Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

90's VR

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So who of you nerds got to try this back in the 90s?

Manged to play it once on a festival with my brother. Instructions were unclear, and I couldn't get down from the stairs. That is the extent of my VR experience.

I can think of nothing more terrifying than voluntarily entering the Arcane Sanctuary outside of Diablo II.

The first time I ever tried a VR game was at Disney Quest in Orlando, FL. before it closed down. They had this really kickass futureal motorcycle lightsaber game.

DakaSha

Arcane
As i said before the other thread got deleted: There was super tiny pub in germany that actually had a setup of Nightmare. I thought it sucked then and it sucks now

(But obviously the novelty was still banging)

Falksi

Arcane

Manged to play it once on a festival with my brother. Instructions were unclear, and I couldn't get down from the stairs. That is the extent of my VR experience.

Played it 3 times in Medowhall's arcades.

First time I thought it was amazing. Just so surreal, and it really sucked me in to that other world and made me forget about where I actually was in reality. I came away buzzing and couldn't wait to play it again.

Second time round though the wow-factor had worn off and I was just concentrating on gameplay, and was well underwhelmed and disappointed. I grew very bored and wanted to get back to proper gaming.

Final time I played it just for a laugh to see if my opinion had changed, and it hadn't. It was just gimmicky bollocks.

tritosine2k

Erudite

That's not only not 90's it's alive and kicking you can find the guys page with some commentary on current state of "wearables".
You could get pretty close to that setup in early 2010's with 8x MSAA before deferred rendering ruined everything.

Played it 3 times in Medowhall's arcades.

First time I thought it was amazing. Just so surreal, and it really sucked me in to that other world and made me forget about where I actually was in reality. I came away buzzing and couldn't wait to play it again.

Second time round though the wow-factor had worn off and I was just concentrating on gameplay, and was well underwhelmed and disappointed. I grew very bored and wanted to get back to proper gaming.

Final time I played it just for a laugh to see if my opinion had changed, and it hadn't. It was just gimmicky bollocks.

Exactly the problem with VR. Its a one trick pony. A 2.5D cinema film. Smell-o-vision. A fairground ride.

My first experience of VR was back in 2007, it was disappointing, although I don't know what I was expecting.
Then again in 2014, I tried a demo of Oculus 1 at work, and I thought it was shit but was still a little curious about the possibilities.
Then again in 2016 with the PSVR, I actually brought one off the back of hype but after 20 minutes the novelty wore off and I thought it was shit, especially as it made me really sick. I sold it a week later.
Then we got a vive for work in 2017 and it wasn't bad I played a few hours, but after the initial novelty wears off it gets very tiresome and you just want to play a proper game with a monitor.
Now in 2022, I have the latest headset Varjo XR 3 which I had to use for work purposes. I hate every minute of having to use "VR".
To say I hate VR is an understatement. I think it has its place as a fairground/arcade quirky entertainment piece, but its not the future and never will be - Thank God.

To say I hate VR is an understatement. I think it has its place as a fairground/arcade quirky entertainment piece, but its not the future and never will be - Thank God.

The real thing that sucks dick about VR is the ever present doofy headgear. This is what kills it for so many people and the fact that these companies haven't taken a hint and abandoned that shit yet to pursue the good part of VR (motiontracking/controls) is baffling. I would love to be able to play martial combat games like Blade and Sorcery sans the headache-inducing, nauseating, claustrophobic, sweaty, overpriced head parasite and without accidentally bludgeoning my monitor off the desk. The Wii was the way forward for these type of games, VR was a regression.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer

I played this when Virtuality came to Adelaide in the early 90s. It had 2 games Dactyl Nightmare and Grid Busters. I recall you could communicate with the other players via microphone.
The whole thing felt like you were wearing a bunch of cheap 90s foam on your head, it was heavy which made looking up difficult, granted I was like 8 at the time. (so 1994)
I didn't enjoy Dactyl nightmare I felt vertigo when the thing picked you up to be quite frightening and looking straight down into the black void was scary. In general its a pretty terrible game, the reload time on the gun ruined it.
Grid Busters was a lot of fun though, it was similar to Mechwarrior where you had jump jets and could fly around shooting at each other. As someone who had just gotten the Mechwarrior 2 demo, suffice to say I was blown away.
12498_2.png

https://www.arcade-history.com/?n=grid-busters&page=detail&id=12498

Mortmal

Arcane
Funny thing is its in fact an amiga game, i still dont have any sword and sorcery coop game in VR except karnage chronicles and it isnt so good.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
There was a place somewhat near by in the mid 90's that had a kind of VR simulation where you are in cars and raced futuristic vehicles in a game. The whole cockpit would shake and rumble and you would kind of shoot other players while you raced. I'm pretty sure you had to wear VR headsets because it was extremely disorienting. To think of it now it's actually pretty amazing that they had a place like that even though it didn't last very long maybe only a couple years. Felt kind of like an expensive arcade.

SexExitium

Augur
I "played" the first game in the video with my dad; I don't think either of us really knew how to play it. Still, that checkerboard floor is forever etched into my mind. A nice childhood flashback, thanks!

Re: smell-o-vision, I liked that scratch and smell card that came with Larry 7, very 4D. I don't understand why this hasn't been utilized more.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom