Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News A Quest That Became Legend is an open world blobber coming early 2023

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: A Quest That Became Legend; Neon Light Studio

Last year we spotted an upcoming new RPG called A Quest That Became Legend. It's a non-grid based open world blobber with turn-based combat, in which the player leads a party of four characters on a quest to "defeat the dark conjurers" and save the world. Despite the abundance of gameplay footage on the game's YouTube channel, we don't really know much about it. It does look pretty nice, though. This weekend the anonymous developer, who goes under the title of Neon Light Studio, finally launched the game's Steam page and put together a proper trailer. Check it out:

A Quest That Became Legend is a game inspired by old school RPG classics, with turn based combat and an open world environment. Set out on an epic quest to defeat the dark conjurers and save your world from destruction.

Explore the lands and venture into different crypts, dungeons, and many other places to battel all kinds of monsters, and maybe find yourself some shiny treasures or some strong magical items. Create a party of 4 heroes and up to 4 different hero classes, all with unique skills and abilities. Help the people you meet on your way, level up your characters and become a living legend as you quest to save the world.

Note: Game is in late development, but some changes may still occur. UI visuals are probably going to get updated. If and when changes occur the store page will be updated to reflect the latest version.​

According to its Steam page, A Quest That Became Legend is scheduled for release early next year. We'll continue to keep an eye on it.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
That fucking UI needs to be completely revamped. Shit like this makes me really cautious about the overall product. Feels like as if they bought all the assets from the 3D market of their choice to create this nice looking scenery, and then found out that they actually have to have some kind of artistic integrity to create a nice looking 2D UI.

:prosper::prosper::prosper:

Kruyurk

Learned
m0zHA0v.png

Hello stranger, looking for something ?

I9XeBb6.png

Hey, the eyes are up here! Please stay focused!

i0z0v9d.png

Yeah, Dad says I am not allowed to leave the house without wearing my "wizard" belt. Considering how you ogle me up and down he is probaly right.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
That fucking UI needs to be completely revamped.
I agree it looks like shareware from 1994, but they do say on their Steam page that this likely to change.

"Game is in late development, but some changes may still occur. UI visuals are probably going to get updated. If and when changes occur the store page will be updated to reflect the latest version."

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
All these recent dungeon crawler announcements make me depressed. This is a far cry from Legend of Grimrock released in 2012, which pretty much set the standard for modern dungeon crawlers. Yes, graphics aren't everything, but these screenshots don't inspire much confidence; at the very least whoever did the graphics didn't have much taste.

Mortmal

Arcane
Doesnt look especially bad, looks playable, i dont see it bringing anything new nor doing something classic perfectly. 4 classes for 4 heroes that's not much, zero character building expected. But to be fair if it was some codexers pet project everyone would congratulate them.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Doesnt look especially bad, looks playable, i dont see it bringing anything new nor doing something classic perfectly. 4 classes for 4 heroes that's not much, zero character building expected. But to be fair if it was some codexers pet project everyone would congratulate them.
Well, maybe, but the screenshots of Cleve's dungeon crawler prototype look a lot better; those actually got me excited about his project. He also had this relatively unique feature of being able to recruit a pet for the party — well, that's something at least.

DemonKing

Arcane
All these recent dungeon crawler announcements make me depressed. This is a far cry from Legend of Grimrock released in 2012, which pretty much set the standard for modern dungeon crawlers.
Yes it was a shame Grimrock 2 didn't do as well as the first. I've played quite a lot of crawlers on Steam since then and nothing has really come up to that standard.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
All these recent dungeon crawler announcements make me depressed. This is a far cry from Legend of Grimrock released in 2012, which pretty much set the standard for modern dungeon crawlers.

Grimrock was grid-based and real-time, this isn't, those two games play completely different and have completely different requirements. Visuals look fine to me, especially since it looks like a one-man project

Codex Year of the Donut

Grimrock was grid-based and real-time, this isn't, those two games play completely different and have completely different requirements. Visuals look fine to me, especially since it looks like a one-man project
agreed, grimrock was in the DDR genre

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it me or does the free movement in the video seem... off? It doesn't appear very smooth and looks "janky" when turning. Hopefully this issue is still to be optimized. Also, can't wait to turn off that hideous enemy outlining!!! :killitwithfire:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Anyway, I like outside visuals so thats a plus for me. I haven't followed this much.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Only 3 videos atm.

Seems pretty tight lipped on developement except it is in late stages. Twitter & steam don't reveal much new.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw, what gets me excited in terms of graphics when it comes to "nuskool-retro" dungeon crawlers is Betrayed (a game currently in development from the same small Hungarian studio who brought us The Quest).

It's colourful, but not garish; high-resolution and detailed, but without that *awful* watercoloury/sketchy feel so many high-res modern indie games have; and it retains that unmistakable oldschool feel while still bringing something new and interesting to the table.

(Yes yes, and I'm Hungarian too, thus biased...)

fVUtuKX.jpg

4tfRB2b.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I noticed i had this on gog and one expansion. Then I checked IOS and it seems there are other expansions. Since i have an ipad and my D2 refunded. I'll pick it up on ios.

Wasn't there a thread on The Quest here at the codex? I can't find it.

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

This game's UI is an interesting mix between Lands of Lore and Might & Magic VI. I dig it.
More like a cross over of Eye of the beholder and land of lore UI nothing like might and magic there.

Well, a little bit! As soon as I saw the font used in the Create a Party screen I had to think of M&MVI. It's the same font but in Italic.

vmwZc8.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom