Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout A Fallout 1/2 inspired isometric cRPG from New Blood Interactive

its not really fallout, its like retro future or whatever in fallout style graphics styling and maybe world

Falksi

Arcane
https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads...thing-very-fallout-esque.220459/#post-4434542

IMG-20210617-145549.jpg

scene-png.19777

IMG-20210617-145607.jpg

Project Van Buren is the second in-progress adaptation of Van Buren. Unlike Yesterday it's being made in Unity.
https://projectvanburen.com/

Edit:
Think Fallout before the bombs fell.

JNPPTNE.gif

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Developer
Working alone my game only took 2 to 3 years. It has very little quests and no top-down perspective. Also most cities are just landscapes. But I have every other feature.
..Well it's also missing equivalents to perks and status effects in mass, but that's because it's an incomplete game.

As a team It shouldn't take them but 4 to 6 years unless they are just a team of amateurs.

I have some advice since they said this will be a crpg...

Codex doesn't give a fuck about your crpg, your game, and especially not your "inspiration". The fact is your inspiration may be Fallout, but your intentions are what matter.

Specifically if you aren't ready to grab gamer's by the pussy, you won't even have a playerbase. Wanting to profit monetarily or not is irrelevant.

People forget that what made the original Fallout games great was how much they offered, AND the point in time they were offering it in. There are also some specific things that made the games loved and that was probably the extreme violence.
But extreme violence and every other thing you can think of is overdone. Which is why when bethesda thought they could substitute other rpg elements for it, they were outlandishly wrong.
However bethesda is working from a proven IP, and their proven status as a publisher of other shit. "People" will always atleast give the game of a proven IP a chance and so people will actually experience the game before judging it.

If you're serious about modeling things after Fallout you'll need to recreate all the features that no one even cares about or replace them with something of equal value.
But since the value of most of fallout's features is apparently zero if you aren't already a known publisher of CRPGs, you have to endure with no real fanfare.

The only thing you can do better is on story and dialog, maybe quest design. But the effort only pays off (in terms of interest from others) if a bunch of story fags descend upon your game at once.

Don't get me wrong you're off to a good start by bamboozling people with pretty graphics, albeit maybe not as fallouty as they could be.

Also getting onto steam is a long soul-crushing process. The whole steamworks process is like walking into a maze of busywork and endless random misc considerations, and configuration hell.

To summarize even if you aren't making a game for any profit:
-Hire a PR guy.
-Hire a pussy-grabbing focus group.
-Keep shitting out graphics-pr0n screenshots/concept art.

P.S. congratulations for making it onto pcgamer. I like the pictures.

""we are going to grab the players guts and remind him of this" -- fallout 1 vision document

Last edited:

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What the hell is fallout without the apocalypse? The sims?
That would be Nu-Fallout. They already have building mode and decline like that.

I don't know what genre it would be, but it would probably have a boatload of pop culture references.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Wtf bro, this looks insane. That RED888 guy is insanely talented. Glad they got him to do the art.. holy fuck.

This could actually be the real NOT fallout 3 pre war

HYPE

ArchAngel

Arcane
I remember talking about it in another thread, seems to be pretty much "Fallout but WHAT IF there was no Great War?" which is an interesting premise.

Its great that they got Red888Guns to do the art. If there's ONE PERSON on this planet that understands the art-style of the Classic Fallouts, its him. I don't even know how he does it, its a perfect better-quality replica of the OG art style. He just "gets" this incredible brand of 50s Retrofuturism through a 80s/90s lens. Plus he's good.

He's from Russia, because of course. Eastern Europe seems to get Fallout better than the US, its eerie.

The man is INSANELY talented.

Well, let's see how these guys do, design wise. Good art needs good game
He first has to dodge getting conscripted to go fight in Ukraine.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I never really liked the 3D Fallout games so this looks pretty cool if they can match it up with the game play and music to hold the vibe.

.Pixote.

Augur
I was curious what it would look like with the Fallout colour palette - a reduced 256 colour palette. It breaks up the smoothness of the surfaces, but still looks gorgeous.

itW50dv.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom