might get really repetitive in some parts and the combat isn't great (Diablo like but worse), still, decent game because of some really creative NPC and ambient interactions. Think on it as a rudimentary prototype for DoS. Very playable.

Div Div 2, it is more actiony than DivDiv 1, Larian just abused their sheer creativity with this game. At first, you can be put off by the spiked shoulder pauldrons and generic fantasy look but play at least past the first village and you will have hours of fun. Unless you have zero tolerance to the combat system that is a bit floaty and kinda simplistic.

Beyond Divinity, KILL WITH FIRE. You have two protagonists, a dark knight bound to the soul of a human, and the edgy interactions between them are kinda cool, the problem is that the rest of the game isn't.

Divinity 2 runs on Gamebryo and for some reason they've done something with it that Bethesda couldn't over the course of 5 games and it looks and feels great. It may confuse you how it seems like some generic fantasy at the beginning as DeepOcean said but it's creative, funny and fun. Especially the expansion is awesome, bursting with quests and tight as it's set in one city only (I just realized - maybe a comparison to DA2 is in order? Because DA2 is like 2 year old playing with his dick trying to make it look like an RPG compared to Divinity 2 in city setting)

DraQ

Arcane
Do pardon the itty bitty bumping of this thread
Actually, I think it should be stickied.

Divinity 2 runs on Gamebryo and for some reason they've done something with it that Bethesda couldn't over the course of 5 games and it looks and feels great.
Yes, it's called putting actual effort in shit you do.

Although Skyrim doesn't look bad, to be fair.
Dated, maybe, but it runs on a 2006 brick so it's hard to expect miracles.

It may confuse you how it seems like some generic fantasy at the beginning as DeepOcean said but it's creative, funny and fun. Especially the expansion is awesome, bursting with quests and tight as it's set in one city only (I just realized - maybe a comparison to DA2 is in order? Because DA2 is like 2 year old playing with his dick trying to make it look like an RPG compared to Divinity 2 in city setting)
Div2 is not simply generic fantasy, it's Larian hopping on generic fantasy's back, stuffing some lit thermite up its ass and riding it around till it dropped.

In other words, yes, it is high fantasy - high as in "on drugs".

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What does the Codex think about Enclave?
Cool game, may irritate with wooden animations and some ideas but otherwise it's worth to play. Propably some legacy of old PS2/PSx era of TPP games. Got various classes (but some of them are unlocked after beating the game). Good for shooting, slashing and looting.

What does the Codex think about Gorky 17?
Good game to start into tactical games. Have some elements of adventure (finding stuff and using them on objects, some puzzles). Story is decent, characters believable. And same as System Shock 2 - try to save ammo at the begining.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Div2 is not that good. Didn't even get past the first major area -- the engine and combat are fucking atrocious. The writing is fine but if you have bad combat in an arpg there's no saving it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Div2 is not that good. Didn't even get past the first major area -- the engine and combat are fucking atrocious. The writing is fine but if you have bad combat in an arpg there's no saving it.

Yeah, I hated the combat too. I played the original version though, I don't know if they improved it later.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What do you guys think about Rune?
Let the screenshots not fool you, this is more of a platformer than an action game. Most of the time you are jumping around (like in Croc), and figting only comes as a second thing. It has a great atmosphere though.

stabby

Learned
Alright, guess I'll take a look at Disciples then, follow up question though: is the Rise of the Elves a 'complete' version as the description seems to hint at, or is it just a standalone expansion that works alongside Gallean's Return?

Cadmus Markman

Edit: Actually, nevermind that. Looking into it a little more it seems the el cheapo versions on Steam (and willing to be the ones on special at Gamersgate as well) seem to have been released as is without regards to compatibility on modern systems. I don't mind tweaking with these sort of things, but it does wear on one's nerves having to do that each time you want to install. Will wait for GOG sale, until then I'll cross my fingers and nab Eador.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
Alright, guess I'll take a look at Disciples then, follow up question though: is the Rise of the Elves a 'complete' version as the description seems to hint at, or is it just a standalone expansion that works alongside Gallean's Return?

Cadmus Markman
Meh I can't remember for certain but I THINK it's the complete game + expansion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Shit multiplayer only game that'll be bundle fodder soon enough.

catfood

AGAIN
What do you guys think about Rune?
Let the screenshots not fool you, this is more of a platformer than an action game. Most of the time you are jumping around (like in Croc), and figting only comes as a second thing. It has a great atmosphere though.
It also has a kick ass multiplayer. Decapitating your friends or turning them into stone and crushing them never gets old.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Neither does dismembering limbs and picking them up and throwing them at people.

Wasteland 2
Anyone played Incoming / Incoming Forces ? Looks like Freespace but over a surface of planets. Much worse than Freespace ? Can't decide if I should add it to my account, or dump in the beg thread.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Anyone played Incoming / Incoming Forces ? Looks like Freespace but over a surface of planets. Much worse than Freespace ? Can't decide if I should add it to my account, or dump in the beg thread.

It's not similiar to Freespace. I played Incoming fifteen years ago and it was some kind of tower defence, maybe even there was flying but nothing spectacular and capable for fresh game maniac like me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom