Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A suggestive suggestion for the forums.

Do you think my suggestion is a good idea?

• Yes, I'd love to see a place where the cream can rise to.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I hate all that good RPG discussion shit - I'm here for the tubgirls.

• Don't know, the codex stole my opinion.

• Total voters

Hazelnut

Erudite
I'd like to see a new forum set up. An opposite to RetardoLand in fact. A place where really good quality RPG discussions can go to be preserved for all time.

The reason I'm suggesting this is that I've missed a lot of good stuff over the years when I've been busy (anyone noticed that I'm not so busy at the moment, at work at least :roll:) and it would make it easier for people who are busy to see the good stuff. This has come to my attention when links to some quality threads get put in more recent ones.

Additionaly, it could also be a great place for newcomers to see what we really think about RPG's - what makes them good or bad etc. Really good threads could be stickied - like for instance, when Section8's series results in some kind of consensus on 'essential elements of role playing games' - an RPG definition that is general enough for most regulars here to agree on, in principle at least. This would help educate anyone who stumbles here as to what we're all about, without the current hazing of tubgirls et al.

Obviously it would need a moderator, someone who could be relied upon to objectivly select threads that deserve to be moved and do so. My vote would go to Section8, but we could have a poll or something.

It will also need a name, maybe NotRetardoLand? Seriously, I'm crap at naming stuff so I'm sure somebody can come up with a better suggestion.

H.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I guess we should conjugate some word with "Dictum".

Anyways, I love the idea. The only problem is that... well, Codex is very chaotic and many cool discussion may sometimes be hidden underneath not-so-very-appealing thread names (like, Yet another Oblivion Fanboi rant).
I guess it'd better to leave those good news discussion where they are and only move stand-alone threads concerning rpg design.

And yes, this is a good idea because General RPG Discussion is a very messy place, where completely noninformative (rpg design wise) topics get shuffled with the true jewels of our forum.

However, due to the chaotic nature of the forum, only the truely best threads should be separated from the masses, because otherwise you'll have to move a good half or even more of various threads to this new forum, because almost every one of them contains some insightful rpg discussions (that's the beauty of the codex).

Oh, and of course this new forum will disable any new threads starting, only posting in the existing ones, just as in the news comments section, otherwise it's of no use.
Also, whenver a thread is moved there, a remainder-linkie should be left in the originating forum, so thta people know where their thread went.

sheek

Arbiter
I think it's kind of a stupid idea. There are already forums for all kinds of discussion. By moving all the 'good' (what is 'good'?) discussion away you turn the rest of the forums into retardolands. There's no point reading or seriously discussing in the regular forums any more (or even less) and retardolandation spreads.

For 'really good' threads that people are going to want to see there is the sticky function, for 'classics' there are bookmarks.

And having a heavy handed moderator goes against the whole idea of these forums. Even though it's just in one forum it wouldn't work.

Hazelnut

Erudite
sheek said:
I think it's kind of a stupid idea. There are already forums for all kinds of discussion. By moving all the 'good' (what is 'good'?) discussion away you turn the rest of the forums into retardolands. There's no point reading or seriously discussing in the regular forums any more (or even less) and retardolandation spreads.

For 'really good' threads that people are going to want to see there is the sticky function, for 'classics' there are bookmarks.

And having a heavy handed moderator goes against the whole idea of these forums. Even though it's just in one forum it wouldn't work.

What I was thinking is a very low number of old threads - you know, the really top notch (good just isn't good enough I guess) ones that are buried deep in General RPG or News. I think there are too many to sticky, and that would also allow new posts to them. An AntoRetardoLand forum sould be locked, and probably all threads moved there should be locked too. It's more of an archive of the top class, focussed discussions upon RPG's that do occur on the site. I do not mean the topics that went off topic and contans a couple of posts arguing the toss over whether the sky is blue.

Heavy handed moderator is not good and that's not what I had in mind. No more than the current moderation for Retardo Land is. The only difference is that threads should not be moved until they're not on the front page of a forum, and we have a member of the community that everyone respects as a not-too-rabid, knowledgable and intelligent discusser themselves.

I do take your point about the dangers though sheek - and I'm glad you raised the issues.

metallix said:
Anyways, I love the idea. The only problem is that... well, Codex is very chaotic and many cool discussion may sometimes be hidden underneath not-so-very-appealing thread names (like, Yet another Oblivion Fanboi rant).
I guess it'd better to leave those good news discussion where they are and only move stand-alone threads concerning rpg design.

Yes exactly - and only the jewels. I can't see it being more than 1 every 2-3 months. The biggest job is doing it retrospectively. Glad you like the idea.

metallix said:
And yes, this is a good idea because General RPG Discussion is a very messy place, where completely noninformative (rpg design wise) topics get shuffled with the true jewels of our forum.

However, due to the chaotic nature of the forum, only the truely best threads should be separated from the masses, because otherwise you'll have to move a good half or even more of various threads to this new forum, because almost every one of them contains some insightful rpg discussions (that's the beauty of the codex).

You have completely nailed what I had in mind.

The only modification I'm considering in my mind, is that threads are not moved, but instead copied. That way and minor off topic crap can be eviscerated and a link to the original added. Any abuse of power would be patently obvious to the members and we could go on a lynchin' :twisted:

(EDIT: Slight apologies for the vagely hyperbolic opions - it was just me trying to be amusing. I don't for a minute think that you're only here for the TG's sheek.)

sheek

Arbiter
If it's only a small archive for old threads I don't see any problem. It wouldn't be a forum (since it's locked) so it could be a feature on the RPGCodex main website.

The simplest way to do it would be to have one stickied thread in RPG Dicussion started by a moderator. People can post there suggesting good threads, the moderator chooses and updates his first post with links to those old threads.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Yeah, the moderation part is kind of unfitting.

(what is 'good'?)
THreads which were meant to be about discussing various RPG elements and design patterns, and which actually did bear fruit (unlike some more latter repetitious threads that kept emerging because the poster was just unaware of the fact that such a topic was alrady thoroughly discussed. At the same time, discussing it again is not a bad idea at all... though it could be done in the already existing thread...)

A compromise here is, perhaps, the thread rating system: good, interesting threads wil get some sort of a special indicator. Not necessarily user-voting (which is mostly inefficient), but some "good discussion" indicator.

Section8

Cipher
I think Vault Dweller's suggestion of a sticky thread that collates all the creamy stuff was right up our collective alley. "Innuendo" aside, I honestly think that's a good way to do things, if only because it can be indexed regardless of post dates and such like, whereas a separate forum cannot.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Ha, indeed, the sticky thread-index is much easier and much more effective. All the supermoderators and admins will update it, just as they do the news.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Section8 & Sheek - yeah, I guess the sticky index (oh god, I nearly typed finger - you guys are such a bad influence) of creamy stuff (cmon now, stop laughing for fucks sake! :lol:) is not a bad way of doing things. What do you mean by VD's idea though? I must have missed it. :roll:

Kinda takes the fun out of balancing the site with whole Anti-RetardoLand thing away though. Lets see what people think. Damn I can't change the poll, we'll have to discuss..

Jason

chasing a bee
The simplest way to do it would be to have one stickied thread in RPG Dicussion started by a moderator. People can post there suggesting good threads, the moderator chooses and updates his first post with links to those old threads.

I agree. That would be the easiest way to avoid too many complications and such. And it'll be at the top for everyone to see. Hopefully, it would also be the first thread that newcomers read (after checking out all the hawt Oblivion & sexual fantasy threads on the front page).

callehe

Liturgist
how about make codexers able to give each thread a score, or just a vote? i think some forums have it. those with high scores are actually a "better". might work out with rpgcodex too. and wouldn't be depending on the goodwill of the moderators.

also
there could be one rpggoodness score and one nsfw score too on each thread for people who don't like tubgirl and that kind of stuff.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
how about you just do what I do and sift through all the old posts that were around before I came here and read them all and sometimes come upon a funny or interesting post and then go "huh" and then have a bowl of cereal or something

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
how about make codexers able to give each thread a score, or just a vote? i think some forums have it. those with high scores are actually a "better". might work out with rpgcodex too. and wouldn't be depending on the goodwill of the moderators.
I will organize my army of alts to tear down the ratings of those threads I deem as not-posted-by-kingcomrade :lol:

Frau Bishop

Erudite
I picked six random games and they all were boring and stupid. Are there any nice ones to find? (Tetris excluded, didn't try it, Tetris is always good).

Hazelnut

Erudite
Section8 said:
What do you mean by VD's idea though? I must have missed it.

It was in another thread. Guess I should have pointed that out.

No, it was pretty obvious. I was rolling my eyes at the whole - whoo, I've got a great idea guys.. you're gonna love this.. blah blah.. Oh, so you've already had that idea? Great!

Anyway the general consensus seems to be to have a sticky index of cream in the RPG General forum. We just need someone to actually get it started and do it now.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Will be done today

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom