Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Abduction driven story in rpgs?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Abductions in RPGs are almost always retarded, either because you're at a level where you should roflstomp any guards, and more powerful guys wouldn't abduct you, just kill you, never makes sense overall

but to want that happen to you repeatedly, that's just mind-bogglingly stupid

In a True RPG(tm), players will rightly demand the ability to be able to anticipate and prevent their own abduction.
THats only when you think in terms of getting ambushed in the woods. Regular adventurer needs to sleep, eat, drink at the tavern.

Generic way would be like you enter a town with 4 criminal bosses and each taking turns in abducting you to learn what did you tell the other and so on. PC would just keep making jokes like "not again" or "you have my phone number you know".
If its to be recurring theme you cant have it as serious theme.

3 dons, 3 beat comedy. Third time around, it would be the player demanding a reception with one of the dons, and said don repeatedly cutting him off and insisting "no, this is a kidnapping. I've got appearances to maintain!"

Fourth time around, it would be the player letting himself get kidnapped by whichever of the dons he's decided to kill.

How has no one mentioned Fallout 1? Being abducted by Super Mutants on my first playthrough, being imprisoned in their base, then having to fight my way out with ungodly amounts of saving and reloading was what made me fall love with Fallout and cRPGs in general.

Because that's the kind of encounter you only love once, and (contrary to thread), the "entire party gets kidnapped and loses all their fucking gear (sometimes for a chapter, sometimes forever)" was a fairly regular occurrence in pre-infinity engine 90s crpgs.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
guys let me clarify again. Its not about starting a story in abducted state - bg2, bethesda games and so on.
Its also not about getting abducted once, nor side quests counts like in skyrim breaking out of prison or assassins guild. Reason being: together they dont from a consistent story.

Im talking about PC being abducted few times as part of main story line and it being crucial to narrative.
I missed this, but, I'm pretty sure the reason they do this in games like FC5 is to drive the plot along. It's a huge open world game, but they want to tell a somewhat linear narrative, so they need a way to move the player from point A to point B in order to have the plot advance; it also allows "stuff" to happen in between when you are abducted and when you go free, so they are able to change the gameworld in a way that seems natural. This was done in FC2 as well for the same reason; in other FPS games like FEAR or Crysis the player character is often knocked out, reason being that they in the interim they can alter the level in some way or have time advance in way that is meaningful to the plot. Being knocked/abducted is like the equivalent of a cut in film editing. It's not well suited to cRPGs because narratives in a cRPG are, or should be, more freeform, with the player choosing to advance the plot at their own pace. The game Fable did have a section where the protagonist is imprisoned, causing a 1 year time skip to occur and subsequently some changes to occur in the gameworld.

How has no one mentioned Fallout 1? Being abducted by Super Mutants on my first playthrough, being imprisoned in their base, then having to fight my way out with ungodly amounts of saving and reloading was what made me fall love with Fallout and cRPGs in general.

Because that's the kind of encounter you only love once, and (contrary to thread), the "entire party gets kidnapped and loses all their fucking gear (sometimes for a chapter, sometimes forever)" was a fairly regular occurrence in pre-infinity engine 90s crpgs.
Like which? In Wizardry 4 and Dark Sun you start out in prison but that's not really the same.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Just from stuff I played recently, one of the gold box Savage Frontier games did it, Dragon Wars as well, and I remember a lot of other games doing it, though I think it was actually more prevalent in jRPGs

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Hay everyone! I have an original idea that I saw in this FPS! It's called Hit points! Yes, it's a little too difficult for you plebeians to understand, but what if games had a manner of tracking the players health using ... numbers! No, no, you don't seem to grasp the nuance and complexity of my thoughts. This is entirely original. Now, what if a game used "hit points" for the entirety of the game? Hmm! That is, rather than having hit points here an there, the game actually TRACKS this for the entirety of your journey! I just saw this in Diablo 3! iWhat? You say they have been around since Skyrim? Fools! You obviously don't grasp the creative magnitude of what I"m trying to articulate!

Odd bodkins, my brilliance is verily lost on ye unwashed nitwits!

Delterius

Arcane
Better switch jobs and become a baker
Delterius i think Jarl is talking about path of illusionist.

You must be extremely adept at adventuring if you wish to pursue the Path of Yeast and Salt. Imagine, civilians facing off against the Fire of St. Anthony. It would be a massacre.
Worst job ever. I'll never work in a bakery again. Almost 15 years working on that hell.
what if you were abducted and had to bake amazing loaf to break free
Yes, now Viata is ready for greater things. 15 years in hell, what an amazing character backstory right there.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The constant abductions in Far Cry 5 are utterly retarded. Worst element of an already stupid plot.

OP, I think you need to play ADwR, you'll get not only abducted, but also raped as a bonus! Oh, and one of your party members gets abducted more than three times (Pia, I think she just likes it though).

Doktor Best

Arcane
On late night tv i have once seen a documentary about the work of a domina prostitute. She had one client, some rich businessman, who wanted her to abduct him. She forced him to undress and put him in a small metal container that was just big enough for him not to suffocate. She loaded the box into a car with a lift truck, drove into the woods and dropped it off. Then she went into a cafeteria to have coffee and read a book for several hours. Finally, she drove back and freed him, but left him standing in the woods. Naked. He paid her a thousand € for that i think.

Maybe OP is that guy.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
guys let me clarify again. Its not about starting a story in abducted state - bg2, bethesda games and so on.
Its also not about getting abducted once, nor side quests counts like in skyrim breaking out of prison or assassins guild. Reason being: together they dont from a consistent story.

Im talking about PC being abducted few times as part of main story line and it being crucial to narrative.

World's End if you want to label as RPG, but it is more a tactical game. The party get abducted and imprisoned many times if I remember well.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Chronicles of Riddick. You get jailed again and again and....
FF VIII you are jailed and one of main characters is moved to the desert to be shot.
FF VII Tifa is sentenced to death in gas chamber.

FF XII the area where you get Bash.
Chaos strikes back.

Edit: Mass Effect 2 had funny moment where the story behaves realistically and Shepard finds himself in funny situation in jail.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Reminds me of an episode of Remington Steele. Their secretary gets abducted and they spent the entire episode trying to find her, only for, right at the end, the kidnappers to drop her off back at the office and drive off with squealing tires in sheer terror.

Master

Arbiter
You could get imprisoned and escape in Darklands in a text adventure style (or was that another game?), Space Rangers 2 has possibly the best prisonbreak sequence done this way. But it doesnt fit OPs criteria of
it being crucial to narrative.
I dont think such a thing exists.

vota DC

Augur

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom