Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date
Wasteland 2
It's not similiar to Freespace. I played Incoming fifteen years ago and it was some kind of tower defence, maybe even there was flying but nothing spectacular and capable for fresh game maniac like me.

Thank you for assistance, I am sure Konjad will be happy to add it to his account bloat.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone played Incoming / Incoming Forces ? Looks like Freespace but over a surface of planets. Much worse than Freespace ? Can't decide if I should add it to my account, or dump in the beg thread.

It's not similiar to Freespace. I played Incoming fifteen years ago and it was some kind of tower defence, maybe even there was flying but nothing spectacular and capable for fresh game maniac like me.

Not remotely similar to Freespace. More like the first first-person shoot-em-up in THREE DEE or at least the first to gain mainstream popularity, it was a big marketing tool of the Voodoo or Voodoo2 graphics cards (I can't remember which). The one where you needed a separate 2D card plugged into the Voodoo to achieve some weird Frankencard configuration. Back when it was 3DFX 4 lyfe, yo.

Anyways, the game was nothing special. Basically Descent but 3D accelerated and a shitload more things shooting at you, like R-type in 3D.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What's the konsensus on Space Trader: Merchant Marine?
Is the decent B class game, not much bugfest and good for what it is i.e. running-gunning-merchanting?
Or it's shit from the Hydrophobia: Prophercy level - bland and no sight of fun?

Cazzeris

Good for a fiver. There's a demo on Steam.
What does the Codex think about Shadow Warrior 2013?

Good number of people liked it. It's far from brilliant but it has fun, fast combat and some decent nods to older shooters.

Thanks, I'll give a try to that demo.

What does the Codex think about Shadow Warrior 2013?

Terrible, avoid at all costs.

Can you tell me why?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Can you tell me why?

Well, it is an abomination both compared to the original Shadow Warrior, and when judged as a standalone game.

Compared to the original SW, it lacks pretty much all of its qualities - the sprawling build engine levels, the multitude of cool and different guns, the difficulty, the ridiculously hilarious offensive humour and the one and only Lo Wang (because the one in nu-SW is nothing more than a pathetic lookalike).

Standalone it's also pretty damn bad. The game's attempts at humour fall completely flat, levels are nothing more than corridors, the guns are TERRIBAD, enemy variety is non-existent. It's simply an overall poor game, and people saying it's a nod to older shooters are taking out of their asses, there's absolutely nothing in it that could count as a throwback of any sort.

Cadmus

Arcane
I dunno..I watched that imbecile TotalBiscuit play the game and the guns indeed seemed fucking weak, without any punch and at the same time that idiot was praising them. However, it looked like Painkiller's retarded little brother and made me want to try it out for a while at least.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The SMGs are bad, some of the other guns are fine. The sword is what you should be using 9 times out of 10 anyway. I would go so far as to call it a first-person melee game. Also the levels aren't corridors. They're not as large and open as a classic build engine game by any means, but they're far from a straight line like a Call of Duty game. Somewhere in the middle.

If you want it to be the original Shadow Warrior with better graphics you're gonna hate it. Take it for what it is and it's a fun little game. Nothing special, but fun.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
GamersGate has a Rockstar bundle sale going on. Is Max Payne 3 worth playing? How's the multiplayer?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
GamersGate has a Rockstar bundle sale going on. Is Max Payne 3 worth playing? How's the multiplayer?

Similar to Shadow Warrior reaction in the thread was half and half. It's a bad sequel because the tone is nowhere near the same, but the shooting is really good in my opinion, and the graphics are extremely good. You never have to use the cover mechanic either, it's in there for analog aiming I guess, I dunno.

TripJack

Hedonist
whats the consensus on earth 2150 and 2160? which one is more worth the buck that they currently cost on steam? or are they both shit

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
whats the consensus on earth 2150 and 2160? which one is more worth the buck that they currently cost on steam? or are they both shit
2150 is great: you have three factions that play very differently, customizable units, an interesting plot, a world that turns from snow-covered landscapes to desert/lava as the Earth approaches the Sun. Also, you have to keep units supplied with ammunition and have to race against the clock to gather enough resources in order to escape Earth. Another interesting mechanic is digging tunnel networks.

Haven't played 2160 yet even though I bought it a year ago. I think that it's basically Earth 2150 IN SPACE.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
2160 is like 2150, but better in every way yet somehow less fun.

IN SPAACE!

2160 is technically superior.
2150 is the better game.

2150 is one of the RTS greats (though not that well known). I'd rank it up there with Total Annihilation and Dark Reign.

Plus, it has the best purpose made song of any game up to that point. This was before Half-Life, Civ 4's Baba Yethu, Portal or any of that jazz.

http://youtu.be/ZHEb7Mz2oMU

Last edited:

Great game, I think its one of the best RTS around, even if its a bit niche.
Some of the good stuff:
- 3 different factions (I'm more of a Eurasian Dinasty dude through, all are fun)
- A campaign with a persistent base (your main base), persistant troops (yes you can load your surviving troops for the next mission), and many maps, through which you have to fullfill your objectives in order to win in time. I like the fact losing many missions ins't total doom, but instead sends you to other missions, some of them insanely hard. Campaign can change depending on some stuff, too.
- Nice combat
- Supplies and logistics
- Unit designer!
- Unit experience rankings, so keeping a elite cadre of troops through missions and recycling can give you a quite good army.

If you like it, give Warzone 2100 a spin, its from around the same time and has similar mechanics.

Cadmus

Arcane

Worth playing it is for sure. Whether you think it's decent or great depends.. I enjoyed it very much, some people hate the overused cinematics, some hate the tone. The shooting is as good as ever and it's difficulty. And pretty.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Some new shooter that claims it is "old school" on Steam called Dark Raid. Someone pirate the fucking thing and tell me if it's worthwhile, since the developers couldn't seem to manage any press attention what-so-ever.

Astral Rag

Arcane

- The Real FPS Action : Mixing good old-school FPS game styles with new generation graphics and game-play, in this game you will find the old-school FPS Action that you missed.
- Enemies with different levels of intelligence and fighting skills.
- Old-School Boss Fights
- Fast paced game-play

dsqfqsdfqdouro.png

:lol:

dqf7rjhh.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom