Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

About To Hell With Guns and Note of the outskirts - released

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
1) 1.0.3, as well as 1.0.11
When you select "collect credits" - $ - through keybinding, fourth character is selected instead. Someone forgot to check pressed Shift.
2) When you reload your hunting rifle, sometimes there are two "reload" commands. When you reloaded your weapon, you still get "reloads" last command, so need to manually select "aim". Just change it back to "aim" or just "guards", that will be better.
Same with successful using of extinguishers and bandages.
EDIT: Damn, my character just changed "reloads" to "guards". Will test more.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Thanks.
When you select "collect credits" - $ - through keybinding, fourth character is selected instead. Someone forgot to check pressed Shift.
Oops, never got something like that because I have got an AZERTY keyboard. I guess I'll switch to a letter just to be sure.
2) When you reload your hunting rifle, sometimes there are two "reload" commands. When you reloaded your weapon, you still get "reloads" last command, so need to manually select "aim". Just change it back to "aim" or just "guards", that will be better.
Yes, this is not very good, that and the character HPs and status updating as the log updates instead of at the beginning of the round are two things I need to take the time to redo.

In general when you have enough ammo to reload then after Reloading the character will switch to Guard because he can't reload anymore (but maybe he still won't if he has got a computer to reload or something, there must be weird cases). One problem is that it can leave a (x0) quantity of ammo and then you can still use the reload command when you actually can't reload anymore (so the character will keep the reload command as long as his weapon is not full), I'll change that since it's technically a bug but in that case the character is fucked anyway because he's got no ammo :) (not because the command is still there), a friend even told me he likes that it is thrown at his face that he has no ammo when opening the inventory by seeing the (x0) instead of nothing, I'll change anyway.

What is true is that when I did that I changed to "Guard" because I thought there is no real default "Attack" option but the truth is that the first attack of the weapon is already used in some places (it determines the numbers in the character's sheet) so it must in fact be very possible to choose that one instead of "Guard".

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm enjoyed your last game and enjoying your new one, BTW. Now I'm in right upper corner of the map, trying to figure mechanics and gain second level. Some quick questions:
1)Can you disarm traps?
Probably you could add traps to map.
2)Are skills only raised through training? There are no use-raised skills?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I was thrown out of shop (nice touch, I remember this system from To Hell with Guns), returned when it was 2 hours left to enter shop and stuck in this spot. I could only attack shopkeeper and could not move.
Probably game thought that shop is open and tried to bring buying screen, but could not because some flag was not set.
I think I tried to press Esc fruitlessly.
Can't replicate now.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I was thrown out of shop (nice touch, I remember this system from To Hell with Guns), returned when it was 2 hours left to enter shop and stuck in this spot. I could only attack shopkeeper and could not move.
Probably game thought that shop is open and tried to bring buying screen, but could not because some flag was not set.
I think I tried to press Esc fruitlessly.
Can't replicate now.
Someone else got this one too, he could not walk anymore on the shop tile. I think opening the inventory of a character and closing it worked for him. I didn't not manage to replicate it (I can't say I spent ton of time though').

ESC is not available there because I made the menu not available but I can't remember why (in some places the menu would be special, typically adventurer's guild/recruitment office).

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
1) journal - add entry - write something
2)press "delete entry" - instant freeze. I waited for several minutes, but alas.
After some testing:
Added two entries. One is deletable, two freeze the game.
Obviously, you can't delete last entry, probably something with this list becoming empty.
<log><items>Day 2, 04:02 PM , (5,68,4) : "test"</items><items>Day 2, 04:02 PM , (5,68,4) : "test2"</items></log>

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
OK, this is a big change and it is also not a critical bug fix, I hope it does not add more problems than it fixes but the risks exists so in order not to repeat the same mistake that with 1.0.8 I just released the adjustment in a beta version (1.0.12b1).

Now characters should use the first attack of their weapon by default (instead of guarding like they used to do) and there should be less cases of characters trying to reload while they can't.

Feel free to check it.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
And radiation, forbidden zone and another level. Here I go. I just need to buy that Geiger's counter.
EDIT: FUCK THAT SWALLOWING AND RAMMING WORM, I'M OUT OF HERE! Half of my party is dead in two rounds.
EDIT2: The moving invisible wall was a very nice touch. I always loved In the Walls of Eryx.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Not sure what'll come from this, but I've spent the last weeks on a game editor.

More of a game creation tool, actually, since trying to load Note of the outskirts (or To Hell With Guns) would simply make it crash. The engine of To Hell With Guns is obsolete, while in Note of the outskirts plenty of unique puzzle mechanics and other things are not acknowledged by the editor.
CaNoMFW.png

Among the main limitations, feats and Status changes are hardcoded. This won't change any soon.

Also you can't change the combat system and related formulae, although' in the future I'll likely add some flexibility regarding formulae. Currently the game can only take place in a single tower (a couple of maps on top of each other), because it requires extra features (like a way to go from one dungeon to another) and also extra testing.

Here's the content I started with. A bunch of images you can replace at will, as well as the font file that you can replace too :

I did not change the current behaviour of the game when creating the editor, and one annoying thing which will require some tweak is that currently descriptions about evertyhing (attributes, weapons, attacks ...) can't be accessed directly via the editor because they are directly linked with a key whose name is derivative of the name of the thing, you need to access the translation files inside the game file and add an entry with the THING_DESC key. That's quite convoluted.

So let's begin, here is an overlook of the current features of the editor.

Settings

You can change the font and background colors.
Some simulationist elements (armor durability, food mechanics) can be disabled.
You can set the party size.
You can choose if the game uses feats or not, and whether it uses spells, although' spells are currently disabled because they require extra testing.
Some variables of formulae about levelling up can be changed, although' it's straightfoward and will likely need more flexibility.
Finally the possibility to recruit all monsters you encounter is currently disabled because it needs some extra testing but in the future it will be possible to select that option.
G0Xk7OP.png
lWJH4bY.png

Attributes

meTYx6f.png

You can create the main attributes, which are basically just a name (and a description).
T788mJK.png

Then you can create skills and potentially link those with a list of attributes.
aj94Y5j.png

Finally, so that they've any usage, you link the direct mechanics of the game with the chosen attribute or skill. Note that in the doubt you should probably rather fill all the boxes, even if not filling some specific boxes can be a way to disable a mechanics. Some boxes are disabled because they correspond to mechanics which are not implemented or need more testing.
x2C6cx1.png

Archetypes

If you've played Note of the outskirts or To Hell With Guns you know the game is currently basically classless, with a single "Archetype" choice at creation which would correspond to a Race rather than a class in D&D.
lCO3LT0.png

Currently you can put bonuses to stats. On top of attributes and skills that also includes various direct stats like HP regeneration and maximum inventory weight. Also very soon you will be able to add properties.
zyPO0Cs.png

Resistances and Types of damage

You can choose the names of the resistances used in the game.
Kb5sDlp.png

Some status changes, especially, as well as falling down, bash and such mechanics require a resistance, so you need to link already implemented mechanics with a particular resistance.
DBNzjF2.png

For the rest you create the damage types and link those to a resistance. You can directly add a list of status changes to a damage type. There will be a risk to get those each time damage of the such type will be taken. For status changes other than broken members which are automatically serious you can add the status change either to regular critical hits or only to serious critical hits. Of course it'll be also possible to link status changes only to particular attacks, which will be detailed later.
yfZvSBF.png

You're also asked which type of damage the basic bare-fist attacks use.

Ammo type

You will decide of the types of ammo used by the game.
1dmOISw.png

Items

Items and enemies require a lot of infos so you choose to create a New item, or select an item to Delete or Open and the screen for this item is opened. There's a Save as button so you can use a previous item to create a new one.
H1to1TA.png

Different items may require different info. Common info includes weight and value (= selling base price, the lowest price which can appear). For an equippable item you need to choose the slot, select if it will require any surgery (I just noticed the Frenglish) to attach/detach and determines the intimidation score which is hidden in the game but used for intimidation checks, you also set the extra properties gained by the character when the character is equipped with the item.
cyPybFW.png

Non combat mechanics implemented in the game (Cut Trees, Jump over next tile, Freeze water ...) can be attached to the item. Note that healing and such you will declare in combat skills but they will also be available outside combat.
3OJrRdo.png

Combat actions (used by items and spells as well as directly by enemies) require specific info such as the name and texts displayed in character's line and log.
The type of action is quite limited at this point, overall add/remove status changes and damage, no hp healing for example and many combinations are not available, one reason was that there can be only one target, for example one ally or a group of enemy, because it can become convoluted when you need to choose multiple targets, but even with this limitation it could be better, I'll need to rework that part quite a bit. You choose the speed which is used to compute initiative order.
b0yT4BA.png

For on attack you choose if it targets one enemy, one group of enemies or all enemies, a range, if it uses ammo and if it's a weapon throwing, the stat linked with chances to hit (which can be an attribute such as Agility just like a skill such as Swords), if it uses multiple hits per round when available (by default it does for one target and does not for multiple targets, and I need to double check if your choice does matter). Then you choose a list of "damage" all including various status changes and damage dices. Note that if the damage dices are D0 then a possible status change will be more easily applied.
Y5lR8nx.png

Enemies

VEoXY8b.png
The current behaviour is that the image depends on the name (it is displayed so you should see whenever there's a problem).
You define rewards when defeating the enemy, whether it is possible to use the different speech skills before combat with such an enemy, two hidden stats : a more courageous enemy will be less likely to flee when it's damaged and/or its friends are dead, while hostility is used to determine if a group of enemies will be more likely to be hostile (it's rolled, not deterministic), which makes speech checks harder and if enemies are not hostile you can leave without requiring a fleeing check. Hostility is also relevant because very hostile enemies can't appear with very friendly ones (for example in Note of the outskirts if I remember right guards can appear with robots and animals, bandits can appear with robots and animals but bandits can't appear with guards).
EgswZti.png

You determine the enemy's stats, the properties and some "types" which can be relevant for certain properties for example (extra damage against flying enemies and such), also equippable parts will be important for recruited enemies.
GUIAcAX.png

You can also give them some equipment, inventory (typically extra ammo), and also extra treasure left when defeated (junk ...).
mLRr1Mn.png

You choose the attacks they will use (other than from their equipment), and especially you choose the chance to use each attack (it's a ratio, if one has a chance of 2 and another a chance of 3 then the enemy will have 2 chances over 5 to use the first one and 3 chances over five to use the second one).
xKSLfcO.png

Regarding weapons you don't choose the chance for each attack, only the chance to use the weapon instead of something else. You can also add a chance to call for help or use a spell from the learnt ones.
FzwQis2.png

Default party

You can define a default party of characters, defining their stats, feats, and starting equipment.
yY6U9m6.png

Tiles

Before talking about maps creation let's briefly talk about tiles. It's really not the most handy part, it's where you choose what image the game will use for most type of tiles (there's a specificity for closed doors, which I need to handle because it's not clear at all, to say the least, and anyway there's no way to directly know the effects of what you're changing).
You choose a couple of square zones which will use the current images. It's a bit convoluted but as long as you only use one type per floor I think it's usable (except for the closed door exception).
You also choose a background which can be different during night and day.
mFyVbev.png

Maps

HVLLuII.png

There's currently something dumb related to maps, you just load independent files, and you can make maps of any size, but then you eventually want maps of the same size, maybe I should handle this, it's not clear if you've not idea.
mEZcJ4v.png

The map editor is helped by a small window where you choose the types of tile to place on the map.
8nXNjud.png

You also set the enemies which will be likely to appear in random encounters on this map (here our lonely juggler).
1UupLTd.png

VJ5MMM7.png

Extra info is asked if the tile requires it, such as the enemies of a fixed encounter,
zqA3c5D.png

the content of a treasure,
2UZDkUG.png

the target of a teleporter (that you need to choose by typing coordinates because it does not have to be on this map)
5eUIdw4.png

and the content of a shop, including the the encounter triggered by attacking the shop (here the message is the translation key of the default message).
5nY6VPb.png
ZBNAGeN.png

For one way doors you choose the material which will determine the difficulty to bash and break with explosives, and for doors closed with a key you will also choose the type of lock, which determines the key and also the difficulty to pick.
3Mtn5yu.png
ZmlTN48.png

From events using the generic "E" type are currently available inns,
I32ikHc.png

messages to decipher,
ibhCkmP.png

and riddles which will open a door which can be anywhere else on the same level, and answering the riddle will also remove encounters adjacent to the door.
jbidxk6.png

Note that for events, treasures, shops, you can choose to display a specific image which must be put in the event folder (which contains enemy image files).
i5PKkC5.png

Also checking this text I realize there's no interface to add monsters' Hints. I need to add that.

Dungeon

You place your maps on a 3d grid, although' at the moment it's just a tower.
xRAPum1.png

Note that you can really do mistakes when creating a dungeon (while one of the two main purposes of the editor is that you can't, unlike with directly working on the xml files, the second purpose being that you're aware of available stuff) but some mistakes can be checked (in this case the top map has upstairs and downstairs while on top and while the below map has no upstairs).
xP9Kwn4.png

hhXK7cw.png

You can define the beginning point of the game, which is very unhandy, but when you save the dungeon you can choose for the editor simply to find the first guild it can find and put it there.
mZ3HGTE.png

That's it.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'm doing some scanning, so here are the paper draft of the dungeons of To Hell With Guns and From A Lost Tunnel (you should probably not look if you intend to play any of the two games).

To Hell With Guns :
bGIGOou.jpg

From a Lost Tunnel :
IsRKKlR.jpg

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
With the next Dungeon Crawler Game Jam coming in a few days, and I'm probably going to make something (I feel like making a Gold Box-type game this time, but this might be too ambitious, I'm not certain even basic behaviour like enemies coming towards your character to attack them and so is doable for me in such a tight period), I can briefly talk about the entry we made last year together with @Grauken.
Welcome to the Night Land. The sun and stars have died long ago and our present day is not even a memory. What remains of humanity survives in massive arcologies called Redoubts on a dark, cold Earth full of things that go bump in the night. But you usually don't enter the night lands if you don't have a reason. And then the power station of your Redoubt is failing.
N5gd8U.png
@Grauken made the dungeon, including atmospheric story bits, monster placement, etc., I made the combat system.

Unlike my previous entries, not as much adapted to a format where players, not always familiar with the tropes, will quickly play plenty of games, we tried to make an immediately playable game, with straightforward control, automatic saving and plenty of extra feedback both inside as outside combat compared with my previous entries. It's something I'd prefer not to do with my bigger games, gateway blobbers with stats disconnected from not-combat and all get released once in a while, while the kind of simulationist games I want to play, with plenty of different stats, skills, tools and approaches to solve exploration issues that you'll have to discover as you play, are far and between and I can't complain nobody makes those if I don't either. Therefore for normal length games I'll try to keep making demanding, simulationist games. For Game Jams, however, I think the "Etrian Odyssey" approach is fine. I'll certainly use this approach again this time, although I also want to include one special exploration ability for each pickable character, like for instance swimming.

The twist regarding combat is that you choose 3 characters from 4 available in the beginning of the game and each combination of 2 or 3 characters comes with a unique move.

You'll need to draw your own map.

You can check the game here : https://cryptrat.itch.io/incursion-of-the-night.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Was this based on the novel The Night Land, by William Hope Hodgson, CryptRat and Grauken?

It looks fun, I'm going to give it a whirl.

Edit: just saw the shout-out to WHH on the Itch page, good shit.
Yeah, I always wished someone had done a full-fledged dungeon crawler in the setting, something of the size of Wizardry 7, since the setting is just so rich. So this was our little hommage to it

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally got around to playing Incursion of the Night today. I started it up, died twice in 5 minutes, cursed like a sailor... then dropped the next 5 hours into it without even blinking.

My party was Brawler, Kamikaze, Psion(ic)ist (was that a result of a character limit or something?). They've been crushing everything in their path once I got them rolling. The combo of Brawler being able to shield the party, along with Kamikaze self-buffing and pimp-slapping absolutely anything, means I've had no problems since mistakenly taking on two fights two levels down from where I was supposed to be :-D.

I got to the second level of the Power Station, I might just stop there. I bounced pretty hard off the teleporters. I can sense the pattern in ports but the constant disorientation (especially when I can't map myself out of it) was a little rough for me. I'm sure I could work it out if I go super slow and painstaking. Maybe I'll come back after a break.

All in all great game, sometimes honest-to-God gems come out of those Game Jams and this was one of them imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom