Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A People's Democratic Let's Play-Balance of Power:1990 Edition

Who Will I Pick?

• Total voters

Kukulkan

Learned
BoP1.jpg

Balance of Power is an old Cold War sim. Sort of like an 80's East vs West. Experimenting a little I've decided to make this different from a usual let's play.
The Rules
1. The actions I do in this game for each turn will be determined by an individual participating in this let's play.
2. The first three people to post will be a candidate to be the person above.
3. There will be a vote for who that person will be.
4. The poll for each turn will last until 7 votes are reached.
5. I will only go nuclear with the other superpower eight times. If the eighth is reached the lp ends.
BoP2.jpg

There'll be a general vote for the difficulty and a poll will determine the nation.

BoP3-2.jpg

The world in 1989.

If you don't know how to play consult this manual.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3930860/Balance-of-Power-1990-edition-Manual
What I can do in this game can be summed as follows:
-I can select any country displayed in the map.
-I can choose to "make a policy" which means interfering with the nation.
-The interfering ranges from supporting a coup to sending aid to insurgents.
-Everything I will get the other superpower whining about the action.
-I can press on and hope to gain valuable prestige or I can back down and avoid nuclear war.

Kukulkan

Learned
Infantryman, since you are the only candidate to present yourself please decide the difficulty level and what my actions shall be for the first turn. The country will be the USSR.

Cassidy

Arcane
Finlandize Sweden.

It's more than possible. Also Argentina may have its right-wing dictatorship on the verge of collapse or not, except that Kwanstain will most certainly object to any intervention before the commies seize the power there(which they might do even without any Soviet help). Of course this is in Multipolar difficulty.

Kukulkan

Learned
Oscar Wilde was a decadent shitpusher.
-Fretrider
CockRider can go suck Franco's balls in hell.
- Kukulkan
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
As for this thread since nobody is following the candidate rule I'll simply take every suggestion given, assign a number to each, and then use a random number gen to determine what order it'll be.

Infantryman

Scholar
  • Nuclear mutual defense treaty with FRG
  • Destabilize Yugoslavia
  • Apply strong pressure on Syria
Updated: For some odd reason I thought we were playing as USA. I'll have to revise my choices:
  • Nuclear mutual defense treaty with GDR
  • Economic aid for Poland
  • Military aid for Afghanistan
  • Destabilize Mexico
  • Apply strong pressure on Thailand

Could you show us a map with spheres of influence?

Kukulkan

Learned
BoP4.jpg

Following the suggestion of Cassidy I will pick the hardest difficulty level and the USSR is the victor.

BoP5-1.jpg

Complying with Infantryman's request, here's a map showing sphere of influence. At the same time I am applying tough political pressure on Thailand.

BoP6.jpg

Next thing on the list is sending military aid to Afghanistan. Thank god the Codex is running the USSR now instead of that Gorbachev pussy.

BoP7.jpg

Now have a look at prestige value.

BoP8.jpg

Nuclear Defense Treaty with GDR. I find it interesting how all the Marxist-Leninist states feel the need to put democratic or people's in their name.

BoP9.jpg

Since I wasn't given anything specific to do about destabilizing Mexico I've opted the safest route.

BoP10.jpg

Once again I am told nothing specific so I go for the safest choice in helping poor wittle Poland.

BoP11.jpg

I've made the mistake of making a trade treaty with Sweden that I couldn't get out of. At this point I hope that the maps supplied to you guys will help in the decision making process.

At this point you guys should determine how many time I will have to tell America to fuck off before backing down. I trust you will not desire nuclear war.

Infantryman

Scholar
When U.S. starts whining, back down immediately. Both Mexico and Saudi Arabia are solid USA and I suppose they are determined to go nuclear rather than surrender them (especially considering the EXTREME difficulty level), so persisting on these issues can only increase our prestige loss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom