Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A new Deus Ex was in development at Eidos Montreal

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
While it isn’t necessary, especially with GMDX/texture packs etc; it is strange that there hasn’t been an upscaled and/or modernised release of DX1, to cash in on it’s “cult” reinstall when you hear about it status, if nothing else

Then again SE treated it as a bottom of the bargain bin game for awhile, I think I got my GOG copy for $1.50

kangaxx

Arbiter
Schreier saying Embracer greenlit a new game:

I'd like to see another one because I'm a sucker for the original and this kind of game in general.. even if the newer ones aren't quite as good.

Problem is that Schrier is a lying whore. If he told me the sky is blue I'd have to go and check for myself.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'm to lazy to check for myself: how much of the DX:MD team is left? If they don't pull any shenanigans (fabulously optimistic, I know) like the last two (e.g. the weird monetization thing in HR and intentionally cliffhanging MD without knowing if they were going to be greenlit for another, IIRC), I could see a half-decent game coming out of that studio.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It seems like there’s been a lot of shuffling over the years with that studio, and now w/ it’s buyout/consolidation.. would be interesting to find out

while I enjoyed the rebooted series for what it was I think it hangs out in a very tall shadow and I never want to replay them.. I’d rather see what a different set of DX enthusiasts would do (with a hopefully less heavy-handed take on the series)

kangaxx

Arbiter
High on the list for a new one has to be opening out the maps/levels and not pandering to the console crowd. Try and recapture some of the peerless magic of the first game.

And do not make Jensen a cyber troon.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Since they got rid of that baggage gf of his, Jensen is ok in MD. Nothing spectacular, but not as cardboard-y as in HR. It also helped that I played MD in German and his voice isn't as grating as Toufexis's. Who knows what can happen in the third game, he might even grow an actual personality at one point. Even if they wanted to, they can't really move on from Jensen since he's the genetic blueprint for the Denton brothers, so even if Jensen isn't the protagonist he'll still be heavily involved in the story in some capacity.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
he might even grow an actual personality at one point.
Maybe he gets 'augmented' with one?

While the series really looked good in Human Revolution and Mankind Divided, I can't say that I have become more interested in this era of the Deus Ex universe.
I admit that I have yet to play MD as I could not run it properly on my old computer, I was rather annoyed to find out that it ended on yet another cliffhanger as I was rather done with Jensen as a protagonist.
Denton maybe rather corny sometimes but I really don't see Jensen as the 'face' of the franchise despite how much he was sold as.

Lemming42

Arcane
Wouldn't mind the long-awaited third Jensen game, but I'm also not really attached enough to the Jensen games to care either way.

Vaguely interested in anything they end up making, though - the Jensen games are a bore plot-wise and lack everything that makes DX1 appealing stylistically and tonally, but they're still great fun to play with solid stealth, solid combat, and cool level design. I'd rather they take the mechanics and level design style of HR and MD and use them in an all-new setting that's got nothing to do with Deus Ex, but they have to go for that brand recognition, I suppose.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
solid stealth
The "solid stealth" is a meme at this point, it's the games' weakest point and a regression from the Looking Glass Deus Exes mechanically. Dark/light doesn't matter, sound plays less of a role, popamolish cover jumping that bypasses a lot of skill in remaining hidden, radar...

ADL

Prophet
Mankind Divided had some really spooky stuff going on in the background. They can kill the franchise after this one, I just want the third Jensen game.

Gargaune

Magister
Been sorta dreading this moment, ironically. On the one hand, EM really came into their own with DX4 and especially its third DLC, would love to get more of that... On the other hand, a lot of previously solid IPs have been turning to shit in the past few years.

Turn that shit off.

quaesta

Educated
I hope we get cool powers. Story will be ass but if I get to be a cyber soldier with all sorts of guns and gadgets, I'll be happy

Zanzoken

Arcane
Nu-DX will never equal the original, but it is good for what it is.

I could go for a third Jensen game since his story is unfinished, but we already know what the end result is going to be, and they heavily foreshadowed how it would likely happen.

So I'd probably be more intrigued by a new protagonist and story set in the same universe.

ADL

Prophet
I think it's be a huge mistake to skip the third Jensen game. We already suffered through the middle where nothing was resolved by nature of it being the second part of a trilogy so all that buildup for nothing? Wrap it up then you can get a new protagonist or remake or whatever the fuck they plan on doing with it.

Lemming42

Arcane
solid stealth
The "solid stealth" is a meme at this point, it's the games' weakest point and a regression from the Looking Glass Deus Exes mechanically. Dark/light doesn't matter, sound plays less of a role, popamolish cover jumping that bypasses a lot of skill in remaining hidden, radar...
It's good at what it's trying to do, which is mostly about analysing each room to learn guard patrols, identify sticky cover objects, find where the exit is, and then plot your route accordingly.

There are some weak points where the stealth route is painfully obvious from the start, but there's just as many rooms where there's really no clear way through and it all comes down to the player's ability to plan a route ahead of time and make modifications on the fly.

The stealth in Deus Ex 1 never impressed me much though honestly, it felt like a severely gutted version of Thief with far worse enemy AI, so the shift to a different, arguably more simplified style of stealth gameplay didn't bother me too much.

grimace

Arcane
Jensen story arc can be completed in a novel. I'm not reading a novel when I'm playing an immersive sim.

I would like an un-named un-superhero-like character to solve a crime/conspiracy. That's the roleplay aspect that has been removed from every game after the original.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
The stealth in Deus Ex 1 never impressed me much though honestly, it felt like a severely gutted version of Thief with far worse enemy AI, so the shift to a different, arguably more simplified style of stealth gameplay didn't bother me too much.
And that gutted version of thief still had deeper mechanics than the pacman stealth of nu-DX. You could even distract guards by throwing soy to them!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom