Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

A game of infernal thrones (Solium Infernum)

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Jaedar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Solium Infernum is a turn-based strategy game based on intrigue and scheming. The goal, as stated above, is to claim the throne of hell for yourself. You can do this through a variety of mechanics such as sorcery, martial strength, prestige and many forms of cunning.
    [​IMG]

As usual, the AI is not quite good at deception, so the game only really shines in multiplayer which requires players. We previously had a game going with codexers but it was brought down by the sloth of one of the participants who shall remain unnamed. But a few months have passed, and this game is very good, so I want to try again.

What you will need to participate in this glorious effort of diplomacy and ruthless backstabbing is a copy of the game(legit or yarr'd) and enough free time to play one turn per day. Since the game will likely take more than a month at this rate this is not an insignificant investment. More than one turn per day would be lovely, but it's hard to pull off with different time zones. It takes about 5 minutes to download, play, and upload your turn files if you know what you want to do in the game.

Mechanics wise, you start the game by creating your archfiend with the very robust character editor. You get a certain number of actions per turn, 2 by default but it can be increased to as much as 6 as the game goes on. Players actions then get executed in a rotating order. Most actions also require one or more of four resources( souls, ichor, darkness and hellfire) which must be gathered, either by your minions or by demanding them from other players.

The game requires 4-6 players. If there are more folks than that interested, we'll try to find a solution.

RPS did a pretty good AAR of the game which can be found here.

pinging ironyuri , TripJack

^ Top  
  2. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
  3. TripJack Prestigious Gentleman Hedonist

TripJack
    dibs on this portrait again
    [​IMG]

well not with that attitude :rpgcodex:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    well sir, I was almost always the first one to transmit saves, so :smug:

I almost feel tempted to participate again, but three times the charm as they say. And three times this has failed so far, so I'm sceptical.

^ Top  
  5. TripJack Prestigious Gentleman Hedonist

TripJack
    nah it'll work for sure this time i've got a good feeling
    :dance:

^ Top  
  6. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    Are you talking about The Brazilian Slaughter?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    There can be no rest until someone rules hell.

And this game is pretty enjoyable even if I am always robbed of a conclusion.

^ Top  
  8. EmoBunny Savant

EmoBunny
    I'm down if I can acquire a copy of the game.

^ Top  
  9. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    ^ Top  
  10. Brotherman Bill Arcane Sad Loser

Brotherman Bill
    P cool game, as long as the playing group doesnt sux ololo

^ Top  
  11. Brotherman Bill Arcane Sad Loser

Brotherman Bill
    Well Darth Roxor root won, good fucking job. The guy who was sitting on 20 fucking prestige until 60 turns into the game and whose main occupation is feeding praetors, that is. But of course, suiciding on hero has priority.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/05/solium-infernum-dev-quits-pc-for-board-games/#more-260561

well this sucks.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    His games have been getting worse. Armageddon Empires is still my favourite.

^ Top  
  14. TripJack Prestigious Gentleman Hedonist

TripJack
    seeing this thread gets me all excited about having another codex solium pbem and its this shit instead :negative:

also this might be the first time in history that i regret pirating a game instead of buying it

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    ^ Top  
  15. Torrasque01 Augur

Torrasque01
    Well it's not the worst news in the world. His next game could be ported to vassal or Tabletop Simulator and we wouldn't have to put up with terrible Adobe Air shit.

^ Top  
  16. KoolNoodles Arcane

KoolNoodles
    Remember grabbing the demo of AE before release a long time ago. Bought that and SI, was waiting to buy his Cthulhu game based on the demo(didn't much care for the western).

That's pretty sad, but I also love boardgames and an adaptation of either AE or SI(or similar) in that format would be sweet. Only thing I'd miss was the music.

Also Vic seemed like a stand up guy on his blog and in the forums. I rebuilt my computer a couple years ago, lost my SI key, emailed him about it(this was a couple years after first purchase). He responded within a half hour with a new key. Pretty dope.

^ Top  
  17. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Yeah. It's a shame his games haven't made it onto Steam. He deserves the sales it would bring.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Be sure to vote for Occult Chronicles on Steam Greenlight. Kind of crazy AE was rejected (makes me think they weren't even looking at many of the games before). I wonder if Vic ever tried GOG.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. KoolNoodles Arcane

KoolNoodles
    It's amazing the complete shit that gets on the front page, and his stuff can't even get a fair shake. Granted, maybe he never wanted to go that route because of the fees(though he did put OC on there), but his games are certainly far superior to a lot of the garbage and "average" games on Steam.

As I've absorbed the news it has kinda depressed me. In the back of my mind I was hoping to hear of new weird games from Cryptic Comet/Vic Davis for years to come, and now it's over. :negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Maybe with this news and him previously bundling Armageddon Empires we'll get a Cryptic Comet humble bundle with SI and Occult Chronicles and the western card game and everyone can have legal copies. I swear that bastard Vogel has had 2 or 3 humble bundles to himself, Vic Davis should be able to swing one.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    Davis tried to get them on Steam before, knowing it would bring them much-needed exposure, but got a reply along the lines of “not a chance in Hell.”

^ Top  
  22. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Maybe we'll get an actual Solium Infernum board game!

:bounce:

^ Top  
  23. toro Arcane

toro
    And the reason was?

^ Top  
  24. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Unfortunately a lot of the mechanics in SI only work when you have an impartial mediator obscuring information between the players. Still, it could be really cool

^ Top  
  25. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    This sucks, especially because he posted this on his blog shortly before the new direction post:

"So what does the future hold in store for Cryptic Comet? I am working on a new game. It’s a turn based strategy game with a map, units, locations and very board game like. The idea is for the player to use a completely different rule set than the 4 AI’s that he is competing against. I don’t want to reveal the setting but I think it is going to be pretty far out there. The player is besieged on all sides and has to manage limited resources to hold off the AI’s until a certain objective can be achieved. Rorke’s Drift is a big inspiration for this but there are no Zulu’s and your victory condition is pretty nihilistic…so it’s Rorke’s Drift meets the end of John Carpenter’s The Thing. I’ve always wanted to make this game"

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.