Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ A Call For Peace -- Zarniwoop doesn't really like this thread title

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Bring back VD.
VD was the original respectabledex shill. If he had his way, the Codex wouldn be another boring and serious site with heavy-handed mods.
Yep. VD was actually the one who wanted us to be Dev friendly. He wanted the Codex to become a Prestigious Magazine™.
Can't into balance?

Was it that unbearable when two Bethesda developers posted here? They came here to talk about design, knowing full well how the Codex felt about Bethesda games. Then some asshat said that he hated Bethesda games so much he wanted to sodomize the developer's wife with a dildo. That was the end of it, but hey, free speech, m i rite? I wanted to attract more developers which required not silencing the critics but the morons who thought that criticism meant attacking developers like a rabid dog. Oh well...

thesoup

Arcane
Bring back VD.
VD was the original respectabledex shill. If he had his way, the Codex wouldn be another boring and serious site with heavy-handed mods.
Yep. VD was actually the one who wanted us to be Dev friendly. He wanted the Codex to become a Prestigious Magazine™.
Can't into balance?

Was it that unbearable when two Bethesda developers posted here? They came here to talk about design, knowing full well how the Codex felt about Bethesda games. Then some asshat said that he hated Bethesda games so much he wanted to sodomize the developer's wife with a dildo. That was the end of it, but hey, free speech, m i rite? I wanted to attract more developers which required not silencing the critics but the morons who thought that criticism meant attacking developers like a rabid dog. Oh well...
And what would your reaction be if said asshat told some irrelevant poster the same outside gd?

Not Zed

Novice
While I do think that Bethesda games largely do suck donkey balls, although, truth be told, I've played the last one, like, 10 years ago, so who knows, perhaps they've become better in the meantime, I also absolutely agree with you that treating developers who came here to discuss design, or for any other reason, in such a lowly manner, is not what I'd consider acceptable behaviour, even on the internet in these sad days, and your attempts to enforce at least a bare minimum of courtesy (i.e. no rape threats and the like) are justified and well appreciated. I expected better from my new brethren here at RPG Codex, but then again, this was probably merely a case of a few bad apples, while the majority of the userbase here is mature and well-adjusted. Peace, my friend, and may the force be with you.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
And what would your reaction be if said asshat told some irrelevant poster the same outside gd?
I'm not sure what exactly you're asking here. In general, I believe that there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed but some people would disagree. Should we have double standards, treat developers one way and "irrelevant posters" another way? Probably. Not because the developers are awesome and deserve the nicest things but because most of them come (well, used to come) to talk about design not participate in shit-flinging contests. This distinction is easy to understand, no?

In other words, you can treat them as guests not retarded family members you can't get rid of. I mean, wouldn't it be nice if you could discuss design with Daniel Vavra or Swen Vincke or whoever's games are you following? Or some asshat's freedom to be, well, asshat is more important to you? For the record, it is quite possible to criticize design and even tear it apart without personal insults or death threats.

Space Insect

Arcane
While I do think that Bethesda games largely do suck donkey balls, although, truth be told, I've played the last one, like, 10 years ago, so who knows, perhaps they've become better in the meantime, I also absolutely agree with you that treating developers who came here to discuss design, or for any other reason, in such a lowly manner, is not what I'd consider acceptable behaviour, even on the internet in these sad days, and your attempts to enforce at least a bare minimum of courtesy (i.e. no rape threats and the like) are justified and well appreciated. I expected better from my new brethren here at RPG Codex, but then again, this was probably merely a case of a few bad apples, while the majority of the userbase here is mature and well-adjusted. Peace, my friend, and may the force be with you.
I do agree that there should be some limits, particularly in the range of threats and the like in the General CRPG forum and other of the more open forums. However, I don't think that that should affect the moderation of the politics forum and GD, partly because there is the one-year period before gaining access and because it is completely separate. Isn't that the point of having subforums? To separate things out in order to have more focused conversation?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In other words, you can treat them as guests not retarded family members you can't get rid of. I mean, wouldn't it be nice if you could discuss design with Daniel Vavra or Swen Vincke or whoever's games are you following? Or some asshat's freedom to be, well, asshat is more important to you? For the record, it is quite possible to criticize design and even tear it apart without personal insults or death threats.

DarkUnderlord please put VD as moderator for GRPG. We need sensible man over here. You can put the all the shit flinging contest to GD. Just makes GRPG great again.

thesoup

Arcane
grpgd was never great. At least it's better now with shit games having their own subforums for their subhuman following.

Kaivokz

Arcane
I'm not sure what exactly you're asking here. In general, I believe that there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed but some people would disagree. Should we have double standards, treat developers one way and "irrelevant posters" another way? Probably. Not because the developers are awesome and deserve the nicest things but because most of them come (well, used to come) to talk about design not participate in shit-flinging contests. This distinction is easy to understand, no?

This is a wholly reasonable post.

hello friend

Arcane
Can't into balance?

A much simpler solution would be to just post a handy link to ignoring the offending user. Let the developer choose for himself how safe his space.

Telengard

Arcane

This is a wholly reasonable post.
While eminently reasonable, we are talking about the South Park generation, who consider it their God-given right to make death and rape threats, if they want to. (Of course, it's in actuality illegal in a lot of countries to do so, very likely even theirs, just not normally prosecuted.) Any curtailment of their 'right', and they leave en masse. Under DU, the site was kept as an open forum, where anyone could say just about anything, even illegal things not protected by the free speech laws in their country. But then (know your Codex history) came the stalkery/police incident, and DU started openly saying he was having second thoughts about an open forum. (And that was, indeed, one ugly, prosecutable thread).

Any reasonable individual would, at that point, say this level of decorum can't continue, at least not on a site that's ostensibly about games and not politics. But for the South Park generation, this isn't about reason; it's about belief. And therein lies the rub.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think harrassment of developer posters is actually a problem on the Codex in 2016. It seems to me that if you're an RPG developer, posting here is actually a good way to reduce your chances of being hated.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's right, developers. It's [CURRENT_YEAR]. Time to get on the right side of history and post on the Codex.

Telengard

Arcane
I don't think harrassment of developer posters is actually a problem on the Codex in 2016. It seems to me that if you're an RPG developer, posting here is actually a good way to reduce your chances of being hated.
Careful about that one. Things usually remain peaceful when it's small-time developers - long as they don't do an internet faux pas, that is. When celebrity enters the picture, though, anti-fans and crazies suddenly show up. And sometimes they're people right next to you that you always thought were fairly stable.

It's part of the territory.

There's no half-measures, either. You can't, say, not protect Gaider but protect everyone else. It's all or nothing at that level.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Bring back VD.
Can't into balance?

Was it that unbearable when two Bethesda developers posted here? They came here to talk about design, knowing full well how the Codex felt about Bethesda games
. Then some asshat said that he hated Bethesda games so much he wanted to sodomize the developer's wife with a dildo. That was the end of it, but hey, free speech, m i rite? I wanted to attract more developers which required not silencing the critics but the morons who thought that criticism meant attacking developers like a rabid dog. Oh well...

They came here to lie about that oblivion turd they were working on. And when they felt the thumbscrews tightening they bailed, using anything as an excuse.

"Oblivion will have great books, we got a dedicated guy on them"

You got it wrong, those dickheads were no better or different from the rest of us. And the boisterous attitude is what makes this the best forum out there.

Also wasn't the dildo comment from Bryce? Or was that the asteroid on Beth hq? :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Careful about that one. Things usually remain peaceful when it's small-time developers - long as they don't do an internet faux pas, that is. When celebrity enters the picture, though, anti-fans and crazies suddenly show up. And sometimes they're people right next to you that you always thought were fairly stable.

It's part of the territory.

There's no half-measures, either. You can't, say, not protect Gaider but protect everyone else. It's all or nothing at that level.

Sure, you could be right. On the other hand, the production lead of Pillars of Eternity posts here now and again, and exactly zero people have given him a hard time about it.

I would say that if you're a "big-time" developer, the key is to post here, but not too often, so people don't take your presence for granted.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Was it that unbearable when two Bethesda developers posted here?
Meh. There are plenty of places devs can go to get fawned over while they discuss RPGs. This place is different. And the only thing that made it intolerable to them is because they chose not to tolerate it.

You keep coming back here, so it must not be too bad. Of course, you're also wearing a nazi uniform...
They came here to talk about design, knowing full well how the Codex felt about Bethesda games. Then some asshat said that he hated Bethesda games so much he wanted to sodomize the developer's wife with a dildo.
I actually agreed with you back then, but now I think anyone should have the freedom to insult them since the dev's have the freedom to click ignore. :M

Just because you are a dev doesn't mean you should get treated better than the rest of us. If I had a nickel for every time a codexer had insulted me, I'd have quite a few nickles.

Heck, I can go onto virtually any website they are on, including twitter, and insult them right now. Does that mean they are going to cry and leave that website forver?
They came here to lie about that oblivion turd they were working on. And when they felt the thumbscrews tightening they bailed, using anything as an excuse.

That's kinda my take on it. Although they may also have enjoyed having people to discuss RPGs with, I think the reason they were here in the first place was probably PR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Junta

ITT people are seriously defending their right to send rape threats at developers' wives

stay classy Codex

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I haven't witnessed this myself, but I consider people making accounts here for PR purposes the lowest of the low.

"Hey guys, check out my youtube channel! I'm starting a LP of Shit Game #42! It's great XD!!"

"I don't give a shit about games I play at all, as long as they are new releases, because I'm trying to make the odd buck while sitting on my ass playing games. My parents used to tell me I'm a failure, but that will show them."

"I'm hardcore like you guys, I also do LPs of classics. I never played them back when they were released, and you've played them for hundreds of hours but I'm sure you totally won't find my LPs a waste of time, because we're still bros and we're all into hardocre old-school shit, right!"

"Yeah, some hardcore old-school fans ask for donations in order to keep them playing the games they are such hardcore fans of, others such as you guys just play the games they like for free, but we're all bros, right?"

Last edited:

Prime Junta

You can attract the kind of people who send rape threats at other people's wives and woof on about jooos and niggers and the white genocide, or you can attract the kind of people who make games, are informed about them, and want to have intelligent discussions about them.

There is an intersection between the two groups, and that intersection will feel slighted no matter which line is chosen. But you cannot effectively have both.

Choice and consequence, Codex. Deal with it.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure most of the Codex has dealt with it. The only ones that seem desperate to have more developers post here are shilling fags like yourself, Crybaby Junta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom