Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A suggestion one year later...

undertaker

Novice
I've been lurking around rpgcodex for a long long time now, and I cant help but notice the drop in its quality. Whatever happened to "all the thought people put into posts"? Why is it that every rpg related topic seems to end up with Exitium and a somewhat more intelligent person attacking each other's post and actually getting no where.

Yes, indeed, there had been a time (and I assure you it was a long long time age) when the posts in rpgcodex did get somewhere or atleast give insights to readers of the current state of the crpg industry or at the very least something substantial. But now I have to plow through all of Exitium's inconsistencies (not his stance but his arguments) and reading the same points mentioned again and again. Exitium is not intelligent, period. He hasnt a grasp of what role playing is about and is incapable of understanding, or atleast replying to, logical arguments. He feels bitter when codexers laugh at him and he tries to prove his intelligence whenever he can, which results in an argument that doesn't make sense. Even if this keeps forum activity high, it brings the quality low as well as wasting precious bandwidth.

I suggest that codex forum posters stop trying to argue with Exitium, allow his delusions to flow free, and make a petition suggesting the resignation of Exitium, for I believe he may just have enough dignity in him left to do so.

To me, rpgcodex WAS one of the few places where wise and intelligent comments on crpgs can be found. It WAS a haven for people like me to escape from the magnitude of shallow/narrow thinking of the today's soceity. I believe that if u dont waste your intelligence arguing with Exitium, it'll make for a better read. There are plently of forums that is perfectly fitting for someone like Exitium and there is no need for him to be here unless there is a dramatic increase in the amount of content, logic and understanding in his posts. I dont mind different opinions, i just prefer something insightful to back it up. I dont believe myself to be intelligent or knowledgable enough to post something worthwhile in rpgcodex, which is why i hadnt posted anything except this post and the one a year before. Perhaps someday Exitium will begin to understand his lack of understanding as well. Just my thoughts.

Editted paragraphs and word phrasing for clarity.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sadly, I have to agree. The quality has dropped, that's a fact. We've lost some good and interesting people like Psilon, Otaku, TriCritical, and many others. Those who stayed, who were once interesting contributors to discussions, mostly observe from a distance now. The number of people who post regularly and have something to say is dropping rapidly. Perhaps, the lack of decent RPGs is to blame, perhaps when Bloodlines and KOTOR 2 is released, people will come back and talk about games again. Perhaps not.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I suppose it's true, when even I have come to avoid some of the longwinded posts and threads here - simply due to not wanting to wade through some of the bullshit represented here (more and more) lately. Intelligence and opinion aren't measured in amount of qoutes, or how many letters you can cram into your posts for starters.

What happened to this place?

Ortchel

Liturgist
I'm sorry, I couldn't read your post.

Next time use paragraphs, please.

Edit: Okay, I managed to wade through it.

But isn't your post just contributing to the bullshit and negativity on the forum?

Anyway ..

Exitium, unlike most everyone else here, often is the only one with a shred of optimism about the future of CRPGs. I, at least, feel his presence is essential, if nothing else to keep the thread of the debate alive among the naysayers, who would all be content to bitch and moan about every upcoming release, based on their frustration over what they deem to be unsatisfactory sequels to '97's best'.

If you ask me, the constant Fallout masturbation around here is a lot more insipid and boring than Exitium's singular ability to move on from 1997 and remain hopeful for the future.

Besides that, he has a wealth of knowledge about other topics, namely history, which is often relevant in our discussions, especially those about medieval fantasy and it's historical ties, or lack thereof. Sure, because of his enthusiasm he draws a lot of fire on himself, which, consequently starts a lot of pissing contests, but I doubt you'll find that many others will see that as reason enough to call for his resignation.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Yeah I haven't TriC or Jed around in awhile it's a damn shame.
Undertaker please stick around you seem like an extremely observant individual.

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It is true that the quantity & quality of PC RPGs has dropped.

What WAS the last GOOD PC only RPG to be released? (I don't count KOTOR obviously) It seems to have slipped my mind...

I see more and more indy RPGs being covered in the Codex. They don't interest me. What about changing the content?

Console RPG news maybe...

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Barghest said:

Die.

On a related note with less drama in my corn flakes, I was pretty disapointed with Otaku_Hanzo going away.

As for changing the content of the site... what would you like to see changed? I think there are some things that could be done to spruce up the place a bit, but I'm not sure if they'd be implemented. The most obvious thing would be to add new content. Maybe more editorials, maybe more reviews of old games which seem to be pretty well liked but not covered (ie, Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape). Hell, even a bi-monthly newsletter in would be interesting, and a end-of-the-year *.pdf file with the highlights of the year (interviews, reviews, etc) would be nice.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Barghest said:
What WAS the last GOOD PC only RPG to be released?

Lets see. That of course depends on your definition, for the purposes of this reply I'll go by the broader defintion.

Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Arx Fatalis, Gothic 1 and 2 .. many here would also probably list Kult, which I thought was crap .. but anyway, there have been plenty of releases recently that are more than or at least 'good'.

Edit:
maybe more reviews of old games which seem to be pretty well liked but not covered

Whats the point of reviewing old games? As if they could even still be bought in stores, which I always thought was the point of reviews; to convince a buyer on the fence.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Which is why I was going "by the broader defintion".

There is of course also ToEE and Silent Storm, which I forgot to mention.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I don't think that the solution is to add more content, although that definitely wouldn't hurt, or to start covering more games. We did add several non-RPG forums, and I can't say that that affected the quality of discussions overall. The best and only solution would be to cultivate good discussions that attract better people, talking about game elements, design, story, char systems, discussing pros and cons, respecting opinions of those who have something to say, and flaming away 1-line idiots. I liked the discussions we've had in my GameDesign threads, I liked Role-Player's roundtable threads, Human Shield's design topics, Spazmo's discussions about RPG cliches, Deathy's discussion about maze as an entire setting, etc. Perhaps, if we more people contributed and started talking about interesting topics, about thought provoking issues, perhaps then things would be different.

Here is a good old discussion for some nostalgia
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=432

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Not enough interesting stuff to discuss?

Ethics;cloning, violence, sex, genocide in rpg's. how far can you go?

Religion; using existing religions, atheism, god as a viable npc. Religious dilemma's for the main character.

Truly new settings; the maze one was great to read. How about something completely alien? would it work or wouldn't people be able to relate to the game?

Real life rpg; wake up, go to work, have a fight with your boss, life, prosper, get poor. Fuck, the sims do it, why not an rpg?

Rpg gameing is dead in its current form; seems like more and more other game genres take rpg pieces and use them to create something very different. GTA, Deus Ex 2, hell even sport sims claim to have rpg elements. Where is my old dnd style game though?

Just some thoughts.
Cya,

Trash

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Whipporowill said:
Barghest said:
Best joke I heard all day. Saint loathes these games, and most everyone else on staff, except Rex - if I'm not misstaken. Ain't going to happen.

Pity. Should be enough to draw in some new blood to this site. Might even make the news a little more interesting then hearing about the last indy RPG with ASCII art...

Ortchel said:
Barghest said:
What WAS the last GOOD PC only RPG to be released?
Lets see. That of course depends on your definition, for the purposes of this reply I'll go by the broader defintion.

Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Arx Fatalis, Gothic 1 and 2 .. many here would also probably list Kult, which I thought was crap .. but anyway, there have been plenty of releases recently that are more than or at least 'good'

Don't talk to me about the Battlegrounds 'feature' on BD. DD was ultimately tedious.

AF was 'OK' but had a shit magic system. It was released on the XBOX too...

My favourite out of that list would be Gothic/Gothic 2 - But they had terrible combat systems.

Ortchel said:

ToEE - What a fucking joke. Combat engine looking for a game.

SIlent Storm - Not easily defined as a 'RPG' but was fun.

Any other contenders?

The Exar

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Sadly, I have to agree. The quality has dropped, that's a fact. We've lost some good and interesting people like Psilon, Otaku, TriCritical, and many others. Those who stayed, who were once interesting contributors to discussions, mostly observe from a distance now. The number of people who post regularly and have something to say is dropping rapidly. Perhaps, the lack of decent RPGs is to blame, perhaps when Bloodlines and KOTOR 2 is released, people will come back and talk about games again. Perhaps not.
I have the feeling, that you are ready to bury the CRPG genre! When i read this i felt sad... But have faith. In a computer games magazine in my country, there was a pool:
WHAT KIND OF GAMES DO YOU PLAY.
Well, in my country, 1st place - RTS, 2nd-3D actions, 3rd RPG`s! Thats proof enough, that the interest in RPGs isnt colapsing.
Sorry if i misundersanded you.....

Ortchel

Liturgist
Barghest said:
Don't talk to me about the Battlegrounds 'feature' on BD. DD was ultimately tedious.

AF was 'OK' but had a shit magic system. It was released on the XBOX too...

My favourite out of that list would be Gothic/Gothic 2 - But they had terrible combat systems.

Ortchel said:

ToEE - What a fucking joke. Combat engine looking for a game.

SIlent Storm - Not easily defined as a 'RPG' but was fun.

Any other contenders?

No one said you had to like them, your tastes are obviously very specific. Just trying to be helpful.

I never played ToEE or Silent Storm, myself. But in regards to AF's magic system, I thought it was pretty neat, drawing them onscreen and all, it was creative, though admittedly, I never played the game extensively.

trash said:
Rpg gameing is dead in its current form; seems like more and more other game genres take rpg pieces and use them to create something very different.

Look around you, this problem affects every creative business in the world.

But for the love of god, please don't start calling things 'dead', trash. I had enough of that alarmist rhetoric bullshit in the late 90s when rock 'died'.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The Exar said:
I have the feeling, that you are ready to bury the CRPG genre! When i read this i felt sad...
No, I'm not. What I said was mostly in regard to people who visit these forums, not in regard to the genre itself. The genre will survive even without our help. There were, are, and will be people who want to play CRPGs, and whenever there is a demand, there will be a supply.

Barghest

Augur
Patron
At the MOMENT PC RPGs are in decline. But things always work in cycles. l hope Vampire:Bloodlines will be the start of a new wave of GOOD PC RPGs.

What I'm worried about is the decline of the Codex. No decent fucking news. Nothing.

Diversify to survive chaps!

But please - No fucking MMORPG news, or I'll kill you myself ...:twisted:...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
trash said:
Rpg gameing is dead in its current form; seems like more and more other game genres take rpg pieces and use them to create something very different.

Look around you, this problem affects every creative business in the world.

But for the love of god, please don't start calling things 'dead', trash. I had enough of that alarmist rhetoric bullshit in the late 90s when rock 'died'.

Heh, see? It ain't that difficult to start an interesting discussion in the codex. I was just giving an example of something that people could talk about if they ran out of ideas for a discussion. :) Then again, I do believe that the rpg genre is going through a lull in these days, I just hope that we'll see some new great things in a few years.

The Exar

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
No, I'm not. What I said was mostly in regard to people who visit these forums, not in regard to the genre itself. The genre will survive even without our help. There were, are, and will be people who want to play CRPGs, and whenever there is a demand, there will be a supply.
"Putting 'role' back in RPG" - thats your motto/message. Most of my friends consider this forum as the best RPG forum ever. Do you think your (our) efforts are in vain? Do you think your (our) voice is heard of by the game devs? Haven`t the games become to comercial? Do the companies look for quick money, rather than quality?

I know i sound dramatic, but...
No hard feelings.

Seven

Erudite
Hold on a second; the codex has always been a news site, it was never meant to be content oriented. Where we used to shine was in our discussions, but that seems to have dropped; the solution isn't more content, it's to get rid of the stupidity; I don't know how to this though.

EDIT: you know Whip I looked through that link, and I saw at least 5 regulars who I haven't seen around here in months. Where is every one?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
To truly respond to the creator of this thread, I must say that I personally wonder why someone would deliberately make an attempt to goad me into flaming him. I won't do that. Instead, I'll let the current discussion continue, as it seems to be a tad more positive than what ever the poster intended to happen.

Irony.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Seems like this undertaker chump always has the same drivel to say and targets at least one regular poster as being "undersireable". Dare I say I smell a troll, or a running gag? Fun to see Ex go ballistic though. :lol:
Cya

Vault Dweller

Developer
Exitium said:
undertaker said:
*snip bullshit*

Why are you posting under a proxy?

I suspect this is either the work of Vault Dweller or Sheriff05. I see that whoever you are, you seem need to create fake accounts to 'bolster' your argument because nobody else will. Pathetic. How convenient that Vault Dweller replied only a few moments after this post was made.
Hahaha! I knew that you would say that because there is no way somebody else may think that Exitium is an idiot.:roll: What a jerk!

Edit: Also, Exitium, in case you didn't notice, I didn't jump at this opportunity to flame your stupid ass, but turned the discussion toward the quality of the site in general.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom