Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Neocore; The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II

Neocore's Diablo-like ARPG The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II has been released today.

It all seemed so simple: defeat the mad scientist, free the land and ride into the sunset, but sometimes the fall of a villain only opens the way to more sinister foes. So the incredible adventures continue, and Van Helsing, the famous monster-hunter returns to save the day again with the help of his charming, ghostly companion, Lady Katarina. The gothic metropolis of weird science is on the brink of destruction as chaos rules the streets and a new enemy plots revenge. It’s time to enter the dark side of Borgova and the forbidden wilderness, but beware: you are not the only one behind a mask.

Main features
  • Three playable classes – In the sequel to this gothic-noir adventure, you can choose from three very different classes: the classic Hunter with shooting and melee skills, the magic-wielding Thaumaturge or the Arcane Mechanic, the master of deadly devices, all included in the base game.
  • Hunter’s Lair – The Lair returns in the sequel as your perfect hideout to stash collected loot, trade with non-playable characters, teleport between locations, forge new items, utilize the alchemy lab and accept new quests from allies who join the Resistance against the scientific scourge.
  • Extended Tower defense mini-game – With enemies invading in waves, you have the opportunity to defend your Lair and other strategic locations with deployable traps and several upgradable functions to ward off evil, now with improved gameplay mechanics and up to 7 levels presented as optional side quests.
  • Resistance Management – As the leader of the Borgovian Resistance, you will participate in the micromanagement of the allied troops, improve the equipment of the Resistance fighters or find loot that makes them more powerful.
  • Rage system – You can charge up to three skill modifiers called PowerUps on 8 active skills by way of spending Rage points collected from impressive feats.
  • Unique companion – Lady Katarina, a ghost with snappy wit, comes to the support of Van Helsing with her own set of abilities, behaviors, and two skill trees.
  • Runecrafting – Besides forging, enchanting and infusing items with essences, you’ll have another option to alter items to your liking. Artifacts can be taken apart, shattered into magical fragments to be turned into purely magical runes that can be altered and put on new items, changing them into various new powerful artifacts.
  • The Beast in the Lair - The Chimera is a unique creature, an artificial monster straight from the Ink. You can enhance its abilities and summon it into combat or send away to the Ink to hunt for treasure.
  • Hall of Trophies - You can decorate the Lair with trophies that give global modifiers to the game world, like empowering monsters, granting more spellpower to all allies or turning Katarina into a more lethal ghost.
  • Multiplayer – You and your friends can test your skills against each other via the PVP mode (8 players) or join forces and complete the story in the co-operative campaign (4 players).
It sounds like the tower defense element is more prominent this time around; dunno if that's such a good thing. You can buy the game here.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the first game was pretty fun for a hns without randomized maps.

Drowed

Arcane
It seems like it is, at this point, a buggy mess. If someone wants to try it, maybe it's better to wait for a few pathes.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played it for 3 hours yesterday, noticed some glitches but no crashing or anything gamebreaking. They changed shitload of things since I played the beta when they started a preorder for it, easier sidequests for sure.
Tower defense thing is optional I think, its there if you wanna play with it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Tried a demo or F2P weekend of the first. Didn't think much of it. Way too floaty like Titan Quest. Too many arpgs out now, anyway. Next one I'll buy is Grim Dawn and only when it's finished.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did like the first game (not really great, but solid).
At least until somewhere near the end the balancing just said "fuck you" with enemies that could one-shot (with extreme accuracy) my glass cannon build while they are outside of the screen.
I dropped dead, respawned, dropped dead, etc. like 5 times before I finally saw one of those mobs.
Sure, glass cannon builds are supposed to die fast if hit. But that was so ridiculous I just stopped playing.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Im playing on Hard with a glass cannon build and I died like 30 times already in 8 hours so far. There's a perk that lets you ressurect after 3 seconds of ghost form, invulnerability skill, insta heal, slow-mo, Rage buffs with skills like Slow or Freeze enemies and its still not enough. I mostly died during the "boss" fights and some nasty setup sections against freaking cannon tanks with off screen range that are backed with some kind of shield vehicle that shields em 3k hp when in close range. Lots of derpy jokes for far, most silly one was the "Saving private Bryan" quest, also met some kind of killer robot thinking my ghost was Sarah Connor.

kris

Arcane
Adventures? The trailer only showed someone shooting colors at big monsters with HP on anything from 4 digits to 6 digits. Looks like a more colorful diablo.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Its fun, bros. It gotta a nice flow to the slaughter, its not a gigantic game and you level up fairly fast before you start getting bored of it. Plus Van Helsing and Katarina the ghost are cool and I never felt they are nagging or boring. Best thing is to pick up the first game as a Complete Edition when its on sale, it got the best value overall, you get full game and 2 extra classess.
In short, is it worth playing? Fuck yes.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Even with such amount of bullshit it's still the only latest h'n's that didn't bored me to tears, like Torchfart2.
Would buy on -75% or 15 potatos in some local e-shop...

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
You still cant play it offline. Primary reason I didnt buy Diablo 3 was cause I got kicked out several times from my singleplayer game while playing the demo.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
thought the first one was charming for what it was, but yeah. I wasn't so invested in my numbers that I feel the need to get the zequel and continue to bigger them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom