Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Abandonware/Old Games -- How to Access HoT Underdogs

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
KC, you ought to remove SS2 from that list, spreading it is officially illegal. Not grey, illegal. However, I never, ever heard of the legal department of who the fuck has the license of the game right now that they'd prosecute it. Heck, even HOTU added the game despite it most def. not being Abandonware, so I guess the risk is really tiny, or non-existent.

And jimbob, are you saying HOTU ever ran differently for you?

Fez

Erudite
Relevant for those looking for information on the golden oldie Elite, so I'll post it in here with the rest of these so anyone searching for information on running Elite through an emulator should be able to find it easier. Some useful links there, especially if you happened to be a fan of the old BBC machine or are simply curious about trying it now.

Lord Rocket said:
Strictly speaking, the best Elite game is the Archimedes version ('ArcElite'), at least if you're going by reputation alone. I'd have a more concrete opinion, but my attempts at post-Beeb Acorn emulation were abortive at best, so I never got to try out any of the alleged cool features. This, by the way, is the 'Atari ST' version Skyway is talking about.
The best version I have played would be EliteA, a fan enhanced version of the original, BBC, version of the game. It has a fair amount of the stuff that made Frontier good, but with the original 'dogfighting' combat model. I know some people will try and tell you that Newtonian physics are better, but if you don't regard combat as a chore in Frontier, then there's a good chance you're autistic. Get that checked out.
Real men, of course, play the unadulterated Beeb version, As It Should Be Played. I still have the original manual.

In terms of remakes, The New Kind is quite good. It's basically just a port of the original, but with colour graphics and various other things. Docking is no longer fuck hard though. Here's a download link - bear in mind I haven't (and won't) look in the archive that gets downloaded, by the way.
Oolite is quite fun too. I gather it has a number of the features boasted by the Archimedes version, and is highly moddable. The main problem is the programmers are concentrating more on fancy graphics enhancements instead of OPTIMISING THE DAMN CODE. I find it a bit slow on my shit old PC considering what it is, you may have better luck.

Finally, here's the best BBC emulator (may be a bit slow on very old computers) and a site full of games for your perusal (including Elite and EliteA, of course). The Beeb also has the best versions of Exile, (Super) Defender, and Thrust, so look at those too.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Another abandonware site that doesn't seem to have been mentioned here is at:

http://www.download-full-games.com/

This is actually a reasonably good site with some games I haven't been able to find elsewhere. I got Sanitarium from here a year or so back.

The only downside is that you have to write reviews of games to get 'download credits.' The reviews only need to be 100 words or so. After playing Sanitarium I wrote a review of it, and the site owner liked my review so much that she gave me 20 download creds. For some reason my review of Sanitarium never appeared on the site.

Anyway, it's not the greatest abandonware site, but it's ok.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
It looks like the Underdogs is down again. The Wiki agrees with me (at the time of writing), but I'm sort of hoping that somehow here will know better.

http://www.classic-pc-games.com/

I've already downloaded system shock with it after failing to find it on some sites posted here. Good site, all they ask of you is to sign up to a sponser (3 games), or write a 400 word game review (25 games) a minute of time per game is a small price to pay.

Underdogs is not down so much as decaying.

The owner has not updated the site in years, and the downloads have all gone along with manuals and even the pictures of the box's and games. You can still read about the games and go to the forums but that is about it. The corpse is slowly rotting away....

Lord Rocket

Erudite
After a fashion, anyway. I understand hard drive failure was the cause of the outage?
Anyway, it might be wise to archive as many games as you can get before the whole thing sinks like a stone. If nothing else, the files could be donated to a different site when HOTU finally shits itself for good.

Hory

Erudite
It seems silly to me that it has to be gone for good.
How hard would it be to mirror the informative content for archival purposes, and secondarily even make a mega-torrent of the downloads?

There was some chap who wanted to host HotU on his own server. He asked, cajoled, begged with the owner and never got an answer. Far as I know he downloaded the site anyway, including all the info, but refused to create a new site until the original owner gave him permission.

Read this all on the HotU forums before it went bellyup.

MisterStone

Arcane
They are now announcing that they are "back". Woo hoo!

Not sure what changed over 2-3 months ago, but the database seems to be there.

I have some invites to Underground Gamer if anyone is interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom