Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A game to consider reviewing...

Mad_Dog

Liturgist

It's disgustingly fun, and innovative for a space exploration game. It only takes 10 minutes to play a game... A long one. Give it a look-see. Not so much an RPG, although it does have a few RPG aspects, but it is below industry radar.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Mad_Dog said:
It's disgustingly fun, and innovative for a space exploration game. It only takes 10 minutes to play a game... A long one. Give it a look-see. Not so much an RPG, although it does have a few RPG aspects, but it is below industry radar.

SAIS is a damned cool game. I'm not sure it's RPG elements really cut it for this site though.

I will say this, though. It's well worth the price and is a damned good coffee break game.

Mad_Dog

Liturgist
SAIS is pretty damn good... I hope a sequel is planned.

A much more RPG-oriented space game, Escape Velocity Nova is being ported to Windows, and will be done soon I hope. You should definitely check it out... It's in the tradition of Elite and Privateer.

Mad_Dog

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Yeah, my Mac using friend can't stop gushing about the whole Escape velocity line.
It lives up to all the hype. The first two are great. With Basilisk II it's pretty easy to get the first one to run quite well on a PC. Or pick up a old mac for $40. You won't regret it.:)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, there's always I-WAr2: Edge of Chaos. PRetty freaking awesome game. not much of an RPG, though. But the amount of freedom you have is pretty nice.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
If you're looking for an open ended space(sorta) trader sim game, you could try Hardwar, which was developed by the Software Refinery. That is, assuming you can find a copy of it these days.

It's not planet to planet, though. It takes place within an abandoned colony within a crater system. The colony itself is called, "The City of Misplaced Optimism", which I thought was a great name for it. Basically, you can establish trade routes between the shops and factories in the CoMO, and even buy them.

Very neat game.

Rosh

Erudite
Seems like it's still in development or on hold. A simple Google search could find a HardWare demo, but here's the very poor developer's site that has very limited navigation:

http://www.softwarerefinery.com/

Deathy

Liturgist
Hardwar was released in 1998, I remember seeing reviews of it and playing the demo back then.

Rosh

Erudite
Deathy said:
Hardwar was released in 1998, I remember seeing reviews of it and playing the demo back then.

Well, then the developer's site is complete crap, then.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rosh,

It's like that because Software Refinery actually continue to develop the game despite lackluster sales four years ago.

I know, it's a strange concept from the typical market dump + token patch thing we're used to seeing, but it's nice to see some developers that stand by their products even years later.

Rosh

Erudite
I see that, and that's good, but their site is quite a pain to navigate in. Go to try to find a demo, you'd have better luck in a search engine, same with other facets of the site.

*twitch*

I think I might have found it, under "Upgrades", and you need to register. I guess I'll do that and see what happens.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I thought some sort of virus had infected you all and you were spelling "hardware" incorrectly for some odd reason. Then I find that it actually IS Hardwar. So there you go. I'd personally go for HardWar or Hard-War over Hardwar, but once again, there you go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom