Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Solium Infernum remake

Beowulf

Arcane
https://www.soliuminfernum.com

Those guys made Armello, which was meh and had some MP issues, but at least it's not a total noname group doing their first 3D project.
Still - couldn't really get a confirmation if Vic is involved in any capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColCol

Arcane
Weird, I hope this pushes back the original creator into game design.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Neat. This is definitely unexpected. I was sad when Vic Davis seemed to stop making games, but a good remake of this in a real game engine will be nice. I do wish Armageddon Empires had been first, but I'll take either.

DakaSha

Arcane
wtf is this. looks like soulless shit compared to the original. why cant we just get the original but with some kind of built in pbem system like what field of glory has

It definitely doesnt look as good.
It also definitely needs a new engine though. Would have been nice if they could have used the same assets

Last edited:

manifest

Educated
Into the trash.
ss_f4b1c8fd4139c470a30cf304a2c6d0044ef7ff76.600x338.jpg

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
wtf is this. looks like soulless shit compared to the original. why cant we just get the original but with some kind of built in pbem system like what field of glory has
The original is built in some "macromedia flash projector" engine, that seems completely cursed. I emailed Vic about a bug once and he was like "yeah, I know about that one, but fixing it made turn times take hours to process because of engine limitations".

But they should have kept the artstyle and presentation. Figures on a 2d "hand painted" board is a good aesthetic for a hellish ruler. The new screenshots look like a civ6 mod.

The original certainly had some issues mind you (some of the actions just make very little sense, such as send emissary), and could do with a general balance pass.

Beowulf

Arcane
Yeah, I'd look at it more fondly if it was a 2D remake replicating the original look and feel.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Vic Davis, the original creator, endorsed the remake in his blog:

https://www.crypticcomet.com/blog/?p=1262

I think the original game was very interesting.
Why downgrade the art in a remake?

solium-infernum-windowed-screenshot-11_8_2012-1_23_52-pm-cropped.png

The illustrations were awesome, and even the hex grid was not bad.
I tried to work with one of the artists Vic had contracted, but he was too busy drawing Space Marines for Games Workshop at this time.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I tried to work with one of the artists Vic had contracted, but he was too busy drawing Space Marines for Games Workshop at this time.
I don't think the art was downgraded, so much as there was a decision to move to 3d graphics.
This art is not nearly as terrible as the 3d characters imo:

ss_0c8d6b1f5c551669736cc191570476f525926f89.1920x1080.jpg

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

I don't think the art was downgraded, so much as there was a decision to move to 3d graphics.
This art is not nearly as terrible as the 3d characters imo:
ss_0c8d6b1f5c551669736cc191570476f525926f89.1920x1080.jpg
Indeed, this illustration looks still nice. I'm ok with the look of the map, but the 3D models for the demons are a bit off.

Silva this was a cool game. Hopefully the remake will be good too. Great MP experience, reminded me of the old Avalon Hill boardgame Republic of Rome.

Silva

Arcane
Looks dope. I'm a big fan of Armello, which is a damn fun MP game, and was curious to see what the devs would come up with next.

What's the gameplay supposed to be? 4X like Civ/SMAC?

No, it's not a 4x. It's a game of diplomacy. Hard to describe, but as I said, look up Republic of Rome sometime. It's kind of similar.

The Armello devs aren't the original designers btw. This is a remake of a game that came out in 2009.

here just to derail the thread.
it infuriates me that some new game has been advertised as "from the creators of solium infernum" instead of "armageddon empires".

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
here just to derail the thread.
it infuriates me that some new game has been advertised as "from the creators of solium infernum" instead of "armageddon empires".

AE was meh for me, didn't have the impact of SI, generic scifi game while SI had genuinely good and interesting idea behind it, the whole vendetta thing and many non classic mechanics.

What is there to love about AE anyway? The dice?

manifest

Educated
The original is now unavailable from Cryptic Comet, as are all of Vic's other games. You can (and should) still buy Armageddon Empires from Steam. I've backed up all of my installers and keys in anticipation of the site totally shutting down. Maybe I'll order some spare mousepads.

Solium Infernum is the best game I've ever played, and the most memorable. It's a damned shame witnessing it go dark like this, and for yet another butcher job remake. I don't blame Vic at all for taking his retirement money, and I hope it sees his family well, but I feel like I've lost an old friend. I'm going to keep the torch burning as long as I can, but it's hard to find people with the patience and attention span for PBEM these days.

Solium is hardly perfect. It's slow, even for games of its type. The interface is buggy and obtuse. The rules are arcane and convoluted. Most turns are emotionally grueling, weighing alliances and treachery and risking consequences that spill over into real relationships. There's a lack of truly viable build options for your archfiend. People tend to overstate its datedness, but a day will surely come when Adobe Air no longer works.

I don't think Solium really works without these things. The slow, friendship-destroying churn of months-long vendettas, days into sleepless nights painstakingly planning your meager actions with constant manual-referencing, hounding players to do their fucking turns. The only game I've ever been truly obsessed with. Rest in peace, you beautiful bastard.

Gaznak

Learned
Damn, I was thinking that games like Solium Infernum are immune for sure to this unending modern plague of ugly 'remakes'... Yet another pillar of my faith in humanity collapsed now.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It should be freeware, you'd be playing it years later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom