Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress A celebratory Let's Play of X-COM: UFO Defense, Superhuman Ironman

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by UncleJimb0, Sep 17, 2012.

1. UncleJimb0 Educated

UncleJimb0
    Greetings, Codexians!

In honor of the impending release of the X-COM Enemy Unknown remake, I'm putting together a Let's Play of X-COM : UFO Defense. X-COM is one of my very favorite games...I've played it off and on for sixteen years or so (no comment on my skill level :lol:) and I am very excited to play the remake.

I will, of course, be renaming soldiers after thread participants and lurkers alike. I will also be soliciting feedback on the general course X-COM should take in research and development as well as overall strategy and, depending on the mission, perhaps even mission tactics and order of battle. My general intent is to have won or be extinct by the launch date of the X-COM reboot...we'll see how much interest this drums up.

Let me first offer a very big props to korenzel and everyuone who participated in his uber-cool TFTD LP from the no-doubt musty catacombs of ancient Codex lore (2011).

Reading through this inspired me to play the X-COM titles again, lured me into--I mean introduced me to the Codex, and also inspired me to do my first ever Let's Play.

So be merciless.

I am using the Steam version of X-COM : UFO Defense with UFO extender installed w/o any other mods. This is my first playthrough with UFO Extender, (All Your Base Are Belong to US) so I'm sure that will be interesting as well. I especially appreciate the new base layouts. As mentioned, I'm playing Superhuman Ironman. Superhuman is the max difficulty setting (impossible to play in vanilla X-COM pre-patch because of the (google) infamous difficulty bug. Ironman simply means I am playing through without reloading any saves to alter decisions, outcomes, and luck. I am fairly certain that the Steam version is patched to eliminate the difficulty bug, and if not that UFO extender will also get it. I've only used the basic install of UFO extender, so no other mods/cheats are active.

Here goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

X-COM's founding board decides to establish its first base in Europe and chooses a country with a storied history of stalwart resistance against invasion.

[​IMG]

This symbolic gesture out of the way, Command puts in FedEx orders for Autocannons, HE ammo, and other things that go boom, as well as more warm bodies and big brains to flesh out the unit. Research and development commence along logical lines:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roster: All that stands between Earth and the Grey's anal probes.

Going for AutoCannon/HE troops with lots of grenades. Named a few snipers...also noted that soldier with highest strength and accuraccy has least bravery. Designated a few a Sniper (Sn) or Heavy (H) or both. Otherwise not paying much attention to the meatshield rookies until they get forum names or ranks. Or kills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New toys.

[​IMG]

Full 14-rookie squad in Skyanger now. Rifles and explosives on board...still waiting on alien incursion. Too bad the rooks can't, y'know, go to the SHOOTING RANGE or LIFT WEIGHTS or at least HAZE OUT THE WEAK in the meantime. Or something.

Times passes until....

They mostly enter the atmosphere over Iceland at night. Mostly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Launched interceptor and chased UFO 1 to a landing near Budapest. Skyranger dispatched (Elerium! giggity giggity w00t!)....

[​IMG]

Awwwwwwwww...................

[​IMG]

Command is proud of the R&D units in X-COM. The air force, on the other hand, could use some work. The 'Ranger and the fiighters are cleaned. Fastiduously. With toothbrushes. Crew morale soars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily for the radar operators, nobody questions how they missed it upon entry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's see how our rooks do in the field.

[​IMG]

Look at this jerk. I think he was my weakest rookie (btw, looks like UFO extender gives some stats from the soldier screen...awesome!) and he goes and grabs the friggin rocket launcher. Genius.

Command has equppied our rooks with plenty of smokes (and smoke grenades) and explosive Autocannon ammo. Weapons and grenades are distributed according to carrying capacity, with some weak grunts only getting a grenade or two (Scoutinig designation F.O.D.D.R.)

Does anybody know why ufo extender defaults all this equipment to backpack and leg pouches? Isn't the belt the quickest access point?

[​IMG]

Ah, the memories.

[​IMG]

Yuzo is the first off. Also first contact to NE.

[​IMG]

Hey, guys! We found the UFO!

Command takes note of the Skyranger pilot's landing spot and plans an update in the tactical manual: "Landing Zones and relation to Proximity Of Likely Alien Ambush; Figure 1: distance should be greater than 7 meters.

(Seriously? Green-ass rookies get to fly X-COM's only transport?)

[​IMG]

Not trusting rookie aim, Command has issued directives to unload HE-flavored whoopass whenever possible. Rookie autocannon fire completely misses; luckily rocket blast radius is unaffected by rank. A few more soldiers jump out of the Ranger and someone pops a smoke grenade at the foot of the ramp.

[​IMG]

Hidden movement: human structure door opening

Nobody's dead. Yet.

[​IMG]

A plasma-sponge reaction fire team is assembled to deter alien adventurism. AC HE blast radius noted with some reserve.

[​IMG]

Another landing zone camper, this one to SW. Riflemen take aim. I guess squishing these guys with the landing gear just isnt an option.

[​IMG]

Two rookies blaze away and one even hits the Sectoid a time or two. Still standing. Good thing the grenade AI in this game is broken (*cough* TFTD *cough cough*)

[​IMG]

Gunfire erupts.

[​IMG]

Shot from the side? Another Sectoid is spotted S of drop zone.

[​IMG]

That's 3.

[​IMG]

Guess he came out of the house.

[​IMG]

Another one in a building SE of drop zone. Command notes that smoke deployment should be SOP at ramp should be new SOP.

[​IMG]

Semi-accurate autocannon fire from Rookie Gorokhova. Guess he earned his Sn designation.

[​IMG]

Less accurate autocannon fire from behind Gudrun here hits several tress but not the sectoid she is keeping tabs on. Also, her teammate to the S catches one in the back.

:(

[​IMG]

Werner blazes away at this sectoid with his AC HE...and that wall is friggin impervious. Command orders materials from the manufacturer for base shielding.

[​IMG]

Most of the squad has deployed. Hill stops to take a look at the tac display. The Ranger has landed between the UFO and alien-occupied buildings with aliens waiting in the fields surrounding the exit zone.

Ah, the memories.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Despite her eardrums shattering from nearby autocannon explosions and her fellow rook splattered a two meters to her right, Gudrun advances on the sectoid hiding behind the building.

[​IMG]

A rookie goes down under plasma fire from the S. Team morale suffers since this zone was supposed to be at least proximally clear.

[​IMG]

An enterprising Sectoid has made its way to the roof and opened fire. The rooks have no line of fire. Someone primes a grenade, though, and gives it a heave.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next turn, Grig's rocket scares the Sectoid still lingering behind this autocannon-proof building.

It's probably scared anyway/

The fact that he made it through the window is pretty cool, though

[​IMG]

Gudrun primes her grenade. When the Sectoid backs out of view on its next turn, she rounds the corner and tosses it where it should be. The outcome remains uncertain as long-distance rookie autocannon fire from the drop zone manages to kill it the same turn.

[​IMG]

Aliens start to emerge from the UFO entrance as the surviving team starts to fan out and search the exterior. Igor and Werner open up on one, then the next.

[​IMG]

And another. As Command starts to consider a breach and entry, the next turn brings respite.

[​IMG]

Command note that given the tactical setup and the friendly fire, this is much, much better than could be hoped. The UFO is greedily disassembled by the recovery team.

Elerium! Giggity giggity w00t!

[​IMG]

Future Codexiers? Time will tell.

[​IMG]

Perhaps a questionable decision on Command's part. Firepower over armor is the priority at this point since we can expect our squads will encounter aliens that HE autocannon and grenades will not do much against. Given the accepted doctrine of keeping marksmen back to fire on enemies that scouts locate, the accuracy and stopping power seem worth the tradeoff in scout survivabilty armor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rapid R&D priority changes are followed by new FedEx orders. Command checks the Geoscape graphs for good measure.

Wow...Australasia sure looks busy. Patrols are dispatched but the Interceptor is too short-ranged to remain on station at all.

[​IMG]

This:

[​IMG]

Good news!

[​IMG]

Not so good.

The graph knows all.

[​IMG]

The team loads up....a sergeant or two is sent with 8 rookies and a HWP/R.

[​IMG]

En route, another UFO pops in over Iceland? A distraction?

[​IMG]

Command is definitely distracted watching the Ranger fly towards the Melbourne night. The UFO is shot down over ocean...dont need any sectoids running around without a team to deal with them (...if any of them make it back.)

[​IMG]

Go time.

[​IMG]

This deployment hardly looks like a terror site. Suspicious glances are cast at the pilot. Could one of our sergeants be the same hotdog Ranger jockey that dropped us in a Sectoid encirclement last time?

[​IMG]

After a couple of turns, the pilot is showered with praise and promises of drinks bought in quantity as it is apparent that the Ranger has landed in the corner of the terror site on one side of a concealing wall that totally protects the embarking squad from interference.

Pilot manual updated once more.

[​IMG]

Deployment continues without a hitch, except for an occasional nervous glance into the air for a grenade or blaster bomb or something. Smoke grenades are deployed along the squad's line of advance.

[​IMG]

The HWP rounds the fence and spots the first Floater. A well-aimed rocket splatters it.

[​IMG]

Two more Floaters advance towards the corpse of their mate. Another rocket mixes their innards with his.

Command appreciates that, besides the advantage of having an armored scout on the field, HWPs do not suffer from rookie aim.

[​IMG]

A quick review of the tac display confirms the defensive situations is superb. As Hidden Movement screens are resulting almost each turn in plasma fire and civilian screams, however, squad leaders press on rapidly. Now the drop team has to cross a wide open rode with structures surrounding it.

[​IMG]

Rookie Yuzo spots an alien terrorist.

[​IMG]

Igor's rocket uncovers its perch.

[​IMG]

Yuzo advances recklessly, heedless of reaction fire, but spots a second enemy in the house's second story.

[​IMG]

Sergeant Bouton's AC HE keeps the dumb rook alive, for the nonce. Ah, how a single mission's difference can improve ye olde accuracy.

[​IMG]

Damien and Yuza trade fire with another Floater. Nobody hits anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, the HWP moves down the street S of drop zone towards an open intersection. No enemies are evident.

[​IMG]

Yuzo keeps this floater in sight so the rearwards heavies can take aim.

[​IMG]

Igor is getting to be pretty good with that launcher. The upgrade to Large Rockets is also a plus.

[​IMG]

Sgt. Bouton and team advance down the street behind the HWP screen, eying the flanking buildings from which periodic civvie screams and plasma fire is heard.

[​IMG]

Command appraises the tactical situation. The cluster of buildings to the S of display is going to be a nightmare, and the lone building immediately adjacant to the Ranger is going to require its own clearing team. The HWP will remain near the intersection for fire support.

[​IMG]

Bouton's team prepares to storm the large two story building next to the drop zone. The fence that once covered the team as it deployed might also shelter any number of nasty suprises, besides whatever is in the house killing people.

[​IMG]

Another Floater advances on the corpses of its mates. After the first two had been smeared all over the walls and ceiling by AC HE fire, Command is astounded that another idiot xeno would just wander up. Perhaps this Terror Ship was the Floater short bus.

[​IMG]

I think that's 3 rocket kills for Igor this mission.

[​IMG]

As Yuzo continues his advance SW into the alley between the small house that Igor just blew up (again) and the larger dwelling to the SE, he encounters another Floater. More shots are exchanged, and Yuzo is still unharmed. He blazes away at close range ith his laser rifle and makes the kill.

[​IMG]

MEanwhile, asSgt. Bouton's team advances on its own target, Rookie Hill spots another Floater.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Significant HE ammo is expended in its direction from the backing heavy weapons troops, to no avail.

Man, walls in this game are amazing. Does Melbourne get bad hurrricanes or something?

[​IMG]

More rookies move to SW to clear the building in front of Yuza.

[​IMG]

Maybe Hill can crack this open with a grenade?

Nope.

[​IMG]

However, HWP rocket fire manages to break the walls where AC HE ammo and grenades were unable

[​IMG]

Somehow, the tank's second shot DOESN'T kill this guy. So much for no-rook tank targeting.

[​IMG]

There he is.

[​IMG]

There's another one.

[​IMG]

Sumie is point blank with her laser rifle. The floater goes down.

[​IMG]

She and her teammate move to clear the final large building to SW. Hidden Movement last turn displayed "Floater Engineer Panics" or something to that effect, so it is unlikely he will come out and fight now. Time for a tedious bug hunt.

[​IMG]

Yuri and Yuza check the alley on the NW side.

He isn't back here.

[​IMG]

Bouton sends a rookie up to check his building.

Nope.

[​IMG]

(Last?) alien is randomly sighted in an area that should be cleared.

[​IMG]

Probably has beady little eyes and everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damien charges up the stairs and shoots it a few times in the back.

That's a wrap.

[​IMG]

Wow. 0 X-COM casualties. Quite a feat.

Only 10 floaters though? On superhuman?

Command reflects that the length of time it took the team to arrive ( close to 14 hours from France to Melbourne) probably resulted in extensive pre-mission civilian casualties. X-COM likely only dealt with the alien mop-up contingent.

The Codexier to post something fun from the lone surviving civilians point of view complete with name will get first crack at the highest ranking squad member when i check this again.

Multiple entries will result in Command perogative. :)

[​IMG]

Igor the Rocket Man certainly earned it.

[​IMG]

Seems the aliens like to hit us at month's end.

Couldn't the Council be a little less tight-fisted? Was it the Melbourne casualty thing? Sheesh.

And that's the first month, January 1999. I'm going to preview this and post it, then post my thoughts on first LP post.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. UncleJimb0 Educated

UncleJimb0
    Holy crap that was a lot more work than it looks like.

I will continue later this week. Im going to give readers a chance to sign on with X-COM; I will rename soldiers after respondents on a first come first serve basis except as noted in the above post. Should your soldier die I will reenter you in the pool and give you the next unnamed soldier when your name comes up in the rotation (if it exists) and just append your name with Mk I or something.

Feedback is appreciated, especially related to technical, creative, and technique aspects of LP generation. Anybody who does them and knows their way around Imgur and the Codex's upload and editing system, please please please give me some pointers so I can spend less time on the posts and more time on the games. Looking back on my first post I kind of think it wa stoo heavy on screenshots and not enough on commentary. Ya'll lemme know.

Gameplay critique is less useful but definitely welcome.

Once I've got some readers on the team I will present strategic and maybe tactical decisions.

Hope you all have enjoyed thus far. Maybe Cydonia awaits us.

^ Top  
  3. UncleJimb0 Educated

UncleJimb0
    I will spend some time with imgur and make it happen. They look fine on my iPad but my 22 in hd monitor blows them up a lot a lot.

Welcome aboard Ess Vee.

Anyone who would like a particular squad role lemme know and I will oblige when possible.

^ Top  
  4. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    I volunteer for glorious death! Gimme a Heavy Plasma and get out of the way.

^ Top  
  5. Lindblum Scholar

Lindblum
    I volunteer!

Ace Flasheart!
    Auto Cannons, Explosives and the like.

^ Top  
  6. Desktop Commander Savant

Desktop Commander
    Sign me up as a launcher dude!

And yeah, you need to make those screenshots smaller. There is also no need to show the new turn screen more than once (when a new turn comes up, just say it). Same goes for for the research allocation screens etc: You might want to show them every now and then for flavor, but most of the time they only fill your lp with useless clutter.

^ Top  
  7. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Just give me a rookie. I have a proven track record of being shot in the back by teammates few missions in anyway, so no reason giving me a seasoned soldier. :roll:

Oh, and I fear the new X-com soon to be released might be too next-gen and popamole. I'm not too optimistic. :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  8. Kashmir Slippers Augur

Kashmir Slippers
    Cannon fodder K. Slips signing up.

^ Top  
  9. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    Pope Amole has a lot of experience in saving the earth from alien scum (one of the heroes that, although in a completely unspectacular way, still gave his life to destroy an underwater city in TFD and in unfortunately unfinished Storyfag's playthrough he was ranked a colonel, one step away from leading the whole business), so he's ready to pop aliens in any way possible - just make that way majestic.

^ Top  
  10. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    :oops:

I admit to becoming fed up with the game because of the scientific progress being nill despite having 100 scientists investigating an artifact for MONTHS. Perhaps the combination of UFO gold, X-COM extender, and Kyrub's AI patch with my own savegame meddling to set up the initial game went sour :(

Anyway, Rookie Storyfagowicz reporting for heavy weapon duty :salute:

^ Top  
  11. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Volunteer Lightbane is ready to kill these bloody consoletards xenos! :salute:

^ Top  
  12. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Sums up the whole LP-making experience nicely.

Anyway:

1) stick to smaller screenshots (max 800x600)
    2) sign up pvt. Drog for some nice explosive action

^ Top  
  13. Untermensch Savant

Untermensch
    sugn up pvt. Rtard.
    Whichever role you want

^ Top  
  14. UncleJimb0 Educated

UncleJimb0
    Before the team gets rolling into February, new callsigns are assigned seemingly at random.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

That bit of housekeeping done, orders come down for the construction of an Alien Containment facility. The HWP/R is unloaded from the Skyranger in favor of some Codex meatshields soldiers for "training purposes".

[​IMG]

Hot damn, those buggers don't take long. How did our radar team miss this one on entry AGAIN? Command gleefully scrambles aircraft to nab some sweet, sweet Elerium (Heavy Plas clips won't fuel themselves.)

[​IMG]

Awesome. Night falls. Command weighs its team's lives against the cost of recruitment and retraining and decides to wait to launch the Skyranger. An interceptor is deployed instead to keep the UFO pinned until day.

[​IMG]

So much for that.

[​IMG]

Well, at least the fighter pilot caught up and downed the UFO. A crash site full of valuable corpses and alien gizmos is an okay consolation prize.

[​IMG]

Here we are.

[​IMG]

Squaddie Slips is first off and first to spot.

[​IMG]

Later interrogation of alien prisoners reveals that Floater tactical doctrine indicates turning away from a landing craft full of armed natives is the prescribed maneuver in crash site defense encounters.

[​IMG]

These two Floaters are very, very diligent in reading their tactical manuals before every recon mission. Clearly the Skyranger is a distraction from the real threat creeping in from the woods.

[​IMG]

The situation could still get gruesome.

[​IMG]

Mostly for this one. Desk Commander and Gondolin open up with their auto HE, but Gondolin scores the kills.

[​IMG]

Laser rifles and squaddies vs Rifles and rookies...crazy what 2 missions and 1 upgrade can do for your aim. Slips gets the kill.

[​IMG]

Command was distracted and let some of the troops pick out their own equipment. What, exactly, are you trying to say here Pope Amole?

[​IMG]

During Hidden Movement a UFO door opens.

[​IMG]

Scout Slips spots another floater atop the hill looking down into the Ranger bay.

[​IMG]

Desk Commander and Gondolin once again have a shooting contest, with Desk landing a direct hit without result and Gondolin getting the kill again.

At this point satellite communication from the field is interrupted, and Command is unable to maintain its customary live video feed. The radio uplink remains intact and, along with the squad's debriefing after the mission, the final moments of the mission play out: the small UFO crash site is spotted in the far corner of the map and fire teams spread out on top and around the two hills near the Ranger exit. A reaction fire perimeter is formed around the UFO entrance facing SW while a team of rifle armed grunts carefully makes its way through some trees towards the entrance. A floater pops out, exchanges fire with the advance team, and retreats. Heavy weapons are trained on the entrance just in case this Floater is a stupid as its Melbourne terror chums and pops out again on its next turn.

It is, and Captain Ess Vee takes the shot with his launcher, but not before the floater takes a shot and instantly kills Storyfagowicz. The floater survives its victim by nearly half a second before it's power unit, funny cape, and vicissitude is liquified and settles as a red mist over the next minutes across the interior of the UFO.

:salute: Hail Storyfagowicz, the first Codexian to fall in this war. It had to be somebody. Your callsign has been assigned to a soldier back at base before the recovery team is done with the floater chunks and alien alloy.

Command makes arrangement to switch its ISP and have new video streaming software installed in the CIC.

(For some reason irfanview wasn't taking screenshots during the last few turns when I needed it to. ???)

[​IMG]

Not bad.

[​IMG]

Funds from sold excess open up a North American base, but Command is running pretty close to the line. More UFO caps are going to be needed over the next few weeks or the troops 20k/month salaries might have to be altered. Scientists continue to chug along on the Heavy Plasma research, with 50 of them now on the job. Engineering is producing a modest quantity of Laser Rifles for reserve armament.

It's quiet.

[FFS! I edited my shots and even resized them while posting but RPG Codex's forum software stretches them to fill available space or something. Anybody have any suggestions?]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    :D

^ Top  
  16. Kashmir Slippers Augur

Kashmir Slippers
    Woo! Got a kill and didn't die!

Good update.

^ Top  
  17. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Keep it up man, one death isn't NEARLY enough :D

^ Top  
  18. Lindblum Scholar

Lindblum
    I actually like the big Screenies.
    So if someone dies you just automatically assign the name to a new recruit?

Ace Flasheart enters the fray with 2 missions and 3 kill under his belt. :smug:

^ Top  
  19. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Reporting for duty! Slaughter proudly fights for fatherland and planet!

I do fear for our team's safety. I think we haven't been sacrificing enough rookie blood to the Spec Ops Gods. Any mission with less than four casualties feels like practicse to me. Why I do get this feeling that the next mission will end with our entire team panicking and randomly firing in a open field while alien play target shooting with us?

Also, are you using Kyrub's AI mod?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Try using some free image software like IrfanView that allows you to batch resize and degrade screenshots, while keeping some quality, before you even upload them onto the internet. For my LP I'm using a quality setting of 80, with half size and usage of the "resample function".

^ Top  
  21. Pelvis Knot Cipher

Pelvis Knot
    Pelvis Knot reporting for duty!

Try Greenshot for screenshot/uploading - lots of options

^ Top  
  22. UncleJimb0 Educated

UncleJimb0
    Slaughter; No, no AI mod.

IDtenT; I'll try to up my Irfan IQ...it's what I use to cap, but I haven't really tried it to edit yet.

everyone; Do ya'll want the tactical game's every detail? Or should I summarize relatively uneventful missions with a screencap or two (especially later)?
    Also, is anyone familiar with what the new (from ufoextender I guess) Stun function does with every weapon? My guess is that it's a rifle butt smash, but I'm hesitant to send any poor rookies in to try it out. :D

^ Top  
  23. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    No need for full reports unless FUN(tm) happens. New alien species first sighting, soldier deaths, important prisoners taken. Otherwise just the mission's general location, and then the ending screen please.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.