Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A rpg game based on old cabalist magic thome

Hello. I had an idea to make a game about using old cabalistic magic, based on book I found. The book is written by european mage and cabalist of past. I will post details.The core idea is, there are letters in alphabet and each contributes to some kind of spell. Each letter has color and certain oscilation. It is possible to use single letters, or combinations for more advanced spells. Each combination has certain effect, which is described in the book in detail. Now I would need a team of dedicated people to work on this, although I might be able to do it on my own with suitable production software. Please share your ideas in the thread.

here is an example >

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
[Tone: G... Color: light blue... Element: Air... #: 1... Organ: Lungs, breasts...]

Akasa:In the akasa principle, "A" symbolizes the highest wisdom and the highest illumination that may ever be lavished on a human being. At the same time, it represents the purity of all ideas in all forms of existence.

Mental: In the mental plane, the "A" represents, as a fundamental feature, the enlightened mind. All the parallels that may be drawn to the enlightened mind such as reasoning, perception, the cognition of the most profound truths, highest knowledge, high intelligence, the arousing of all intellectual faculties, etc., are expressed, in the mental world, by the "A" and its oscillation.

Astral: All talents, qualities and abilities that are subject to the air principle, e.g., musical gift, eloquence, poetic talent, &c., may be evoked in the astral kingdom by the use of letter "A". In respect to the occult faculties there are, apart from others, clairvoyance, clairaudience, the art of levitation, the control of the air element and its beings, i.e., in the kingdom of the elements as well as in the astral kingdom; further, the control of all powers analogous to the air principle and occurring in the astral world. Also the language of symbols and its command and power may be attained by letter "A".

Material: In the material world, the control of the air principle and all its analogies may be achieved by letter "A", no matter whether it is the control of the air spirits or the command of storms, &c. By the quabbalistic utterance of letter "A", a doctor or non-medical practitioner may successfully treat any chest trouble.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
An ideas guy with a half-baked concept, no experience in the field, nor a roadmap its development? This project is bound for greatness.
All he needs is a bit of help and we're all millionaires, don't you get it!?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
By the quabbalistic utterance of letter "A", a doctor or non-medical practitioner may successfully treat any chest trouble.
The core idea of cabbalistic magic is that there are secret Names of God, and they all have different effects, so they're like spells. The tetragrammaton is the most famous example. "A" is not a word.

The shortest effective Name of God is the Tetragrammaton. This was the Name recorded in the Bible, the one the High Priests of Israel would speak in the Temple of Solomon. The rabbis said it was so holy that God would smite any impure person who said it. Some of them went on wild flights of raptures about the holiness of this Name, said it was the Shem haMephorash, the holiest Name of all.

In these more enlightened times, we know better. We call it the Mortal Name, and it just so happens to be a Name whose power is to kill the speaker. As the shortest Name, it kept working long after the flow of divine light into the universe had dropped to a trickle; there were records of men dying by speaking the Mortal Name as late as Jesus’ time. If the kabbalists had just said “Yup, Names do lots of things, this one kills whoever says it,” then there would have been no problem, but this was back when Rabbi Shimon was working on the Zohar and the kabbalists were still underground, sometimes literally. So instead everybody assumed a Name powerful enough that God smote anyone who said it must have been very important, and people kept trying to say it to prove their holiness and kept dying.

They worked out this whole horrible system. On Yom Kippur, the High Priest would go into the Holy of Holies in the Temple, place his hands upon the Ark of the Covenant, and speak the Tetragrammaton. The theory was that if the holiest person went into the holiest place on the holiest day and touched the holiest thing, maybe that would be enough holiness to speak the Tetragrammaton and live to tell about it. Did it work? The Bible is silent on the subject, but Rabbi Klass of Brooklyn points out that during the 420 years of the Second Temple, there were three hundred different High Priests, even though each High Priest was supposed to serve for life. Clearly, High Priests of Israel had the sorts of life expectancies usually associated with black guys in horror movies. Also, some medieval manuscripts mention that the High Priest would have a rope tied around his leg at the time, to make it easier for his flock to drag his body out after he died.

The Jews naturally got a little bit spooked about the Tetragrammaton after a few centuries of this sort of thing, and the rabbis decreed that any time you needed to use the Tetragrammaton, you should instead substitute the totally different word “A—-i”. And then when you were going to say “A—-i” you should substitute that with “HaShem”, so as to stay two semantic steps away from the Tetragrammaton at all times. If they could have, they would have demanded that “HaShem” be replaced with something else too, except that “HaShem” literally just meant “the Name” and so was already maximally vague.

Read Unsong and forget about making games for 10 years. Revisit the idea of game development then with your new life insights.

Another snippet>

K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K [ Tone: B.. Color: Silver blue.. Element: Fire.. #: 20 / 2.. Organ: Left ear.. ]

Akasa:In the akasa principle, the oscillation of letter "K" is the oscillation of omnipotence [qualitative form], which is also one of the four divine virtues. There, omnipotence manifests itself as the highest power imaginable. To the quabbalist who masters this oscillation this virtue will reveal itself as the all-embracing power by which he will be able to work direct miracles in the micro- as well as the macrocosm. This virtue is manifested in the akasa principle as the highest and purest light, which is analogous to the original fire principle.

Mental: In the mental world, this letter oscillation corresponds to the state of manifestation of faith. The quabbalist who is able to evoke the oscillation of letter "K" also in the mental body will achieve, as its result, a state of manifestation in which any idea, any wish, will at once become reality in whichever plane the quabbalist wants it to be realized.

Astral: In the astral body, this letter oscillation will evoke the virtue of courage with all its aspects such as endurance, toughness, etc.. The quabbalist is able to summon up great courage within himself and in other people and to overcome and remove any feelings of fear within himself or in his fellow men, just as he pleases. If he so wishes, he may also evoke and strengthen the instinct of self-preservation, either within himself or in other people; but also many other faculties that are analogous to courage, for instance, perseverance, patience, etc., may be attained by this letter oscillation.

Material: In the material world, this letter oscillation will evoke the faculty of becoming absolute master of all the terrestrial treasures. The quabbalist who masters this letter oscillation also in the material world will easily get everything that he wants either for himself or for his fellow men.

Harthwain

Magister
The core idea is, there are letters in alphabet and each contributes to some kind of spell. Each letter has color and certain oscilation. It is possible to use single letters, or combinations for more advanced spells. Each combination has certain effect, which is described in the book in detail.
My question would be: why do you think going into this level of detail is fun gameplay-wise?

In Death Gate you did piece together spells by combining runes, but:

1) You needed this for one puzzle, otherwise you were perfectly fine with using the automatic function (use Cold = cast Cold spell).
2) You couldn't discover new runes by combining them.

I timestamped the use of spell in the video below for easier reference:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The core idea is, there are letters in alphabet and each contributes to some kind of spell. Each letter has color and certain oscilation. It is possible to use single letters, or combinations for more advanced spells. Each combination has certain effect, which is described in the book in detail.
My question would be: why do you think going into this level of detail is fun gameplay-wise?

In Death Gate you did piece together spells by combining runes, but:

1) You needed this for one puzzle, otherwise you were perfectly fine with using the automatic function (use Cold = cast Cold spell).
2) You couldn't discover new runes by combining them.

I timestamped the use of spell in the video below for easier reference:

I can see the appeal of being able to create your own spells using a rune type system. I think one of the really old crpgs did it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Boy, people play games to have fun, not to spending effort in understanding what YOU spew forth as idea.

If you want people to be interested in YOUR idea, make a fun game first.

Like Morrowind. Its story and writings are nearly shit but I tolerate it, barely, because its gameplay is top of the line.

"What your magic is" is NOT a fun gameplay aspect, and not a central aspect of a game. it never was, on both counts.

What else do you have beside "What your cabalist magic is"? As content, I mean. story. background. characters. etc... ANYTHING? I dont even ask about coding or gameplay, just... content.

What you have is not even a page in gameplay element, section A - "Magic".

ValeVelKal

Arcane
New account created 2 days ago
User name : DeltaForce something
Has some idea that hold in 3 undecipherable lines
Additional details is just poorly written fluff
"I need a team of dedicated people"
"Of course I would do it myself [but my time is better spent in genius game design]

Who would not want to be dedicated to such a promising project ?

I work in video games and I have from time to time people telling me about their genius ideas; usually they belong to one of those categories :
- super-super realistic simulations of something niche ("my game is about realistically simulating a forest ecosystem. I envision at least 60 types of tree, lichen & mushroom management, full water cycle,...),
- whatever popular game exists, except grander ("Fortnite, but 2 000 simultaneous players, and the map is the size of Canada, but of course you can find vehicles. 250 different type of vehicles !"),
- my-job-is-so-cool-it-needs-a-dedicated-video-game - also don't gamify anything in it please that's NOT what a Real Estate agent is really doing

But this one proposal is at the same time different but bingo. The only thing missing to the usual list of such proposal is "I have no experience making video games, but a lot playing them".

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Hello. I had an idea to make a game about using old cabalistic magic, based on book I found. The book is written by european mage and cabalist of past. I will post details.The core idea is, there are letters in alphabet and each contributes to some kind of spell. Each letter has color and certain oscilation. It is possible to use single letters, or combinations for more advanced spells. Each combination has certain effect, which is described in the book in detail. Now I would need a team of dedicated people to work on this, although I might be able to do it on my own with suitable production software. Please share your ideas in the thread.

here is an example >

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
[Tone: G... Color: light blue... Element: Air... #: 1... Organ: Lungs, breasts...]

Akasa:In the akasa principle, "A" symbolizes the highest wisdom and the highest illumination that may ever be lavished on a human being. At the same time, it represents the purity of all ideas in all forms of existence.

Mental: In the mental plane, the "A" represents, as a fundamental feature, the enlightened mind. All the parallels that may be drawn to the enlightened mind such as reasoning, perception, the cognition of the most profound truths, highest knowledge, high intelligence, the arousing of all intellectual faculties, etc., are expressed, in the mental world, by the "A" and its oscillation.

Astral: All talents, qualities and abilities that are subject to the air principle, e.g., musical gift, eloquence, poetic talent, &c., may be evoked in the astral kingdom by the use of letter "A". In respect to the occult faculties there are, apart from others, clairvoyance, clairaudience, the art of levitation, the control of the air element and its beings, i.e., in the kingdom of the elements as well as in the astral kingdom; further, the control of all powers analogous to the air principle and occurring in the astral world. Also the language of symbols and its command and power may be attained by letter "A".

Material: In the material world, the control of the air principle and all its analogies may be achieved by letter "A", no matter whether it is the control of the air spirits or the command of storms, &c. By the quabbalistic utterance of letter "A", a doctor or non-medical practitioner may successfully treat any chest trouble.
This is your brain on drugs.

bionicman

Liturgist
Why do you think you're capable of making an RPG when you call them "RPG games"?

It is game idea. If it can take 20 years to develop, where is the problem? We have got plenty of time.

And you've got the right attitude. They key to indie game dev is persistence, especially when working alone. Don't let others tell you that something cannot be accomplished.

Depending on the complexity of this game you want to make, and the tools you pick, this can be done in a lot less than 20 years.

Check out this thread for advice: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/thinking-about-making-a-game.139368/

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Why do you think you're capable of making an RPG when you call them "RPG games"?

It is game idea. If it can take 20 years to develop, where is the problem? We have got plenty of time.

And you've got the right attitude. They key to indie game dev is persistence, especially when working alone. Don't let others tell you that something cannot be accomplished.

Depending on the complexity of this game you want to make, and the tools you pick, this can be done in a lot less than 20 years.

Check out this thread for advice: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/thinking-about-making-a-game.139368/
If Lucas Pope had come to me telling me he wants to do - alone - a game about a border guard in a totalitarian country, I would have mocked him endlessly - true. He pulled it off - with a lot of dev experience though, and more than one year.

vazha

Arcane
Hey guys, don't scare him away. Nice and easy does it - we'll be well supplied up until the harvesting season!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom