Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review A Christian review of The Witcher

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Ausir, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Ausir Arcane

Ausir
    Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

After seeing <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com>The Witcher</a> flamed by the Jews, I wanted to see what Christians fundies think of the game. I was surprised to see a Christian reviewer at <a href=http://www.plaingames.com/games/reviews/review.asp?id=286>Plain Games</a>... actually like it.
    <br>
    <blockquote>There&#8217;s no doubt The Witcher is a game created specifically for mature audiences, covering the not so happy side of fantasy; though a deep and complex story will draw players in and the game&#8217;s artistic style shows through in the graphical detail and character model movements. We did run into a few bugs here and there and some further polish would go a long way for The Witcher, but the game is able to stand on its own. Its immense size and non-linear questing allow players to experience the game in the way they wish to play and three unique endings give the developers room to accommodate for the player&#8217;s actions throughout the game. While not a great moral achievement, The Witcher stands out as a deep role-playing experience few other games are able to touch.</blockquote>What I find hilarious is that they ranked the sexuality content as 3/5, while the same reviewers gave <a href=http://www.plaingames.com/games/reviews/review.asp?id=271>Mass Effect</a> 5/5 in the same category for homosexual content. Looks like, while they don't like the sexual content in The Witcher, they appreciate the sex being straight. You can read the rest of the review <a href=http://www.plaingames.com/games/reviews/review.asp?id=286>here</a>.

^ Top  
  2. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Fuck. They wasted my perfect opportunity to use "we need more lions!" comment. :(

^ Top  
  3. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    He probably dislikes the medival-fuck-cards more then alien-lesbian-fuck.
    Wait, it just occured to me - contraception.

Seriously, what does that mean Sexuality 5/5?

^ Top  
  4. Ausir Arcane

Ausir
    You got it wrong. The bigger the rating, the more offensive the sexual content is to the reviewer. So if he gave ME 5/5 for the lesbos, he dislikes it much more than the straight sex in The Witcher, which got 3/5.

From their description of rating categories:

^ Top  
  5. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    You are being too ambiguous.

^ Top  
  6. Ausir Arcane

Ausir
    Only if someone doesn't know about the lesbo sex in Mass Effect, and I think most people here do. The Christians prefer the more explicit and abundant straight sex in The Witcher to the more implicit one-time possibly lesbian (if you select a female character) sexual occurence in ME.

^ Top  
  7. sheek Arbiter

sheek
  8. Herbert West Arbiter

Herbert West
    Sex- 5/5? I don't give a crap about the exact meaning- I'm taking this score as straight as any other. The higher, the better!

^ Top  
  9. Fez Erudite

Fez
    I know I'm sold.

^ Top  
  10. WalterKinde Scholar

WalterKinde
    Once you didn't have to opportunity to practice the perversion of homo/lesbian intercourse , they were ok with the totally hetro/breeder sex, they may have frowned a bit on the topless card collection and the fact it was pre-marital sex but they are cool like that :) this is probably one of those "hip" Christian sites that endorses things like christian rock and the power rangers like tv show Bible Man.

^ Top  
  11. sheek Arbiter

sheek

^ Top  
  12. Fez Erudite

Fez
    Now we need an Islamic review of The Witcher.

^ Top  
  13. Ausir Arcane

Ausir
  14. Fez Erudite

Fez
    Perhaps, but would Scientologists be allowed to look at such a thing or speak on the internet about it afterwards?

^ Top  
  15. JrK Prophet

JrK
    Didn't the Witcher have that threesome with two women and thus also lesbian sex?

That reviewer probably didn't play the full sex in this game, harhar.

^ Top  
  16. Hümmelgümpf Arbiter

Hümmelgümpf
    Only if you stay neutral. The reviewer, being a model Christian, is likely to have joined the Order.

^ Top  
  17. Texas Red Whiner

Texas Red
    Geralt can have a foursome with 3 *vampires* :shock:. Will someone think of the children?

^ Top  
  18. Digitalos Novice

Digitalos
    I am actually thoroughly enjoying the game, and I think it's been one of the only RPGs to offer really relevant choices to the player. Parts of it made me feel a little off as a Christian, but then to be fair nothing is perfect in this world we live in, and I thought the whole point of an RPG was to play them how -you- want to play them. If you want to be bad, you can, if you want to be good, you can. Also, I'm not sure where we draw the line in encouraging bloodthirsty slaughter, and condemning sex, or vice versa. I always found it odd, working in Germany, seeing people reading nude magazines on the bus, and then in the US, seeing them read magazines about guns heh - two totally different cultures.

I think the rating system is good, I don't think the game is perfect, but I think it highlights the repurcussions of decisions which is what you want from an RPG, hence I can't help but agree with the reviewer. Btw if you buy the collectors edition, it comes with an awesome art book, which my wife and I were looking through on the train home, when we came across the "Erotica" section lol. o_O

Although, they seriously need to do someone about their stupid dialogue system. Why, does it take just 2 clicks to enter the trade dialogue, but if I want to cross the river it takes *counts* 4! Every. Single. Time. *headdesk*

Cheers,
    Digitalos

P.S. Why did my account go inactive here? o_O Has it been that long?

^ Top  
  19. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    Depends. Did you ever post with it? If not, it was likely wiped out in the great spambot purge of '07 (or was it '06?). Otherwise, it should still be active.

^ Top  
  20. sabishii Arbiter

sabishii
    Half-Witcher/Half-Vampire children?

^ Top  
  21. Texas Red Whiner

Texas Red
    Witchers are sterile, heretic.

^ Top  
  22. Digitalos Novice

Digitalos
    No it's definitely dead and buried. :'( I haven't posted in some time so maybe that was it.

Cheers!
    Digit

^ Top  
  23. Amasius Augur

Amasius
    It was September 23th, 2006 when you killed me, how could you forget? But I was reborn, praise the RPG Lord!

^ Top  
  24. Saint_Proverbius Administrator Patron

Saint_Proverbius
    I still don't get what a lot of Christians have against fantasy depictions of magic. I keep trying to picture Jesus, who washed the feet of a prostitute to show her that he cared about all people, chastising a kid for playing a video game that had fantasy magic themes. Somehow, I just can't.

In the prostitute case, she was committing sin. In the case of games, it's make believe. Now if the kid was somehow actually using magic as part of a game, maybe I could see the gripe.. But we're talking about MAKE BELIEVE here. Even if you believe magic is real, which I'm sure the vast majority of people don't, you still have to see the difference between make believe and reality. It's almost like arresting a kid for playing cops and robbers because he pretended he shot someone and putting him in jail for murder.

^ Top  
  25. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Isn't failure to make that distinction central part of religious worldview?
    :P

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.