Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Proposal Regarding Newfag Access and Entrance Fees

Citizen

Shoutbox and GD's main purpose is to keep nutters away from the main forums, with 5$ tips for DU being just a pleasant little bonus. If you increase the entrance fee to ludicrously large 100$, you will make all those newcoming weirdos flood the gaming forum instead of their containment zone

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxie

The administration is neither willing nor able to straight up delete GD because the spillover to gaming forums would be ever more obnoxious than it is currently, given that the vast majority of users does not actively play games anymore and posts about vague reminiscences of games they played quite some time ago

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Shoutbox and GD's main purpose is to keep nutters away from the main forums, with 5$ tips for DU being just a pleasant little bonus. If you increase the entrance fee to ludicrously large 100$, you will make all those newcoming weirdos flood the gaming forum instead of their containment zone

Its possible to view GD as containment but I feel it attracts more idiots than it 'contains'. And eventually it becomes like a petri dish that spills over, there is clearly negative feedback between GD and other boards.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I thought the Shoutbox was bugged for me at first, I kept trying to find a textbox to type in. I went through four browsers thinking that was the issue, I even googled it, but nothing came up, nothing made sense. I thought it was actually a clever tease, none of those posters were real, they were just advanced AI to make things look booming. I gave up on it. People also talked about General Discussion but it was blank to me. Maybe everyone but me was undergoing some sort of telepathic derangement or the advanced AI had glitches in their code from years ago a neglectful developer forgot to remove.

Then one day in February of our lord 2019 I woke up, was doing one of those stereotypical scenes of brushing my teeth while checking the internet out, after sorting through my ten Dreed brofists and 8 new Funny ratings I saw that my scroll bar could... scroll further. I saw it all now. I saw Codex as it was intended. Then I rapidly went back to check and... THE SHOUTBOX was unlocked. I spat foamy toothpaste out on my monitor as I loudly bellowed out the first words to come to my mind, "MORTAL KOMBAT." I felt triumphant. I unlocked the key to the city.

Suffice to say, I go around now flexing this accolade on any and all that care to listen. I even made it into a business card that reads, "I have Shoutbox and GD access. Do you?" Times New Roman on beige in case you're wondering. I neglected to wipe my screen immediately of the discarded Colgate toothpaste and try as I might I cannot get the streaks of white off it, but it serves as a reminder to me now. Every time I see that whitened shine it tells me, "you did it kid, you made it."

It also has the side effect of telling other people I can't control myself. And that I may have a very impressive ejaculatory spray.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Its possible to view GD as containment but I feel it attracts more idiots than it 'contains'. And eventually it becomes like a petri dish that spills over, there is clearly negative feedback between GD and other boards.
This was true when it was viewable to the public, but it's been hidden away for years now.

What draws the idiots is the obvious side the community has taken in the culture wars, and there's no way to hide that no matter how many off-topic derails get put into gaming drama. :M

Citizen

Yes, you are right, but just deleting it would do more harm than good at this point, because the dedicated GD posters would stay and just start littering the videogame boards instead. The problem isn't in GD itself, but in people who post there

Actually in that light Crispy's post has a point. If GD creates a positive feedback loop ( the more people shitpost in GD, the more shitposters it attracts -> more people shitpost in GD ), and deleting it is not an option, then a 100$ paywall would at least stop it from growing, while still containing its current population away from the main boards

Bigg Boss

Arcane
You could ban them. Banning faggots is always a good answer to the problem. Then when someone whines about their butt buddy heroin addict getting banned, you can ban them too to set an example. Because contrary to popular belief, leaving shit tier posters on the site is not a cool "Free Speech" thing to do. Being 14 isn't an excuse for turning a pretty good RPG site into /pol central. It infects everyone. It's boring.

Who wants to read two fags bickering non stop for pages on end because they are so mentally deranged they never shut the fuck up? If it's about a video game maybe but it's usually not. Sure, you can use the ignore button, until other people get involved and start quoting said assholes, derailing the whole thread anyway. Usually these people never talk about video games though. If they do it's moron shit like Doom Eternal.

How do we solve this without banning people? You don't. Codex has issues with exerting authority due to all the free speech/censorship fags. Instead of banning people you give them cute little tags like DUMBFUCK which I am sure makes them even nicer to everyone, or you ban them for a week then they come back just as retarded as before...It's hilarious for certain but it doesn't solve the problem. Granted it's not much of a problem. If /pol spills into gaming forums and the mentally ill poster does not relent, but they are still salvageable as a human being, then they should be sent to General Discussion permanently. Maybe that will solve it. That place is the wild west anyway.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I was very disappointed with the amount of harassment received during my first year. Full on expected a drill sargeant from Full metal jacket, but instead all I have to show for is friendly and brofists from Manjusri and Dreed. I'd like to think my deeply ingrained disdain for PoE had something to do with it.

I'd like to say there's this powerful aura exuding power to hate that we all love, but apart from the few worthy champions of hate showing up in DE threads, there are far too many weak, Outter Worlds loving complainers. It's like listening to Grampa complaining about the lawn. Sure there occasional hate for Beamdog, but that's easy pickings. Let's go back to hating with passion together bros. No homo.

Murk

Arcane
This was true when it was viewable to the public, but it's been hidden away for years now.

What draws the idiots is the obvious side the community has taken in the culture wars, and there's no way to hide that no matter how many off-topic derails get put into gaming drama. :M

Yeah. At some point this place became more than cRPG grognards complaining about RTwP and Oblivion. The state of online discourse is weak, and the few places that allow for foul language end up over-filled with shitposters who otherwise have nothing to contribute -- for where else would they go? And worse yet, as the limit of what is bannable or not expands, things that otherwise are fine are now within the verboten range.

SausageInYourFace consider that your opening line in this thread was " Crispy is a faggot..." which while true and important to note, would get you banned from so many other RPG or gaming related fora.

It's the price we pay. Besides, even the olde timers have given in. To some extent shitposting is just how people interact on the internet in a modal sense.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
How about tying ShoutBox access into the Kodex Kool Kredits-system?

Just purge away the blatantly stupid entries in the system, put on a 1500-Kredit minimum requirement and the problem should resolve itself fairly quickly.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Make it like loot boxes. This is what people like these days:
  • $5.00 Kodex Kool Kit - 24h access to shoutbox and 50 posts on any forum. You also earn a random tag and 1 new random button;
  • $10.00 Kodex Kool Kit - 48h access to shoutbox and 100 posts on any forum. You also earn a random tag and 2 new random buttons;
  • $25.00 Kodex Kool Kit - 96h access to shoutbox and 250 posts on any forum. You also earn 2 random tags and 6 new random buttons;
  • $50.00 Kodex Kool Kit - 1 month access to shoutbox and 500 posts on any forum. You also earn 4 random tags and 12 random new buttons;
  • $100.00 Kodex Kool Kit - 6 month access to shoutbox and 1000 posts on any forum. You also earn 4 random tags, 15 new random buttons and a special golden fist (which can be used up to 10 times);
  • $200.00 Kodex Kool Kit - 1 year access to shoutbox and unlimited posts on any forum for up to 1 year. You also earn 8 random tags, all buttons and a special golden fist (which can be used up to 25 times);
Purchasing any Kodex Kool Kit also unlocks unlimited read only functionality to shoutbox and GD. This is necessary to keep them interested and buying.

Corvinus

Arcane
Why did you rate my proposal as
rating_retarded.png
, smaugma? You are one of the better newfags. Which says a lot.

Beastro

Arcane
Crispy stirring the pot again?

Has it been that big a lull in drama lately?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom