Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Electronic Arts E3 2015 Conference: Mass Effect: Andromeda officially announced, coming Holiday 2016

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BioWare; Electronic Arts; Mass Effect: Andromeda

We've known for quite a while now that a fourth Mass Effect game is in development over at BioWare Montreal, but tonight, at EA's E3 conference, they finally "officially" unveiled it. Behold the announcement trailer for Mass Effect: Andromeda:

EA's presenters weren't very interested in revealing more about the game, preferring to spend the rest of their allotted time on an endless procession of EA Sports titles, Plants vs Zombies and Star Wars, but there is an announcement post at BioWare's site with some more information:

Today we debuted the first cinematic trailer for our next game, Mass Effect™: Andromeda. While we are still many months away from the game’s release date in holiday 2016, we’re excited to show you a bit of where we’re at. First, though, some background on the game itself.

When we wrapped up the original Mass Effect trilogy with Mass Effect 3: Citadel in early 2013, planning and design on Mass Effect: Andromeda was already well underway. We knew we wanted to start with a foundation composed of the best parts of any Mass Effect game: exciting new worlds to discover, great characters, and intense action. At the same time, we clearly wanted to expand the definition of what you should expect from a Mass Effect game.

While we aren’t ready to go into too many details just yet, as you saw in the trailer and can tell by the name, this game is very much a new adventure, taking place far away from and long after the events of the original trilogy. You will play a human, male or female, though that’s actually not the character you saw in the trailer (more on that later). You’ll be exploring an all-new galaxy, Andromeda, and piloting the new and improved Mako you saw. And through it all, you will have a new team of adventurers to work with, learn from, fight alongside of, and fall in love with.

We built this trailer in Frostbite™, our game engine, and it represents our visual target for the final game. We are thrilled by what we’ve already been able to achieve in bringing Mass Effect to Frostbite and by putting our entire focus on PC and current gen consoles. With the time remaining in development, we’re excited about the possibility to push things even more.

Thank you again for all of the support you keep showing us, and we’re looking forward to sharing more details with you near the end of the year. Until then, the teams in our Montreal, Edmonton, and Austin studios will be hard at work creating an entirely new adventure for you to lose yourselves in.
Looks like it's trying to be different. Impress us, Ian.

Seerix

Arbiter
Warp effects stolen from Elite, lol.

Retard with the same holo knife fist as in ME3.

And they had to go all the way to fucking Andromeda Galaxy* for a new story? Then again, vastness of space and amounts of objects in even tiny galaxy is usually completely lost on those retards and their fans.

*let's not even bother to deal with how exactly is that possible if AFAIK even using Mass Relays took a while to get from one star system to another, and now they're gonna hop a galaxy, lol.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What was the news on Plants vs. Zombies? Sadly I think it's all Origin exclusive now.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I did not even think of it before: EA has the Star Wars license and they are still pushing this shit out?

We will see if the RGB fiasco still affects sales, that will be about the only interesting thing about this.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The ME3 ending was just fine. What was ruined was all the area design, because they now had to add multi-player. And the levels were terrible.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The ME3 ending was just fine. What was ruined was all the area design, because they now had to add multi-player. And the levels were terrible.

/plays ME3

/bemoans Bethesda's impact on the downfall of 'RPGs.'

Stinger

Arcane
Impress us Ian?

As in Ian Frazier of Ultima Lazarus?

Should that be a reason to be remotely interested in this?

Septaryeth

Augur

An alright ending based on a shitty premise.
Honestly, some people should have seen it coming when your protagonist and everyone in the galaxy turned stupid and bet all their survival on an unknown ancient technology.
Then they tried to cover it up with an ass pulled philosophical argument in the last 10 minutes of a trilogy that requires the same amount of thinking for a summer blockbuster.

I doubt the whole writers' creativity fiasco will influence the sale.
DAI restored a lot of these people's faith. More alien waifu incoming.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
At the end of Mass Effect 3, a ghost kid appears and tells you that because organic life always makes synthetics that destroy them, he decided to make synthetics that would destroy organic life before they could make synthetics that would destroy themselves. How is that not fucking retarded?

Early_Grave

Barely Literate
Johnny Cash, frontierish atmosphere, space cowboys...reminds me much of Prey 2, albeit less cool. I doubt they'll manage to pull of something in the vein of Bebop, so this is almost certified to go full retard.

Cynicus

Augur
I hope that they're more ambitious than derivative popamole akshun space opera (now with 25.7% more husbandro & waifu!) this time. Oh, right. EA/Bioware. Nevermind.

eremita

Savant
At the end of Mass Effect 3, a ghost kid appears and tells you that because organic life always makes synthetics that destroy them, he decided to make synthetics that would destroy organic life before they could make synthetics that would destroy themselves. How is that not fucking retarded?
It's not retarded, it's actually very thoughtful in regards of how AI could work. These are the premises: A) Organic life always makes synthetics to destroy them - which basically means: advanced organic life always wipes itself out. You might argue that this is not an undeniable truth, but that's not how the ghost kid operates, he uses probability and statistics. He recoreded this event an immense number of times, thus it's plausible to assume that. B) (Advanced) Organic life is important and should be preserved - probably something imprinted in the kid by its creators. C) Organic life should be left to freely develop, it should be a natural process - again, probably something imprinted in the kid by its creators. Maybe reinterpretation of freedom and free will? - Or more likely: How to ensure a path to freedom and free will for advanced organics. Also, it's probably used so the kid has means for endless confirmation of premise (A). So let's consider A,B,C as your starting points. What are you going to do? By creating Non-organic life (so the problem of premise A is out) which would control the evolution? But that's a violation of (C). By wiping out the Organic life completely? That's a violation of (B). So you come up with this: You preserve organic (advanced) life (B), you let it develop freely (C) and you make sure it won't wipes itself out (A). Thus, you come up with cycles (which has interesting religious and philosophical aspects). It's perfect. And the fact that it's barbaric, that there's so much suffering at the end of each cycle? That's not how the AI operates. Besides, you're trying to maintain the organic life as a whole, individuals are unimportant. A solution with all thesis kept. Mission accomplished.

I was actually very pleasantly surprised by the ending, I really didn't expect something like that from a B-grade sci-fi flick... But I guess it's easier to torn things apart rather than trying to make them work.

P.S.: Thesis (A) is something in what a lot of modern biologists believe. They believe it to be a trait of everything organic. There's a balance in nature and as soon as some species gets an edge, it's gonna fuck shit up completely, it cannot helps itself (self preservation instinct paradoxically). This is something observed in world of microorganisms (improved bacteria in a petri dish devoured everything, then died) and macroorganisms as well (ants in South America). They say humans are no different (you might argue that we're more evolved, but some say that in the end, every motivation - even the ones giving us progress and culture, are just disguised basic instincts).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom