Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Plague Tale: Innocence - Dodging Rats and Inquisitors in medieval France

cruel

Cipher
Finished playing this yesterday ($1 for 3 months of Game Pass).

I'm surprised to say that, but this was a very good game. Linear, and most of the gameplay pretty basic, but very well designed, with authors having clear idea about what they want to accomplish. The following was absolutely top notch:
- atmosphere
- music / sound effects
- immersion

Story was good, characters felt authentic, only few annoying segments. The game gave me much more good memories in 10h than Greedfall did in 26h (not that hard to accomplish, but still worth noting). Some of the moments in the game - combination of what's happening, atmosphere, music, etc. are really amazing. Worth playing just for expierience.

Also - if was afraid that the little kid will be annoying, but surprisingly it was OK. If you like the atmosphere of Planescape: Torment (mortuary in the beginning), parts of Hellblade or even New Vegas: Dead Money, you will like this. 8/10, one of the best games of 2019 for me (along with new Fire Emblem and Sekiro).

Music sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7WpiPBeMJM&list=RDSBUeNPdcapc&index=4

And again, this can be played almost for free now using XBox Game Pass for PC.

Stanislavsky

Novice
Just finished it, amazing, dark, and sometimes a bit brutal single-player stealth-adventure set in thee 13 century in France.

How do you like the story and the ending?

Deleted member 7219

I liked the game too. I really liked the main character. Good voice actress. I thought her little brother was a prick for most of the game so I wasn’t fond of him. Art design was excellent. Music set the tone well. The central gameplay gimmick never get old for me. I enjoyed the combat too, which was basically ‘get into melee and you’re dead’, which is absolutely right for a game where you play a teenage girl.

I thought the ending could have been better, I guess that whole sequence left me a bit disappointed as I didn’t really think the game was building up to that and it just got a bit TOO supernatural for me.

The game gave me a hunger for more action/adventure games set in medieval Europe, but it doesn’t seem like there are many. Plenty set in fantasy worlds but not many set in the real world with weird stuff happening like this.

Stanislavsky

Novice
Yes, I feel the same. The ending was a bit supernatural. And, there are rumors for a II part of the game, in 2022 :)

vota DC

Augur
Finished it. Fun game but no C&C storywise and often there is only one way to complete any section.
They sometimes give you the choice between stealth and killing: you will see many vases to smash to distract the guards.....but if you kill guards then looting it is easier and you can upgrade your character. You won't kill any guard with helmet for most game. One chapter you escape from an english military camp and you can murder everyone because english people while less evil seems more stupid and never wear helmets....other people will also comment something "trolololo you are trying to destroy an army by yourself"....stones aren't rare (also often killed soldiers drop 3 stones), resources are.
Also game give you sense of urgency....no time to look around, you are chased and must escape blablabla....but sometimes is better to stop and explore.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I think praying to God to take care of your dead dog is disrespectful to your god. It's a fucking dog.

Annoyed that I have to use a controller due to the lack of walking with a keyboard. Becoming more common, this or walk being toggle only.

Ezekiel

Arcane
God damn it, third person stealth-action had so many interesting places to go after those first Metal Gear Solid games and Splinter Cell, but all we get now is crouch everywhere (Ridiculous how fast I'm spotted when I stand.). throw a rock and tall grass everywhere. They never think outside the box. I guess they feel they can't because players already struggle with the same gameplay loop they repeat in every other modern game.

The rocks are used so stupidly too. Soldier investigates a highlighted item that I was supposed to throw a rock at, like it's even possible for a person to hide in that tin up there:

lreRjWz.jpg

Then he says with no one around, "Nothing to report," like he has a radio! Always stuuuupid enemies with myopic vision.

Wish developers realized how tiresome it is to only see the player character's back. I miss good cutscenes and "fixed" cams. Game would have benefited from both.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Running away from soldiers, with little brother's legs below bottom of screen. It's impossible for him to keep up with her pace. That's why you can't see his legs. They couldn't be bothered to make her give him a piggyback ride.

trkUDTc.jpg

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Elaborating on how fixed cams would have helped, with the over the shoulder standard you can't even see what the developers intended to be seen, which is why they need to put that R3 to focus option in the corner of the picture whenever there is something of interest.

I entered this area from here. It was a dead end. Couldn't turn right in there.

jw3Ipt5.jpg

Went ahead to this highlighted item.

mBCN2Hg.jpg

Girl started yelling for help again, some old lady shouted back for her to go away. Only then did I see R3 and the camera turned towards a window that she was in, up there:

kVwNgqG.jpg

If I walked into this section from a "fixed" camera, the cam could have looked towards that wall and the window in it from the unused side of the alley.

I hate this idea that over the shoulder is cinematic. As if movies are only shot behind the shoulder.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Happened with ANOTHER person in a window, not three minutes later! She talked to someone and I didn't know who until he almost closed the window. Every game doesn't need to be OTS or FPV. Stop it!

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing this via PS+, updated version or whatever. Seems like an okay movie experience, but I wouldn't call it an amazing game. Good presentation, and good atmosphere. I'm only in chapter 2, so far.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Game design is so insipid. Use workbenches in Last of Us, expect it to be in every other adventure a couple of years later. Add the walking and talking (solitary adventures becoming the exception in the AAA space), relegation of storytelling to codex collectibles that I'm never gonna read, over the shoulder cam, tall grass everywhere, mandatory crouch, and it feels so by the numbers. So artless. You can clearly see that when it comes to mechanics and general game structure team members don't toss ideas at each other or think about what will work best. They simply go through a list of current things to maximize profits. But isn't it shortsighted? Missing the forest for the trees? I mean, if they made something more unique from current thing and it was intelligently put together, then their game would be the only one of its kind on the market and more players would gravitate towards it, rather than being one of many that essentially play the same way.

The sling, your sole weapon, is both clunky and overpowering. You can just one-shot everybody who is in your way in the head, as long as you can switch throwables quickly enough with R1 and right stick and don't confuse L2 (hard throw) with L1 (light throw). It auto-targets the head for you. I think ranged weapons have always overpowered you in stealth games. Look at how much easier the Metal Gear Solid sequels were with all those guns and first person aiming. It was one of the biggest criticisms at the time against The Twin Snakes. They kept the same level structure of the original MGS, but overpowered you with first person shooting (and the tranq gun). Ranged weapons need to be pretty limited and need to be balanced with better close quarters mechanics. It shouldn't be as easy as simply grabbing them from behind and snapping their necks or stabbing them in the throat. Also wanna see more quick movement in stealth, balanced by more capable enemies. If I made a stealth-action game more about sneaking than fighting, I'd probably make the guy or girl barefooted.

Ezekiel

Arcane
These kinds of games don't give you enough time to figure out how to progress before the characters start commenting on the solutions. I see nothing in the settings that would disable that, other than of course muting all speech.

Dumb how everything that hangs just happens to hang from a kind of lock that you can break by throwing a rock. Including people/bodies.

Ezekiel

Arcane

I think the main problem with the cliche video game dream that became so common after the Far Cry 3 hallucinations is that it's always too obvious. Dreams are weird, but not so totally removed from your waking experiences. Your friends and family don't act like this in your dreams, ever. If dreams really were like this, you would wake up. As soon as a dream becomes too obvious, I realize that I'm dreaming and wake up. I have never played a video game dream and thought for a second that the character was awake. That's a problem.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm playing as the boy now. Look at how small he is. I know developers can't conceive of sneaking without the ridiculous crouch, but you can't tell me that people would hear a child this small the second he stands up. You don't even need to take a step. The second you press the crouch/stand button, they notice you. They could have given the kid his own playstyle.

child.jpg

Last edited:

Stanislavsky

Novice
Amazing game, I finished it when it came out.
But, still not in a hurry to try the second one. I feel this game didn't need a sequel.
What have you thought about the sequel game?

Stanislavsky

Novice
What's the problem with what I said?
Personally, I feel this game didn't need a sequel.

But, still asked this honorable forum opinion about it ;)

Machocruz

Arcane
I didn't play the original, but the slow walking and talking segments in Requiem killed for me what was otherwise a decent, mainstream stealth adventure.. I felt the stealth was fairly rigorous relative to other AAA games that aren't MGSV. The sling is pretty powered, but knocking guys out often made things more difficult than if i had just ghosted through, as you can't hide bodies. Guards spotting a body will trigger changes in their route, which provides some unpredictability, again relative to general popamole field. Puzzles were fine, more involving than the likes of Uncharted or Numb Raider.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom