Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A philosophical discussion of speedrunning

I disagree with the thesis presented by OP.

However it is true that long running specialized communities do seem to have a weird way of constantly distilling and concentrating leftism.

From a game theory perspective this leads me to believe leftist tendencies have some advantage in taking control of communities.

Cazzeris

I can't get tired of watching speedrun analysis. It's like a mix of science, athleticism and videogames. It's a game itself to figure out the rules behind gameplay logic and exploits, full of collaborative effort and breakthroughs.

It's not sillier than playing the intended way: you put a virtual playground in front of some dude... who's to say he'll have enough with the scripted appeal?

It's a more fake form of entertainment than ordinary gaming, and less self aware. It lives on the shadow of game design, forever inspired by beta testing and speed challenges. Only enjoyment matters, so I'd say that if you feel good doing whichever, you lose the right to criticize the other

toughasnails

Think about the phrase "fully automated luxury Communism" in the context of "speedrunning" and I strongly suspect that things will start to 'click' in your mind.

It doesn't?
Does anyone actually understands what the OP is getting at?

Cazzeris

If there are speedrunners who kill themselves, dye their hair or whatever, that's because they're people. There have been plenty of crazy shit in science, sports and videogames, so a combination of the three won't be exempt.

There's crazy shit everywhere, now that I think of it. And it's only growing, I understand that outcasts would flock to the new things because maybe they won't be judged there.

Fuck Communism and fuck political prejudices. That guy from Twitter has a very ridiculous outlook on life. It's the same shitty theories over and over

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I don’t think there’s an issue with trying to beat a game fast (like idk a platformer or if it’s for some random achievement). Playing a game a million times to get one second faster is absolutely retarded.

Think about the phrase "fully automated luxury Communism" in the context of "speedrunning" and I strongly suspect that things will start to 'click' in your mind.

It doesn't?
Does anyone actually understands what the OP is getting at?

It's in the post above it.

The answer is quite obvious if you think about it. The goal is the illusion of speed and the desire (SUBCONSCIOUS) to promote radical leftist, borderline Communist ideals of how easy work is. Everyone always says that "speedruns" look easy. That is part of the aesthetic.

He's mistaken, though. The cause for both is autism.

Silentstorm

Learned
Never understood the appeal of speedrunning, and only some games are fun to watch in a speedrun sense, the only genre it would make sense for are racing games...even then, it kinda feels like only the Mario Kart series gets speedrunners...i guess fans of every other racing game franchise just post their records on time trials in a competition sense and don't call it speedrunning?

Then again, was never much of a challenge gamer, and if there is way too much stuff, hardly go for 100% so i guess speedrunning was always going to be something i can't understand the appeal of.

Still, i feel like every hobby has people of all kinds when it comes to political beliefs, it's just one side tends to be a lot more vocal about it when people generally don't want to talk about politics when it comes to hobbies, people just want to relax and have fun, then again, i am pulling from what i have seen, i have not tried every hobby out there or seen the communities they form, who knows, maybe no one in the Origami community cares at all about left or right...but considering what i have seen of the world, i doubt it.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Ah yes, "the envious losers of codex hate things which don't fit in their shallow view on the world and computer games in particular" number over9000.

Too weak and cowardly to combat AAA industry, too lazy and incompetent for making their own incline, yet stupid enough to make their own dogma about "how people should play games" and fanatically lashes out on anybody who does not fit.

RPG is about choice to build your character stats/playstyle/story whatever, yet somehow on RPG Codex some people have audacity to start hysteria about "evul people playz gaymes fast is bad, mkay?"
Seriously, stop acting stupid, you brick headed morons. All hobbies have their annoying part of audience, yet the sheer existence of such marginal group DOES NOT mean that entire thing should be prohibited/banned.

At least speedunners actually play and finish games at least once, but I can't say the same thing about some codexers - who only pretend to play games while endlessly spam nazi/fascist/communist crap or asinine conspiracy theories.

Poseidon00

Arcane
"True classical liberal. Center left" indeed. Blurs the line between parody and reality. I really can't tell which it is.

Gastrick

Cipher
All of the big speedrunners that I know of don't talk about politics or social issues.

Last edited:
Finally! A reason to post this rant.

The only thing more degenerate than speedrunning games is making youtube videos about your opinions of other people speedrunning games.

The only thing more degenerate than making youtube videos about your opinions of other people speedrunning games is posting on obscure RPG forums about your opinion on other people making youtube videos about their opinions of other people speedrunning games.

Degeneracy inception. Inceperacy.

It doesn't matter because Rinslin Merwind just blew us both out, all hail the new Kang of degeneracy.

Gastrick

Cipher
For me, I admire speedrunning because of the difficulty of getting good at it and the skill shown by the experts. Anything that you need to grind at over 1000s of hours so you can beat others and become the best is praiseworthy. The struggle of competition and repeated self improvement being fought against and overcome.

Silentstorm

Learned
Won't lie and say i spent/spend all my time being productive or what not, but speedrunning just feels odd...but it's just a hobby honestly, one i can't see myself doing, but a hobby, and yeah, great speedrunners spend a ton of time playing the same game to get good at it.

I will say this, i mostly only find speedruns of very fast or hard games fun to watch, Kaizo Mario speedrunners are insane, besides that, i guess, oddly enough, watching people like Summoning Salt explain the history of a speedrun is more fun than watching an actual speedrun of the game he is talking about:

Which is basically a sub-genre of videos on Youtube oddly enough.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
^Please don't defend speedrunning if you're gonna be that retarded about it
I can defend whatever the fuck I want and however I want, the only people who is retarded here are assholes who pretends that speedruning is a problem and deserves several pages of hate.

"True classical liberal. Center left" indeed. Blurs the line between parody and reality. I really can't tell which it is.
Ah yes, that one guy who thinks political compass is some form astrology and he can characterize a person just by forum posts. You really need help.

all hail the new Kang of degeneracy.
Ah why, thank you, now please bow down to me and next time use "his majesty" while referring to me in third person. After all, if you gonna crown me as king (even degeneracy), you shall behave with due respect to me.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Anybody remember the arcades?Children wasting money to get their name in the high score.
Speedrunning is just a another version of that,but cheaper.

J1M

Arcane
Not if you apply any sort of value to your time.

Symptomatic of the clout-chasing, social media-addicted youth. The constant, hounding need to feel special and be validated by strangers.
Yeah, but speedruns seem like a very inefficient way to pursue that goal. You can impress tens of nerds with your speedrun high score, or just go hit yourself in the balls with a rubber mallet on tiktok for much less effort and thousands of times more followers.

Yeah, but speedruns seem like a very inefficient way to pursue that goal. You can impress tens of nerds with your speedrun high score, or just go hit yourself in the balls with a rubber mallet on tiktok for much less effort and thousands of times more followers.

That assumes they're trying to impress the general populace rather than "the gaming community". Speedrunning translates to clout from nerds, and nerds are the demographic they're courting. They identify as gamers™ themselves so it's a mark of pride to be praised by other gamers™ who understand how much no-lifing it took to master such a useless skill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom