Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Gift of War(Was GF3)

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Here I will post about possibly upcoming Golden Fall 3.

Golden Fall 3 will MORE stuff into it.
More skills, more spells, more attributes.
I think I will fundamentally change the way skills/battle/attributes work from GF2.

It is also going to be 2.5D.

I am working on the graphics part right now.
So... the first post.

What do you think of the new 3D visuals?
I have taken a level from GF2 and tried to turn it into 3D.

screen_1920x1200_2021-03-14_00-14-44.png
screen_2560x1440_2021-08-15_18-46-00.jpg

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
You mean if the camera can be rotated?
No it can right now, but I might be able to support it.
Every character sprite is going to have like 8 or 6 directions.

You mean if the camera can be rotated?
No it can right now, but I might be able to support it.
Every character sprite is going to have like 8 or 6 directions.

I think the character looks fine as it is even if the camera is rotated more, but can you post a screenshot of the camera moved at a more isometric angles.
I don't really like rotating cameras I just wanted to see a different perspective. It might look interesting.

fork

You got rid of version numbers and call it a new game each time? Great business model. Genius even.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I like the old look a bit more but the new one looks more professional (and pricier if that makes sense?), so I would go with the new one. Maybe I just need to adjust my eyes.
Will there be a Complete-Your-Collection-Bundle for all three games (or the two that are there now?)

bionicman

Liturgist
I think you should use a proper color palette, it would make your game look better.
There are many color-palette sites on the internet, and they can't be copyrighted, so feel free to steal one made by actual artists, e.g. from this site https://lospec.com/palette-list

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I like the old look a bit more but the new one looks more professional (and pricier if that makes sense?), so I would go with the new one. Maybe I just need to adjust my eyes.
Will there be a Complete-Your-Collection-Bundle for all three games (or the two that are there now?)
Sadly people are willing to pay more for fancy shaders in 3D. :/

I think the character looks fine as it is even if the camera is rotated more, but can you post a screenshot of the camera moved at a more isometric angles.
I don't really like rotating cameras I just wanted to see a different perspective. It might look interesting.
It's a bit of work to do this... need to change to orthogonal camera and fix some stuff, maybe I will do that later.

I think you should use a proper color palette, it would make your game look better.
There are many color-palette sites on the internet, and they can't be copyrighted, so feel free to steal one made by actual artists, e.g. from this site https://lospec.com/palette-list
Possible I will get the aid of an actual artist this time, or again, I will go with my own prosper art.

Also, I am going to invest in actual story this time.
I think I can think of pretty good stories, just that I didn't bother with the story in GF2

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
You got rid of version numbers and call it a new game each time? Great business model. Genius even.
What do you think takes to work on a game?
The engine is often not the biggest effort in making a game.
You need tons of assets, balancing stats, story, art, level design. All this takes probably more than the engine itself.

Edit: I am also planning to make an auto tester this time.
So the AI will be able to play the game on it's own.
The amount of time I wasted in playing the entire game to make sure I didn't break anything...

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
What do you mean by that?
You mean like a bundle of all 3 games?
Sure, that's possible.
Edit: Consider the first game is only 2 Bucks, kind of not a lot of discount to give there.
But good idea, I guess I could create a bundle.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Yes, all three games (or two at the moment)! There are two bundle types on Steam.
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/application/bundles

To give an example, let's assume that you have made a bundle with Golden Fall and Golden Fall 2. If you purchase both you get 10% off (which would be more than enough).
Now a player buys Golden Fall 2 and discovers the Bundle afterwards. A Complete Your Collection Bundle gives him 10% off on Golden Fall when he eventually purchases it while the other bundle type only let's you buy and get the discount on the whole package (so he would need to buy Golden Fall 2 again which means he can only gift the bundle)

Would be great! Thanks!

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I want to demonstrate my sharpen "trick".
This is actually already implemented in GF2(you can see in first screenshot).
Left is without trick, right is with.
What it does is scale up the sprite without filtering, than filter it with trilinear. So each pixel turn into 4x4 quad, but it's still filtered.

SharpenTrick.png

bionicman

Liturgist
The point light shadows are fine, but I'd say the lens flare behind the player character is too bright.

I prefer this brightness:
screen_2560x1440_2021-08-15_18-46-00-jpg.20433

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Thanks, I will consider not having a bright spot.
Eventually I might add a more troch like light.

Here is another demonstration of the point light:

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
As advised changed lighting to look more like a torch.
And more GUI work.
I am gonna stop the GUI work for now.

My goal right now is to recreate GF2 in the new engine.

screen_2560x1440_2021-08-31_21-24-47.jpg

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I am taking GF2, and building on it's code to add new engine capabilities.
I think that if I recreate GF2, it will make it easy for me to focus on the engine without having to worry about thinking about the actual GF3 game for now.

So my plan is to recreate GF2 with the "new engine", then put GF3 as early access, with GF2 remake being what you get if you pay for the early access.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
But it's still Unity if I recall correctly? So when GF3 is released it will be an expanded/enhanced GF2? I'm a bit confused :M

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
GF3 will be different from GF2.
I am just remaking GF2 to help me have something to test the new engine.

GF3 will be different combat wise, stats, and lots of things.
I even plan to add a party, and you will be able to control all members of your party. I have thought how.
Maybe it will be just one henchman though, but you will be able to control more than one character.

GF2 Remake will just be a bonus you get with GF3

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
ah I understood now, thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom