Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

About BloodBowl. Tactics, replays, doubts.

desocupado

Magister
Few things.

First, how stunty works. It says "ignore tackle zones" but that isn't actually true, you see stunty players having to dodge and failing dodges. Can anybody explain that?

Second, I usually have trouble against teams of superior strenght. Jaedar too, played DE against my Necromantic, and was complaining about the same thing. How you do that, how do you compete with team of say, Wood Elves or Skaven, against Chaos, Nurgle, Undead, and other bashers?

Third, what about some pro replays or at least some heavy tactics stuff? If those exist, where can I find them? Seeing a replay of a faggy elf team against a basher would do wonders to my tactics (probably).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Stunty means that you always have +1 modifier to your dodge rolls for dodging into an "empty square". Normally, you have +1 base, and then -1 for each players tacke zone you dodge into.

desocupado

Magister
Oh, that's what it means by "ignore tackle zones". Ignore the TZ modifier! Fucking description could be a bit clearer.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Second, I usually have trouble against teams of superior strenght. Jaedar too, played DE against my Necromantic, and was complaining about the same thing. How you do that, how do you compete with team of say, Wood Elves or Skaven, against Chaos, Nurgle, Undead, and other bashers?

Third, what about some pro replays or at least some heavy tactics stuff? If those exist, where can I find them? Seeing a replay of a faggy elf team against a basher would do wonders to my tactics (probably).

You can try hunting down and watching some of my replays. :smug:

Defense against a bashier team is all about not getting bogged down into a fight and slowing their advance. Don't let them turn the game into a wrestling match or you're going to lose. Every turn on defense, your goal should be to keep all of your players out of contact with theirs. That mostly means dodging one square back out of tackle zones and the occasional hit/push when the opportunity arises. If you can do that, the opposition can only hit one of your guys on their turn by using a blitz. As you're doing that you want to form sort of a net around their cage by laying down as many tackle zones as you can, at least two guys deep. The net will restrict their movement down field to one square a turn. You go two guys deep, so that when they blitz one guy down, the man behind prevents them from advancing any further. That right there is your bread and butter.

You can also try going aggressively after the ball immediately after kick off before they can form a cage. I've scored plenty of defensive touchdowns this way on bumbling brutes that couldn't pick up the damn ball. If you fail, fall back into the net.

Since ball handling teams have no problem scoring often and quickly, I like to focus my level ups on defensive skills. Guard is rare, but an absolute must if you can get it. Not only does it help defend the players forming your net, but it opens up opportunities to start attacking the cage. Dodge is great for all the jumping away you need to do to get out of tackle zones so you don't get clobbered. Strip ball is an amazing skill against bashy teams. Most bashy teams don't have a lot of sure hands and they all tend to have low agility. Knocking the ball to the ground can greatly delay their drive and open up defensive scoring opportunities.

Captain Shrek

What I have learned so far (which is NOT much unfortunately):

As a general rule speed teams are always superior to heavy teams. Although, there are teams that can and do have both : Lizards.

Stick to your strengths: If you are playing a STR team like Khemri DO NOT play the throwing, dodging game. Try to pound the opposition into the ground at the first opportunity to reduce odds of being beaten with speed tactics.

Teams with extreme stats are for PROs. Do not choose Wood elves, Khemri or Ogres in competitions. Rather use the balanced teams such as Orcs, High Elves or Dwarves for chain events. Once mastered through normal non-tournament games, extreme stat teams can become terribly good at blitzing through the field.

Do not play Vampires. Ne pas.

Eyeball

Arcane
If you aren't already, get on FUMBBL. Besides being easier to find games there, it also hosts replays of every match ever played in the engine as well as having a "spectate ongoing match" function. Lots of tactics to pick up that way.

I'm far from a pro there, been playing a few weeks with a 35% win percentage or something, but here is my understanding of light vs heavy so far:

Speedy teams win more matches but are way more fragile. If facing a speedy dodgy high AGI team, a good bashy player will go for the 2-1 grind. The 2-1 grind means gaming the rules somewhat, which is faggotassy, but it works. Basically, a bashy team will begin the match by letting you have the ball and more or less letting you score while trying to inflict as much hurt on your guys as possible and making it impossible for you to stall via the threat of killing all your guys with blocks and fouls or threatening your ball carrier. Then, once you have scored, they will use the remaining turns of the half to rumble down the field and score in the last turn of the first half. For the second half, they will receive the ball, which they will then hold on to for the entire half while pummeling the shit out of your faggot elves or ratmen, stalling like hell and scoring in turn 16, bringing the score to 2-1.

To counter this, you need to be able to do two things: Score enough to make such playing-it-safe strategies ineffective and keep your guys from getting too close and personal with enemy players with superior armour, strength and blocking skills. You can keep your guys safe by playing to your strengths: High agility and dodging skill. As your guys will get smoked in a stand-up fight, make a 1 tile dodge away from the bruisier players you don't want to fuck with. As they can only make 1 blitz per turn, all but 1 of your guys can then avoid getting pimpslapped, and the tackle zones of your dodgy characters will hinder the mobility of the opposition as much as if you'd been marking them by standing next to them. Do this well enough and you may be able to prevent the slower bashers from scoring for long enough to make the 1st half end 1-0 or alternatively blitz them for the ball and end the half 2-0. I tend to play orcs, so I can't really comment more specifically on good elf-scoring tactics, but many people here are Pro Bros and should be able to help you out.

BB is a pretty tough game with a lot of potential for RAEG! when the dice fuck you over. Thing is, good players will beat bad players 9/10 times by minimising the impact of the dice, which is the entire charm of the game, really. Expect to lose a hell of a lot before stuff begins making sense. I'm now at the point where I can draw as many matches as I lose, now I just gotta figure out how to convincingly WIN without using bitch tactics.

Also, read this website, it's really good: http://bbtactics.com/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom