Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A "Rifts" CRPG . . .

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Would make me pee my pants. That is all.

Baron

Arcane
I just can't get into my RPG mixing genres.* A world with magic and mechs is like a midori and stout breezer.

Rifts was okay, I wasn't a fan but my friends loved it. We played many PnP campaigns, all amoral. The assortment of PCs was always fun with everyone joining the high fatality party, borgs, crazies, juicers, black faeries and, as there must always be one, an annoying glitterboy pilot.

The Coalition States was prophetic, and some of the artwork was excellent. I mean who didn't want an Atlantean blind woman?

riftspic1.jpg

* Warhammer aside, it had a strong and unique theme

Baron

Arcane
Yeah, it was shocking powergaming. My first char was a spy with a pistol. Beside me stood our worst regular party powergamer in a glitterboy mechsuit firing supersonic anti-tank slugs.

Just did a search looking for a Rifts game for the N-Gage - Rifts: Promise of Power. It was supposed to be pretty good.

Also, Jerry Bruckheimer had optioned a Rifts movie since 2004, keeps getting renewed with nothing in sight. The latest writer turns out to have a great resumé for the science fiction task, he wrote and directed Dodgeball. I fucking love that stupid movie. Killer cast, and constant groin damage. *thumbs up*

Rifts isn't exactly Arthur C Clarke. It's fun when it's violent and it's stupid. Who better than Bruckheimer and the creator of Dodgeball : The Movie? Hope it materialises.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Rifts done Morrowind-style -- huge open world, fairly ambivalent lack of direction, basically an excuse to go wander around in shit -- with better player mechanics and awesome combat would let me die a happy man. And I'm a very unhappy man lately. :(

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
I would also like to see a Warhammer 40k RPG. I'm surprised there isn't one already.

Baron

Arcane
Stop being unmanly. Whilst the Warhammer universe delivers some of the greatest lines for roleplayers it's foremost a game about crushing hordes of enemy beneath your mailed fist.

It's a combat HEAVY game with RPG garnish. Creating any extended dialogue that could not be shouted over the sound of artillery barrages and constant machine gun fire is an affront to the immortal Emperor.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
You could keep the RPG elements while mowing down hordes of Tyranids. I don't see the contradiction. DoW II had some very low-level RPG type elements, I could easily envision an expansion of that.

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
I would kill to make this a reality.

It would be horrendously unbalanced, of course, assuming any adherence to the PnP rules. But it would be so fucking cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom