Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Chat with Todd Howard (Standard Preview Interview)

Micmu

Magister
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
It is the same engine.
As if there was any doubt...
They sure manage to produce a lot of excrement out of now >decade old morrowing engine.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"When you level up, you pick one of your main stats to increase"

edit: nvm, I misread that. I guess attributes are out. Fuck you todd.

micmu said:
They sure manage to produce a lot of excrement out of now >decade old morrowing engine.

Christ, has it really been that long? I can still remember getting it for Xbox on release (this was back when my computer wasn't powerful enough to run the menu screens of demo discs).

Topher

Cipher
micmu said:
It is the same engine.
As if there was any doubt...

I got my ass chewed out for saying that it would be the same engine over at gamefaqs... serves my dumb ass right for ever posting anything over there.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/115/1158651p1.html

1. It is the same engine. They just apparently did so many tweaks that Bethesda decided it was enough to call it something new.

They didn't do "tweaks", they redid pretty much every important element of the engine. At this point it's absurd to call it "the same engine".

Topher

Cipher
Mastermind said:

1. It is the same engine. They just apparently did so many tweaks that Bethesda decided it was enough to call it something new.

They didn't do "tweaks", they redid pretty much every important element of the engine. At this point it's absurd to call it "the same engine".

Do other developers who use and heavily modified the Unreal engine call it a "new" engine?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Topher said:
Mastermind said:

Do other developers who use and heavily modified the Unreal engine call it a "new" engine?

Too broad a question. What modifications? When you replace virtually everything in the engine like Beth appears to have done, is it still the same engine?

To quote from the interview, which nobody seems to have read:

"Coming off of Fallout 3, we made a pretty big list of what we wanted to change technically. So we redid the rendering, lighting, shadows, animation, faces, foliage, mountains, scripting, interface and more. And by the time we got through it all, it was clear the technology was new enough to give it its own name, The Creation Engine. "

What is left? The physics engine (which was and still is havok and had nothing to do with gamebryo)?

Topher

Cipher
Mastermind said:
Topher said:
Mastermind said:

Too broad a question. What modifications? When you replace virtually everything in the engine like Beth appears to have done, is it still the same engine?

"Coming off of Fallout 3, we made a pretty big list of what we wanted to change technically. So we redid the rendering, lighting, shadows, animation, faces, foliage, mountains, scripting, interface and more. And by the time we got through it all, it was clear the technology was new enough to give it its own name, The Creation Engine. "

What is left? The physics engine (which was and still is havok and had nothing to do with gamebryo)?

The question isn't too broad. Developers often say that their game uses a "heavily modified" engine. Granted I don't typically know how modified but Bethesda should have been upfront and clarified what they meant from the get-go instead of doing it months later.

Mastermind said:
Topher said:
Mastermind said:

So they say they changed some stuff. That hardly means they completely remade the engine. Until you can actually see how much, its marketing speak. Remember how FO3 was supposed to have such vastly improved animations and faces? Yeah... :roll:. Even if it is a COMPLETELY new engine, that hardly means its an improvement. Given Bethesda's track record, its possible their new engine could be worse.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Overweight Manatee said:
Remember how FO3 was supposed to have such vastly improved animations and faces?

It did. I thought the faces were ok, if a bit generic, but miles above Oblivion. The animations were better too, though still shit.

Yeah, about that... Even if it is a COMPLETELY new engine, that hardly means its an improvement. Given Bethesda's track record, its possible their new engine could be worse.

I agree, and looking at the trailer I'm not all that happy. That said, it might just be a framerate issue since the trailer was of the xbox version.

Overweight Manatee said:
Mastermind said:
Topher said:
Mastermind said:

So they say they changed some stuff. That hardly means they completely remade the engine. Until you can actually see how much, its marketing speak. Remember how FO3 was supposed to have such vastly improved animations and faces? Yeah... :roll:. Even if it is a COMPLETELY new engine, that hardly means its an improvement. Given Bethesda's track record, its possible their new engine could be worse.

It looked like standard Morrowind/Oblivion Gamebryo from the very first picture and video. They only say it is a different engine because they have an economic interest in the marketing of the game, not because it has anything to do with truth. If Gamebryo was very popular with players then they would be saying the exact opposite, "It is the same engine we all know and love, we've just added a whole lot of features".

Enough with your shit Mastermind, unless you want to confess to being a Bethesda insider (please do, that would be fun). Neither you nor they have the credibility to convince someone it is anything other than the shit they have used many times before.

Achilles

Arcane
Well said. It was obvious from the start that's it's the same engine. The different name is a marketing stunt.

Luzur

Good Sir
Enough with your shit Mastermind, unless you want to confess to being a Bethesda insider (please do, that would be fun). Neither you nor they have the credibility to convince someone it is anything other than the shit they have used many times before.

he is either Todd or Pete, or both.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bethesturds don't have to worry about anything. Modders will fix it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Excommunicator said:
It looked like standard Morrowind/Oblivion Gamebryo from the very first picture and video.

:lol:

futurama1_large.jpg
oblivion200612031417071tk6.jpg
pirates_screen3_large.jpg

Do these look alike you stupid motherfucker? Guess what, they`re all gamebryo. The way a game looks depends mostly on the art assets (and thus the artists that produce them), not the fucking engine. That`s why Skyrim`s style is the same as the previous two, it`s made by the same fucking people. Go shove a guava tree up your ass and stop pretending you have any clue about anything. I'm starting to comprehend why Volly rages.

They only say it is a different engine because they have an economic interest in the marketing of the game, not because it has anything to do with truth. If Gamebryo was very popular with players then they would be saying the exact opposite, "It is the same engine we all know and love, we've just added a whole lot of features".

Nobody actually gives a fuck about the engine other than a handful of faggots on the codex.

Enough with your shit Mastermind, unless you want to confess to being a Bethesda insider

Yes, I'm a "Bethesda insider" because you think you can tell what engine a game is running based on art style similarities with previous games. :smug:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Divinity 2 is the proof that gamebryo can be made to look good if you have decent art direction. Oblivion/Fallout3 is the proof that Bethesda has completely shitty art direction.

So it's basically betheduhs fault, that their games have that bland, generic, crappy look. Don't blame the engine for the graphics, folks, blame it only for the same bugs all gamebryo games carry with them.

Why is Mastermind such a moron?

Why does he 'sperg so much to bring up other games that are also Gamebryo when I specifically said it looks like Morrowind/Oblivion Gamebryo?

I guess some people just don't understand how engines can render their visuals according to the way the code is modified by the licensee, and are also too stupid to see the difference between that and "art assets".

I would also like to think that people responding to things I say, actually understand what they are responding to, but I guess that is just too much to ask.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, there's obviously a lot more to game engines than just the visual aspects. Streaming( or cell-loading, in gamebryo), object-handling, resource-management, CPU/GPU dependence, etc. I expect most of those things will stay unchanged. And I still expect cities to be in separate cells just like in the previous games after Morrowind.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Excommunicator said:
Why is Mastermind such a moron?

Why does he 'sperg so much to bring up other games that are also Gamebryo when I specifically said it looks like Morrowind/Oblivion Gamebryo?

Because you claimed a game looks like an engine when the engine tells you next to nothing about what a game looks like. Go back to sleep asshole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom