Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Witcher gazings at IGN

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Witcher, The

Hot on the tail end of that German game conference thing, <A href="http://pc.ign.com">IGN</a> has posted <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/643/643615p1.html">a preview</a> of the genre redefining <a href="http://www.thewitcher.com/">The Witcher</a>. Here's a bit about the setting:
<br>
<blockquote>When you think of RPGs, a high fantasy setting is usually the backdrop that comes to mind. However, The Witcher doesn't take place in your typical fantasy setting. This is a dark world where Elves, Dwarves and Gnomes aren't cute little denizens of a happy world only plagued by horned baddies. The non-human races have become second-class, loathed citizens to the more populous humans in the world (a point hammered home at the German Games Convention as a latex model of a bloodied "Elvish Traitor" hanged outside the CDProjekt booth). There is no pure embodiment of evil that you must defeat, either. Instead, everything in the world is presented in shades of grey (as in the real world) and it's up to you to interact with the world as you see fit.</blockquote>
<br>
I dunno. I'd say there's some unquestionably evil people out there.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Trolls and Ogres. Why doesn't somebody make an RPG where you can choose to be a troll or an ogre or something?

obediah

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Trolls and Ogres. Why doesn't somebody make an RPG where you can choose to be a troll or an ogre or something?

no shit, think of the str bonus. and regen would rule.

Seriously, I can think of plenty of PnP with this, but as far as non-rogue like video games, a half-ogre type is about the closest I can remember.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
DarkUnderlord said:
There are plenty of roguelikes that allow it, and DS2 allows you to be a half-giant; but I know what you mean. It would be prety cool to be able to roleplay a Troll or Ogre with all the pros and cons that that implies.
i.e. valiant knights always wanting to pick on you; villagers tending to huddle in their cottages when all you want is some information; having to show your prowess at stealing cows and sheep in order to go up the ranks in the tribe; hiding under bridges and awaiting victims, etc etc.

Edit: and pros like br00tal stength and regen like obediah just pointed out. Kill dem pesky hoomins!!

Sandelfron

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:

Excellent selection of races/prestige classes for NWN which have become 'standard'
extensions to NWN persistent worlds.

http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/

Troll and Ogre are included in player races. They can wield a two-handed weapon in
one hand, and a tower shield in the other.. and regen fast.

Shevek

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:

Haha, you can always play Everquest.

Sandelfron

Scholar
Shevek said:
DarkUnderlord said:

Haha, you can always play Everquest.

everquest6nw.png

Thundor is a lvl 26 warrior, and plays 20 hours a day - breaking only
to order greasy snacks using EQ's online PizzaHut delivery service.

Gorath

Novice
I´ve also seen The Witcher at the GC. Very impressive game so far. The IGN preview is more or less correct.
One of the guys from CD Project said they´re aiming at an '18' rating. 'Teen' or so is not part of their considerations. The whole game doesn´t look like they´re making compromises. What I´ve seen was consequent, well thought out and consistent.

Drakron

Arcane
Plus 18+ means nothing these days unless it have sex, then its labeled as AO in the US.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Naked_Lunch said:
I like what I see. I'll be keeping an eye on this game. I've been dying for a new action RPG.

Don't worry that's all there will be from now until the end days.

dunduks

Liturgist
Too bad these are not bumpmapped nipples :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom