Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Abandonware/Old Games -- How to Access HoT Underdogs

oscar

Arcane
Anyone played that Farcolony game mentioned back in page 3? It seems to still be getting updates.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I wouldn't bother with Home of the Underdogs. Doesn't the fuck stick who runs it know how to renew a simple domain name? FFS how many locations does it need to go through.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
One thing I always wondered is wether or not what GOG has been doing to most old games removed them from the realms of "abandonware"/limbo of coyprights. Did it?

I mean, there are many games being sold by gog that you can find for free on abandonware sites.

visions

Arcane
Technically, I am p. sure it did. Also more well known abandoware sites like HOTUD and Abandonia at least take down the download links to games officially sold on gog (or elsewhere) and replace these with links to where you can legally buy the game.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Thanks for the reply. While I recognize that GOG does a decent job of bringing old games to people that are not bright enough to set up dosbox, I do find it kind of bad that you have to pay for these games considering most the developers/publishers no longer exist. I doubt that the people that created these games are getting anything out of their sales.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is a matter of principle. If the game is sold, then it is sold. It is not up to the sites to decide if that's right or wrong and if the developer gets compensated.

There have always been pirates who've disobeyed the scene rules, and always will be.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
There have always been pirates who've disobeyed the scene rules, and always will be.
pirateshd.jpg

The code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Wordwyrm

Novice
Don't know if someone else has mentioned this, but Master of Magic (linked in the first post) is no longer abandonware. It's now on sale at GOG.com.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom