Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Abandonware?

Discussion in 'Prelude To Darkness' started by chaedwards, May 18, 2005.

1. chaedwards Liturgist

chaedwards
    Seeing as the website is now showing only the Beta download as discussed here, and don't seem to be replying to e-mails, as mentioned here, do you think the game now counts as abandonware?

^ Top  
  2. chaedwards Liturgist

chaedwards
    Well, I e-mailed Mat Williams at Tilted Mill, so let's see if there's a reponse:

^ Top  
  3. Shagnak Shagadelic

Shagnak
    It's all a bit odd, isn't it? And it seemed to have at least some acclaim.
    Keep us aprised chaedwards.

^ Top  
  4. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    This was one of the best indie rpg's I ever played. I really digged the way that stats really influenced all sorts of encounters and quests. It's been a long time since the site was updated and it seems that at least on of the people responsible for ptd has gone and worked on children of the nile.

Would be neat if they released this baby as abandonware, this way it's just destined to be forgotten by all.
    Cya,

Trash

^ Top  
  5. chaedwards Liturgist

chaedwards
    Well, I got a snotty reply back from Tilted Mill telling me that their e-mail address was a courtesy address to be used to inquire about their products, so no joy there, and I can't think of another obvious way to try to contact the devs. This one seems to be pretty much dead in the water - condemned to internet limbo.

So I thought fuck it, and bought Geneforge 2 and Blades of Exile instead.

^ Top  
  6. thathmew Zero Sum Software Developer

thathmew
    I am actually alive. The Zero Sum site and emails are having issues and have been for a while. Prelude is not quite abandonware, although I think it likely we will soon release the full version to the public for free consumption. The team has spread to the four corners of the earth and work has ceased on it for a while, although I still dabble occassionally on engine re-writes. Tilted Mill takes up pretty much %100 of my time for better or worse.

Your email did get passed on to me. mat@zero-sum.com sometimes gets through, mat_williams@yahoo.com as well.

-mat

^ Top  
  7. chaedwards Liturgist

chaedwards
    Glad to hear that it's still going Mat, and that my e-mail did get through, although I am surprised, given the brief conversation I had with Chris Beatrice, who ticked me off like a naughty schoolchild for even thinking of contacting you through a generic tilted mill address.

Anyway, could you answer two quick questions:
    Is the game still for sale? There are websites, such as the one I mentioned in the e-mail, that are still claiming to sell it. Is this money getting through to you?

Have you dealt with RekoT's loss of his registration code, as mentioned here http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3665?

I came upon Prelude rather late, and having read the comments here, it seems very cool. Next time I have some spare pocket money, I'll probably buy it, if the mechanisms for selling it are still working.

All the best,

Chris

^ Top  
  8. Lancaster Novice

Lancaster
    Is there a demo somewhere?

^ Top  
  9. Fez Erudite

Fez
    If you go to the developer's website you'll find a link there for an old demo version.

Newer demo versions can be found here or here.

^ Top  
  10. Lancaster Novice

Lancaster
  11. Naked_Lunch Erudite

Naked_Lunch
    So um, is this still going? I heard that ZeroSum ran out of cash or something, is that true?

And uh, if it is, you guys wouldn't mind giving it away for free would ya? ;)

^ Top  
  12. Hello and Goodbye Novice

Hello and Goodbye
    Unless Thatmhew can give you a procedure, be aware that a registered copy loses registration when moving to a newer computer. I learned that lesson in Aug 2004 and the game suddenly acted like the demo again.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Atrokkus Erudite

Atrokkus
    Is there a free version?

I wouldn't mind paying for it, of course, but I don't have the means.. that is, i have money that i would readily give to you, but i can't make a transaction: no credit-card, no paypal.

^ Top  
  14. Jora Arcane

Jora
    Not yet. It's coming soon, though. Read the last posts in the thread "Hello again from Zero Sum".

^ Top  
  15. Naked_Lunch Erudite

Naked_Lunch
    In a month or so there will be.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.